Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D'oh! Trip to Germany (Picture Intensive)

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Nikon D50 with Sigma 17-70. I was pretty disappointed from a purely photographic perspective, but that was an extremely trivial concern with this trip. This was a once in a lifetime thing for my dad and I.

I really hope to have enough money one day to be able to take him and his best friend (like a second father to me) on a worldwide car tour. Goodwood, the 'Ring, factories, that road in Romania that TopGear went to this season. All of it.
    were you disappointed because of you using the D50 or because of the D50? I have a D50 and love it. never had an issue with it
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I have a weird fascination with the run-down Sudschliefe. I'd love for one day if I was in Europe to walk what would be the sudschliefe and think what once was.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I have a weird fascination with the run-down Sudschliefe. I'd love for one day if I was in Europe to walk what would be the sudschliefe and think what once was.
    Or do what James May did at Brooklands and run a Scalextrix along it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    were you disappointed because of you using the D50 or because of the D50? I have a D50 and love it. never had an issue with it
    Oh neither, I love my D50, I was just overall disappointed with the pictures I took. Again, though, who cares? That wasn't the point of the trip.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I find that, on a holiday, if you spend the whole time trying to set up your shots beautifully, you miss the point of actually being there.

Still, looks like an awesome trip
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Hmm, I guess it was the GP circuit, sorry, see below for foggy memory explanation.
    No probs, trying to help.
    I used to have trouble remembering a weekend in a business trip when asked what I got up to, so know the difficulties
    Man you're asking a lot for the date and time...let's try June 12th, 2009 around 9:30 should be about when we were actually on the track.
    Sorry we didnt' have the webcam capture up back then
    What are the Grüne Hölle and ring°werk? There were several things around there named The Green Hell as you can imagine.
    The Ring Werk is a HUGE new recreation centre built at the GP circuit entrance with many interactive features and museum, Ferrari store, Aston store, BMW show area ( running the Top Gear show soon ) and a "disneyland experience" in motorsport. Cheesy in some places, FANTASTIC in others !
    Grune Holle is a shops, restaurant, bars, clubs area just opposite it.
    Sorry, my memory's not so good and writing this up a year after, things blend together. After mostly a full day's driving, 25km is close enough to call "just outside".
    definately
    I had to go find that pic of Nesselwang to confirm it was it ... and I had spent 2 weeks there. MY defence is, that was 15 years ago. Lovely town, as are many when you get into that area.
    This is what I guess is the GP circuit.
    Yep. That pic's from the Schumacher S looking back to the Dunlop Curve.
    Me setting some hot lap times
    You've avoided the picsorban threat ... however quickly replaced by a timesorban
    Great GP track, how'd you find the kerbs on the left-right before the final right onto main straight ?
    I used them too much and broke the drop links on the RX-8 suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    not yet done it, but in planning.
    Been advised some places are so overgrown to be impassable.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Or do what James May did at Brooklands and run a Scalextrix along it.
    But WHO in Germany would undertake such a crazy thing ?
    As soon as I heard Captain Slow was doing Brooklands I immedately wanted to do Nordschleife But that would be too easy

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I find that, on a holiday, if you spend the whole time trying to set up your shots beautifully, you miss the point of actually being there.
    I find the same and more so with motor sport events and shows.
    ( My worst one was navigating on Carrera Caledonia and on a corkscrew in the Highlands with a Frazer-Nash behind and trying to get a photo through the window with driver cursing at me to read our notes )
    Do it much simpler now, take lots without too much thought and then wade through them later and hope to find a good'un. That way often meet both objectives. Thank you digital
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Digital is a godsend, but at the same time it does mean you have a scattergun approach as opposed to something a little more considered.

I recently waded through a series of photos I took in 2009 for an event and there are bucketloads of good shots there that I couldn't see for the chaff
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

The Ring Werk is a HUGE new recreation centre built at the GP circuit entrance with many interactive features and museum, Ferrari store, Aston store, BMW show area ( running the Top Gear show soon ) and a "disneyland experience" in motorsport. Cheesy in some places, FANTASTIC in others !
    Grune Holle is a shops, restaurant, bars, clubs area just opposite it.

Great GP track, how'd you find the kerbs on the left-right before the final right onto main straight ?
    I used them too much and broke the drop links on the RX-8 suspension
    In that case, no, we didn't check that out, sounds like it would have been worth it though.

I liked that corner, you could just haul ass through it. My favorite though was the hairpin into the steep uphill that crests left. That was a challenging corner every lap, mostly down to getting the shifts right.

I liked that corner, you could just haul ass through it. My favorite though was the hairpin into the steep uphill that crests left. That was a challenging corner every lap, mostly down to getting the shifts right.
    That's the one your pic is of, yeah ?
    I dont' know HOW many laps you'd need to get the line for that blind left entry right. I coudn't find a landmark to help
    Do they put cones out when doing tuition ??

Here you go to jog some memories ....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9hq2EIKLns&feature=channel]YouTube - Nurburgring F1 Grand Prix track session #2 - Part 1/3[/ame]
    ( the black Corvette in front was mate who said he'd show me the better lines as I could NOT get through some of the corners without dramatics. Sadly as soon as we came across a 911 he forgot about me and went off to play )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Great review, sounds like you had a great time over here the only further thing you should have done would have been going to an agency called "Trabi-Safari" and rent a Trabant :P

(a pilgrimage to see my dad’s RS6’s (RIP) birthplace)
    what happened to it?

I want to say it was the one marked as turn 3 on this map.

Thread Information