Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
Sweet review Ferrer.
What mileage figure has your uncle gotten in normal driving?
When I was driving a friend's mom's IS250 (with paddle shift) the system took at least 3-4 seconds, it seems, to either change up or down. Any annoyances like this with the Jag?
There hasn't been much normal driving lately. But will tell you once it settles down. It won't be low I guess...

As for the paddle shift there's no noticeable delay and the changes are reasonably smooth. It's not as fast as an SMG/F1 style gearbox but it's not as jerky either.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Revisited the Audi today over the same roads, see if it could redeem itself.

Considering it's now 4 years old the design has matured nicely, but the big grille still bothers me. It ruins what should be an discreet and understated saloon. The interior is a bit boring, but the quality is top notch, there's no part where you can put your finger on and it doesn't feel like a quality product. And after 4 years and almost 150.000km everything still works and nothing rattles or squeaks. The seats are not as good as the Jag's though, not supportive enough and tad too hard for my liking but the driving position is fine. There's plenty of space in the front, the back or the boot and the latter is easily accessible.

Once you get on the move things start to go a little wrong. The suspension is hard and the low profile tyres and hard seats don't help it. It crashes over bumps and potholes. There's a bit of tyre roar, but while it doesn't excel in that aspect it's not bad either. As for handling, well there isn't any. The steering is devoid of feel, altough not as bad as I remembered, and the nose heaviness provokes understeer at the limit. However since it has four wheel drive and huge tyres the grip in the dry is monumental so you've got to be going really fast to notice it. It's a car in which you can go phenomenally fast in the twisties but somewhat you don't feel part of the process, it just grips and goes, no real drama, no real fuss.

The gearbox and engine, like the rest of the car, are very good. If anything the 255bhp in the Audi feel, relative to the figure, faster than the 300bhp in the Jag. And on top of all that it's much more frugal, under 9L/100km being possible in relaxed driving. The donwside is that the noise is just that, a noise which in my opinion detracts highly from the driving exprience. The gearbox feels a bit more jerky in the Audi at times, but the kickdown is much better, faster and eager. However the manual control is limited to the lever and it's configured upside down, push to upshift and pull to downshift, which is very unnatural.

Overall I'd say that objectively the Audi is probably the better car. But it feels very german, very good but somewhat inert. The Jag may not be as good as the Audi, but for driving I'd rather be in the plucky brit.

Last edited by Ferrer; 02-08-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
It was thirsty though, the trip computer showing a 42l/100km average fuel consumption figure

Quote:
Revisited the Audi today over the same roads, see if it could redeem itself.

Considering it's now 4 years old the design has matured nicely, but the big grille still bothers me. It ruins what should be an discreet and understated saloon. The interior is a bit boring, but the quality is top notch, there's no part where you can put your finger on and it doesn't feel like a quality product. And after 4 years and almost 150.000km everything still works and nothing rattles or squeaks. The seats are not as good as the Jag's though, not supportive enough and tad too hard for my liking but the driving position is fine. There's plenty of space in the front, the back or the boot and the latter is easily accessible.

Once you get on the move things start to go a little wrong. The suspension is hard and the low profile tyres and hard seats don't help it. It crashes over bumps and potholes. There's a bit of tyre roar, but while it doesn't excel in that aspect it's not bad either. As for handling, well there isn't any. The steering is devoid of feel, altough not as bad as I remembered, and the nose heaviness provokes understeer at the limit. However since it has four wheel drive and huge tyres the grip in the dry is monumental so you've got to be going really fast to notice it. It's a car in which you can go phenomenally fast in the twisties but somewhat you don't feel part of the process, it just grips and goes, no real drama, no real fuss.

The gearbox and engine, like the rest of the car, are very good. If anything the 255bhp in the Audi feel, relative to the figure, faster than the 300bhp in the Jag. And on top of all that it's much more frugal, under 9L/100km being possible in relaxed driving. The donwside is that the noise is just that, a noise which in my opinion detracts highly from the driving exprience. The gearbox feels a bit more jerky in the Audi at times, but the kickdown is much better, faster and eager. However the manual control is limited to the lever and it's configured upside down, push to upshift and pull to downshift, which is very unnatural.

Overall I'd say that objectively the Audi is probably the better car. But it feels very german, very good but somewhat inert. The Jag may not be as good as the Audi, but for driving I'd rather be in the plucky brit.
nice review - seems like audi's are broadly the same thorughout the range then, based on my experience with an A4
Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
Yep, that's a good way of putting it...

In the afternoon it descended to 27l/100km, altough we were still going for it. In normal driving conditions I'm predicting 11l/100km or thereabouts.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Fanatic

Modena
I had a similar experience about the hard set-up of tires+suspensions+seat in a prev gen Passat. and the same dead steering wheel.

the audi it's a 2.7 turbo V6 right?

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
I had a similar experience about the hard set-up of tires+suspensions+seat in a prev gen Passat. and the same dead steering wheel.

the audi it's a 2.7 turbo V6 right?
Nope it's the newer 3.2 FSI. It's the current gen car, just the pre-facelift one.

And by the way, you probably felt the same in the previous gen Passat because underneath it was effectively an A4.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Nope it's the newer 3.2 FSI. It's the current gen car, just the pre-facelift one.

And by the way, you probably felt the same in the previous gen Passat because underneath it was effectively an A4.
that was the subtle point
even the prev gen Golf has a similar behavior btw, but I was just a passenger (and didn't like it)

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

Surrey, England
Send a message via MSN to Waugh-terfall
The crashyness in the Audi must be the big wheeled set-up, ours on its 17inch alloys is far more comfortable and less crashy and jittery than my car on its weedy 13s
The Jag is a gorgeous car, I think the diesel might make the A6 replacement list. Is this the SV8?

Motion & Emotion
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
The crashyness in the Audi must be the big wheeled set-up, ours on its 17inch alloys is far more comfortable and less crashy and jittery than my car on its weedy 13s
The Jag is a gorgeous car, I think the diesel might make the A6 replacement list. Is this the SV8?
Interesting that the 19inch wheeled Jag rides better than 18inch wheeled Audi...

And no it's the normally aspirated V8.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

in a house
how did the car compare to the rover 75 v8?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
how did the car compare to the rover 75 v8?
Don't know haven't driven it. Altough I'm guessing not well.

The MG version would probably be a better match.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Porto - Portugal
Nice comparo Ferrer

42L/100kms scared me! :s
Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
What mileage figure has your uncle gotten in normal driving?
Ok after having it for a week, do you want to know what the number was?

15l/100km (16mpg).

Ouch. (Altough in all honesty not that surprising)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Fanatic

└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
I expected about 20mpg (12l/100km) out of it because of its lightish weight for its class. But, I guess being a large luxury sedan with a big ole V8 at the front, it was never going to be great.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
Quote:
Ok after having it for a week, do you want to know what the number was?

15l/100km (16mpg).

Ouch. (Altough in all honesty not that surprising)
it'll get a little better as the engine is run in though, yeah?
Quote:
I expected about 20mpg (12l/100km) out of it because of its lightish weight for its class. But, I guess being a large luxury sedan with a big ole V8 at the front, it was never going to be great.
i suspect it tempts you to drive it in a non-economic way all too often

Tags
jaguar