Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shift 2

Shift 2

They are marketing this game as a real racing game. Not sure if they mean sim but the video looks fantastic!

One thing to note from the article is the drivers head movement from the interior view, that coupled with the sense of speed makes it look so cool

I hope this game doesnt disappoint.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLj_uhFFQ-M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLj_uhFFQ-M[/ame]

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1144255p1.html
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

oh no another release in the "Need for Speed" franchise

Drivers head movement looks an exagerated setting on typical "look to apex" settings in most decent sims. Does look as if they'ce decided to adopt Hollywoods "shaky camera" method to increase feelings of speed and tension. Not sure I'd not get pissed off with that pretty quickly. Looks "good" because it's what folks THINK a race driver sees. Reality is that our eyeball does a great job of removing all those car and head movements from our visual system. So for me it will just annoy GREATLY and get in the way of a simulator.

But it's NfS and so expect good action, but not holding myh breathe on "real" meaning real world racing

Note on the web site it is championing the new GRAPHICS engine for th ehelmet mounted cam abut no mention of the car and track physics engine.

Good game then
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

yea I could care less if its a sim. I like the NFS shift series because its fun to play
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Hopefully they toned down the "overdramatic shaky camera" a bit. I like how they try to give a sense of speed, but in Shift (the first one) IMO they tried a bit too hard to do so. Good to see that Shift 2 will be adopting headtracking, as that actually comes in handy and, if done correctly, makes the racing feel more natural. I mean, who really races without looking to the side everyone once in a while??

Personally, I do feel because of the "shaky camera", Shift is better oriented towards race cars more and road cars less.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

NFS shouldn't be making realistic driving games. They should stick to those insanely unrealistic wall-riding, veyron-drifing, cop-smashing games. Leave the simulation genre to those with the know-how, like GTR on PC, Forza on xbox, and Gran Turismo on PS.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

The best thing about Shift is some of the car models are really good and get converted over to GTR2. Same goes for GRID.

agree with EVERY word in the last 4 posts !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I dont mind games like Shift. I also dont mind the direction they took from Underground through to Undercover, minus Prostreet. Games like Hot Pursuit (3) however are shit, theyre neither Burnout or 21st century NFS.

Only being a 90% sim, as i put it, is more of a plus for me than a negative. I rarely play these games even with all the driver aids turned off to get the pure experience, but i still enjoy the more realistic handling characteristics. Whenever i do try them "pure", its too much frustration with mistakes to attempt it full time let alone invest in a more pure sim.
    I am the Stig

Played the Shift1 Demo actually a day before GT5 arrived, trying to test out the G25 on the PS3. The driving model is loose but the AI offers a bit more spunk than GT....which is not a surprise. But I really don't like the newer racing games's overly used bloom and HDR-like effect....

If my PC is more up to snuff I might play it on PC and can get the modded physics to go with that, but as is I have a ton of driving game on PC thats not getting much seat time...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

not that keen on any of the need for speed games they are not realistic enough for me.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

:whathesaid:
    Might be worth a torrent search in a few months time !!!!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Meh, I want them to make another Underground game. ricing the hell out of a car is good fun for a videogame. Its the only place it should be done. I kind of even enjoyed the fact that you were required to rice your cars out to pass beauty contests basically, enforcing that when you're creating for the public, you have to let good taste go a bit to meet the public's crap tastes. Was entertaining to have a game you could go so far in to it. I don't know of a game since that has let you put neons in your engine bay.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

They really should make a Most Wanted 2. But then I guess the current Hot Pursuit is sort of it.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Most Wanted 2 was technically Carbon.
    I am the Stig

The first and fifth NFSes are still the best. Shift 1 was ok, much more realistic that any of the other later ones but it didn't grab me. For youse that want something more real than usual NFS it's probably worth grabbing the demo when it appears, just for shitzengiggles.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information