Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Miscellaneous

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Rookie

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Or just get a PAL disc and play on your PC to TV....thats how I get some concert DVD....
I have another sneakier and more dubious method of getting around PAL and region encoding, but I'll deny I ever said that.

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
Antoine De Saint-Exupéry
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Fanatic

I know what you mean, but I am just supplying less dubious method of keeping it legal....though I am not actually sure playing PAL disc on PC in NTSC region is actually frown about by the copyright people....
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
It's a difficult one. The rights people wanted all drives in PCs for example to be locked to a region when a user first uses it and then that's it. MOST have a compromise knowing that installs often dont work first time and allow 3 or 4 changes before locked.
Same with commercial players, they are "locked" for import.
So, you are technially breaking copyright.
But as with all tech they missed the point adn instructions abound for removing these checks/limits
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageduck View Post
Amazon currently lists the Italian Import original as 2 DVDs or single Blu-Ray. However it is PAL, Region 2 only, in English, Italian, Portuguese, & Japanese, so it will not do much good unless you have a PAL multi-region player.

NetFlix lists it as wait listed with availability date "unknown". I have saved it to my wish list.
Thanks- it might work with a PS3 then.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Rookie

N.Z.
2 versions of the movie are out btw

a 1 hour 40, & another over 2 & 1/2 hours

the karting world champ terry fullerton was spouting off how senna never got the best of him. i was thinking "yeah - but he went on to multiple formula 1 championships - wth did you ever do!"
Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ Well to be fair it was SENNA who said Terry was the best driver he'd raced against !!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

UK
Saw Senna last night (after tracking down a screening!). Really good documentary, very well edited and the story well told. Some amazing onboard bits too...
Thought Prost got a bit of a hammering but it mellowed a bit in the end.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Just back from watching it.

Excellent documentary on his life and feelings.

Balestre comes over as a complete DICK and prost not far behind !
Interesting to see the Senna "walk out" of the drivers briefing and finally grasp what it was about !!

The scenes of drivers deaths are a little disturbing, not sure if it's remembering it from linve, the extended period or just the big screen.

A definite "must see" for anyone who appreciates motorsport and just the passion of a sportsman.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Novice

I don't know if prost comes over a complete dick, in the end they showed that he was a pallbearer at the funeral and that he is a key contributor to the senna foundation and how senna said that he missed him when they weren't team mates anymore. I reckon it is just that as Senna was the hero of the film, Prost had to be the villain.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Dont think we watched the same movie or lived through the F1 of the time.

Prost was and is a mainpulator. It's what made him great and deserves respect for that level of focus and "Professionalism" to be top dog.

What got me was how MUCH WORSE than I remembered from the time that Balestre was.
(re)Found someone who makes Ecclestone look reasonable and rational
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Fanatic

Perth, Australia
I finally saw Senna. For anyone on this board, it is required viewing.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Northern New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Rockefella Send a message via MSN to Rockefella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
2 versions of the movie are out btw

a 1 hour 40, & another over 2 & 1/2 hours

the karting world champ terry fullerton was spouting off how senna never got the best of him. i was thinking "yeah - but he went on to multiple formula 1 championships - wth did you ever do!"
The best drivers don't always make it big. Money talks.
so is mine
David Fiset says:
do want
Old 01-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kingofthering
According to the Wiki, Fullerton actually did make it big - he won the British Karting championship several times and trained some top-flight drivers.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Fanatic

└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
Finally saw Senna on Netflix; it wasn't what I expected, and was probably the better for it. YouTube docs and such harp on about how Senna was a great driver and a great man, but they rarely show anything demonstrating his goodness as a person. I liked that the movie focused more on the man than the racing, which had been done to death. Prior to watching I would have described Senna as immature, prone to tantrums, and a prima donna from what I've seen. The movie did a lot to elucidate why he'd acted like he had, and while he cannot be completely absolved of his wrongs I can now understand why he is so respected and loved.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
Finally saw Senna on Netflix; it wasn't what I expected, and was probably the better for it. YouTube docs and such harp on about how Senna was a great driver and a great man, but they rarely show anything demonstrating his goodness as a person. I liked that the movie focused more on the man than the racing, which had been done to death. Prior to watching I would have described Senna as immature, prone to tantrums, and a prima donna from what I've seen. The movie did a lot to elucidate why he'd acted like he had, and while he cannot be completely absolved of his wrongs I can now understand why he is so respected and loved.
I was thinking the same thing after I saw it! Though I hardly knew anything of him before seeing the movie. I only knew what a scroll through wikipedia told me. and what I've heard on here. Great movie nonetheless. I tried explaining the movie to my friends and, being used to NASCAR, don't appreciate the different atmosphere of the F1 world and its drivers.