Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Cruze (J300) 2008-2015

Chevrolet Cruze (J300) 2008-2015

2008-08-21

Paris Motor Show Preview: First Images of the Chevrolet Cruze

All-new Chevrolet Cruze features dramatic design

Detroit - The first photographs of Chevrolet's all-new Cruze sedan - making its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show in October - reveal a dynamic four-door coupe that proves exciting design and value are not mutually exclusive.

On sale beginning in Europe from March next year, Cruze features a dramatic re-interpretation of the traditional sedan featuring Chevrolet's new global design language that is becoming a signature on all new products carrying the gold bowtie.

Cruze's arching roof-line, extending from the steeply raked windshield to its sloping rear pillars and short rear deck, brings coupe-like proportions to a compact sedan.

Wider and longer than most of its competitors, Cruze has a purposeful stance with its wheels located at the outer edges of the tautly drawn bodywork. Noticeably tight body panel fits and a restrained use of exterior trim add to a high quality, 'hewn from solid' appearance.

Cruze's dramatic profile is matched by bold front styling, with large headlamp housings that wrap around the front corners and sweep up, arrow-like, into the fenders and sculpted hood. Other distinct design themes include a concave shoulder line, the two-tier grille and a "wheels-out/body-in" stance. Inside, Cruze features a 'twin cockpit' design motif, first introduced in the iconic Corvette sports car.

"Our goal in designing Cruze was to be bold, not evolutionary," says chief designer Taewan Kim. "We wanted to take a big step forward, making a strong design statement for Chevrolet products around the world."

Visitors to the Paris show will see how Chevrolet's progressive design is also reflected in the quality of Cruze's interior. The use of grained surfaces, soft-touch materials and low gloss trim panels ensures a quality ambience that echoes the clean, harmonious design of the exterior.

At launch in Europe, Cruze will be available with 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp/82 kW) and 1.8-liter (140 hp/103 kW) gasoline engines featuring variable valve timing (VVT) on both inlet and exhaust sides, giving more power as well as better fuel economy and lower emissions. A new 2.0-liter turbo diesel, developing 150 hp/ 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque adds power with even greater frugality. Five-speed manual gearboxes and an all-new automatic transmission, Chevrolet's first six-speed application in the compact segment, complete the powertrain menu.

With sales in Europe up by 23 percent for the first six months of 2008, Chevrolet is GM Europe's fastest-growing mainstream brand. The arrival of Cruze spearheads an exciting new product roll-out program that is expected to propel the brand to even greater success.

"We are proud that Europe is leading the introduction for this global product," said Wayne Brannon, Executive Director, Chevrolet Europe. "Chevrolet has always stood for expressive value and Cruze delivers on that promise like never before. It further redefines Chevrolet with its design, quality, materials and great style inside and out. The fit and finish for gaps and interfaces sets a new standard for this segment in Europe and around the world."

Cruze is the result of a development process harnessing GM's global expertise and is the first of a new family of compact products that will deliver world class quality. It will be backed by expected highest scores in all major crash safety ratings.

The Chevrolet Cruze will be available in Europe from March 2009, followed by other global markets with regional-specific engine choices.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    source: media.gm.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

"bold", "dramatic" ? erm ... looks like a Vauxhall Vectra !!
    Anyone know if it's a shared platform solution ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

it looks like they added an extra grille on top of the main one as an afterthought. Does look like a Vauxhall from the front though.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

More eurotrash coming to our shores is always good.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

The question is: is it better than the Cobalt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The question is: is it better than the Cobalt?
    Impossible.

Cobalt>GTR.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Matra: It's the first showing of the Delta 2 platform, apparently.

Fiset, it's not really Eurotrash.. it was primarily engineered in Korea. The NA lot will be built in Ohio... where the cobalt is currently built. This will likely replace it.

I think a million slobalt owners just cried out.. and were silenced. Or however that thing goes.

not a fan of the Cobalt, I think you need to own one in order to understand it...right Fiset?!
    and I'm not a fan of this, even because the idea of a car that should be appreciated by people all around the world without being a supercar or something out of the ordinary it's simply silly. and it's even ugly.

and probably very smaller then the Vectra
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

what is so hard about putting the bar in the middle of the grille like on the malibu?
    f*** it's ugly!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Delta II platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia thanks pimento.

CLassic ... make it sound like a great ground breaking striking Chevrolet design adn guess what ... it IS the Vauxhall Astra
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Delta II platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia thanks pimento.

CLassic ... make it sound like a great ground breaking striking Chevrolet design adn guess what ... it IS the Vauxhall Astra
    the still to born one...

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Fiset, it's not really Eurotrash.. it was primarily engineered in Korea. The NA lot will be built in Ohio... where the cobalt is currently built. This will likely replace it.
    Damn it, I wanted more Euro knowledge in our cars... then again Korea isn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    not a fan of the Cobalt, I think you need to own one in order to understand it...right Fiset?!
    Well I vehemently argued over getting a Civic or a Lancer instead, and failed, and we got the Cobalt since my parents for some reasons prefer American cars. I then argued about getting the Saturn Astra, but also failed. So I learned to like the Cobalt over time... It's a huge step forward over the dodgy Cavalier it replaces.

...but I would have been much more happier with an Astra.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Damn it, I wanted more Euro knowledge in our cars... then again Korea isn't bad either.

Well I vehemently argued over getting a Civic or a Lancer instead, and failed, and we got the Cobalt since my parents for some reasons prefer American cars. I then argued about getting the Saturn Astra, but also failed. So I learned to like the Cobalt over time... It's a huge step forward over the dodgy Cavalier it replaces.

...but I would have been much more happier with an Astra.
    well, I dislike the Astra, and when it came to your side, it was already aging, but, repeating myself, I learned to like our Fiat Stilo too, which is the base of the Astra and which I disliked too. The German car it's a huge step forward, but they remain both two family hatch. no more than that. you can have some fun with them tough, it's all about our attitude .

that extra grill on top is awful. dunno how much of an improvement it will over the cobalt.

Isn't the Saturn Aura a Vauxhall as well? Is it an astra too? Dunno my Vauxhalls...

Thread Information