Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XF 4.2

Jaguar XF 4.2

I've had the opportunity to drive this car today. And what a car. Especially compared to the old A6, they are like night and day.

For a start the exterior looks better in person that in pictures, but I still can't help thinking that while it looks good Jaguar has lost a bit of distinctiveness while going modern. The interior however is superb, with excellent modern design. The quality isn't up to the Audi's level, but it's very good anyway. And of course the car had virtually everything, sat-nav, electric and ventilated seats, voice control (which manages to be stupid and pointless at the same time) and the Bowers & Wilkins stereo (which sounded fantastic). The seats though were excellent, supportive and comfortable at the same time, they reminded me of the ones in the Mini. And the driving position was very good too.

But all of this doesn't really matter, what is important is how it drives. And I'm happy to report that it makes the A6 look like a bad car. First the steering, which unlike the A6 this one actually feels connected to the wheels. It's not quite as good as the Mini or the 1er, too light for my taste, but for a big executive saloon it's good. The handling is neutral with no hint of understeer and the car doesn't feel nose heavy, at least nowhere near as much as the Audi did. The car had 19 inch wheels, so there were masses of grip, but while the Audi crashed and bounced on the bumps the Jag seemed to glide over them, riding much better. Admitedly the roads where we drove were quite smooth but still I was pleasantly suprised.

The engine is the old 4.2 litre with about 300bhp. I doesn't feel massively fast, but there's plenty of power for about any situation you might encounter. When you are just cruising around it's very quiet, which contributes to the overall luxury feeling, but if you put your foot hard down it sounds great, up to the redline. It was thirsty though, the trip computer showing a 42l/100km average fuel consumption figure over our admitedly not exactly relaxed drive. The six speed auto is smooth changing most of the time, altough the kickdown felt more urgent and faster in the Audi and the flappy paddles give you full control in Sport mode. It's better than having to change gear with the lever, but overall you still feel a bit detached when you're really going for it compared to the good ol' manual.

All in all a great executive saloon. I loved it.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 02-07-2009 at 07:23 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm interested in the comfort department. how was the sound insulation? not that I would mind trying to hide the V8 sound, but considering the car is going to sell mainly with the diesel engine under the hood, well, it counts.
    assembly, little noises from the cockpit and dashboard, tires' noise? ergonomics, boot access, comfort on the rear seats?
    I would buy this car without caring to these aspect, but it's probably what the ind of customers of such cars look at.
    I agree that the car looks much better in the flesh, and the interiors are even better.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Wow, pretty cool review.

I wish I could drive many other types of cars. I can count all of the ones I've driven on one hand. Then again, how long have I had my license?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I'm interested in the comfort department. how was the sound insulation? not that I would mind trying to hide the V8 sound, but considering the car is going to sell mainly with the diesel engine under the hood, well, it counts.
    assembly, little noises from the cockpit and dashboard, tires' noise? ergonomics, boot access, comfort on the rear seats?
    I would buy this car without caring to these aspect, but it's probably what the ind of customers of such cars look at.
    I agree that the car looks much better in the flesh, and the interiors are even better.
    Sound insulation was excellent. In sixth you couldn't hear the engine at all. And 100km/h felt like 20km/h. The boot is massive and the access is good, altough the opening could be wider. The rear seats were good too, with plenty of legroom and headroom, altough in honesty I'm not what you'd call tall, so I'm not a good benchmark. There were no noises or rattkes but then again there was new and had barely done 11.000km, so who knows how it'll stand the test of time.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Sound insulation was excellent. In sixth you couldn't hear the engine at all. And 100km/h felt like 20km/h. The boot is massive and the access is good, altough the opening could be wider. The rear seats were good too, with plenty of legroom and headroom, altough in honesty I'm not what you'd call tall, so I'm not a good benchmark. There were no noises or rattkes but then again there was new and had barely done 11.000km, so who knows how it'll stand the test of time.
    thanks. is it owned by a relative/friend of you or a test car?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    thanks. is it owned by a relative/friend of you or a test car?
    My uncle has said goodbye to the stupid Audi and finally bought a worthy car...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    My uncle has said goodbye to the stupid Audi and finally bought a worthy car...
    props to him

if it was a test car, than 11.000 km would have been enough to hear weird noises and a chunky assembly.

My mum has a 2.7d XF (old engine) in England and I can tell you that it's an excellent car. Sound insulation is top notch, the ride is smooth and it goes for a small diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    My mum has a 2.7d XF (old engine) in England and I can tell you that it's an excellent car. Sound insulation is top notch, the ride is smooth and it goes for a small diesel.
    I wouldn't say that is a small engine

Nice review Ferrer - would like to hear more in the future.

Have you given one on your 118d?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Nice review Ferrer - would like to hear more in the future.

Have you given one on your 118d?
    I don't think I have. I guess I'll just have to.

By the way, through the twisties I think the best way to define is that it feels like a big, powerful Mini.
    Visca Catalunya!

Your writing in English (Must be really good in Catalan) is nearly on par with the car-writers I read (I think) Ferrer.

Have you ever thought of pursuing a career as an automotive journalist? Would this not be the ideal job for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Your writing in English (Must be really good in Catalan) is nearly on par with the car-writers I read (I think) Ferrer.

Have you ever thought of pursuing a career as an automotive journalist? Would this not be the ideal job for you?
    Thanks for the compliment. And yes car journalist would be about the most ideal job ever...
    Visca Catalunya!

Sweet review Ferrer.
    What mileage figure has your uncle gotten in normal driving?
    When I was driving a friend's mom's IS250 (with paddle shift) the system took at least 3-4 seconds, it seems, to either change up or down. Any annoyances like this with the Jag?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Sweet review Ferrer.
    What mileage figure has your uncle gotten in normal driving?
    When I was driving a friend's mom's IS250 (with paddle shift) the system took at least 3-4 seconds, it seems, to either change up or down. Any annoyances like this with the Jag?
    that car had some problems, even the first Smart was faster changing gear.

Thread Information