Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
derekthetree's Avatar
derekthetree derekthetree is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,734
UK
Jaguar Factory Visit

I went to the Jaguar assembly plant in Birmingham today as part of a work thing.

Saw the XK line, from body in white piecing together right through to moving cars.
Some really complicated robots and lots and lots of parts in boxes!

Just wondering if anyone else has been to a car factory?
__________________
How can men use sex to get what they want?
Sex is what they want. - Frasier
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Lamborghini, Pagani, Audi plant in Györ, Spyker.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
culver culver is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,508
I went to a GM one in Michigan years back when I was interviewing. Never took the job. I'd like to visit the Corvette factory. I have spent a good bit of time in plants that make large jet aircraft engines but that's not really the same thing. I've also spent a reasonable amount of time in small shops that build race cars but that's more of a batch job thing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
Pagani, Lamborghini and Maserati.
Nothing as "technological", or should I say automated, as Jaguar or GM I guess...
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
culver culver is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
Pagani, Lamborghini and Maserati.
Nothing as "technological", or should I say automated, as Jaguar or GM I guess...
I would definitely stress that automated part. The GE aircraft engine plant, liker perhaps the shops that produce things like F1 cars, are not automated but they are very high tech. You have to be to work with unobtainum (that unobtainium for you British types ).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Dino Scuderia's Avatar
Dino Scuderia Dino Scuderia is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,584
Southeast US
GM in the late 60's...saw some Chevy Impala's being made.

BMW plant in South Carolina....Z3's and X5's were being made.

Soon I'll visit the new VW plant in Tennessee.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
derekthetree's Avatar
derekthetree derekthetree is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,734
UK
Some quite varied visits then!

I got the impression that Jag was a halfway house between genuine mass production (Toyota, Nissan etc) and a more handbuilt affair. About halfway down the line all the robots disappeared and the blokes appeared.
They even handfinished them with a rubber hammer. It was quite brutal.
__________________
How can men use sex to get what they want?
Sex is what they want. - Frasier
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
Some quite varied visits then!

I got the impression that Jag was a halfway house between genuine mass production (Toyota, Nissan etc) and a more handbuilt affair. About halfway down the line all the robots disappeared and the blokes appeared.
They even handfinished them with a rubber hammer. It was quite brutal.
Similar to Maserati then, except there weren't robots there, just some machines to help workers putting heavier things on.
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Just curious, for the plant visits, do you need to be an actual customer or can you schedule one far ahead of time?

And although photography would be cool, I'm sure they highly discourage it, right? Although that probably depends.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
leroy leroy is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 45
Bushey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
I went to the Jaguar assembly plant in Birmingham today as part of a work thing.

Saw the XK line, from body in white piecing together right through to moving cars.
Some really complicated robots and lots and lots of parts in boxes!

Just wondering if anyone else has been to a car factory?
I went to Audi's Ingoldstadt factory in 1992. Very mechanised, lots of robots and very few people on the production line. Humans' roles mostly involved interior trimming and inspection. Particularly impressive were the huge presses for stamping the body panels. I found the whole thing totally fascinating, and could have styed there for days watching each process.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
Just curious, for the plant visits, do you need to be an actual customer or can you schedule one far ahead of time?

And although photography would be cool, I'm sure they highly discourage it, right? Although that probably depends.
Photography is rarely allowed, unless with specific permission in "non-controversial" spots.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Suka's Avatar
Suka Suka is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,214
Sible Hedingham, Essex, United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to Suka
I went to the GTM factory once...not quite on the scale of some of these others.
__________________
Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Sauc3's Avatar
Sauc3 Sauc3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,391
Victoria, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Sauc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Photography is rarely allowed, unless with specific permission in "non-controversial" spots.
Wiesmann allowed me full access with photography, and everything in their factory is hand built and assembled, from the chassis to the exhaust to the interiors.

Also visited BMW and Porsche, MUCH more mass production.

Elfin, which is a tiny scale operation and done by hand again.
2008 Elfin T5 Clubman - Images, Specifications and Information
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
Wiesmann allowed me full access with photography, and everything in their factory is hand built and assembled, from the chassis to the exhaust to the interiors.

Also visited BMW and Porsche, MUCH more mass production.

Elfin, which is a tiny scale operation and done by hand again.
2008 Elfin T5 Clubman - Images, Specifications and Information
we could shoot at Pagani, but not everything, in particular the section where they process the carbon fiber tubs.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 PM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Photography is rarely allowed, unless with specific permission in "non-controversial" spots.
I would imagine so. Lots of the process is a trade secret, I'm sure they wouldn't like them leaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
we could shoot at Pagani, but not everything, in particular the section where they process the carbon fiber tubs.
I wonder if LeonoftheDead can comment about that. I bet you they treat him like a regular.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jaguar


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
all cars all years 0-60 and 1/4mile time matheus General Automotive 51 04-26-2015 06:29 PM
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1020 05-19-2014 03:16 PM
Jaguar XJ Series, the History of (1968-2003) Revo Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 24 11-27-2009 04:33 AM
Hide-Out Index Sauc3 Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 59 06-20-2008 02:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com