Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
What most people don't realize is that Ferrari is in a very competitive market segment, selling a product that is both a car and a luxury item to a relatively small, finicky and demanding clientele. Aston and Lambo have been trying to compete for years and have struggled. For the first year or two McLaren will benefit from the 'gotta have it!' factor, but once the car isn't new anymore it'll be tough to sell cars.

That being said, McLaren is arguably the 3rd greatest marques in racing history (behind Ferrari and Porsche) and I have no doubt they have the know-how to make a competitive racecar.

While talking strictly from marketing terms I think you are correct, its hard to beat an established marques like Ferrari or Lamborghini, but I still somewhat question your original statement, especially with respect to "performance". I am willing to guess probably 95% of the people who buys these cars are never going to go anywhere near the performance envelope of their cars. Its more than likely that if they did buy any of these cars, McLaren, Ferrari or otherwise, they will discover the same thrill of meshing the gas pedal and be pressed back in their seat. To get them to spend that money will be tricky for McLaren vs someone like Ferrari.

Actual performance, like I said, there is little to judge....