Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Flawless GT-R Has a Fault?

The Flawless GT-R Has a Fault?

April 28th, 2008

Word is getting around the traps that the transmission in the famously destructive R35 GT-R may be wearing out faster than expected. MCR, one of the lucky Japanese tuning houses to have a GT-R, have reported that initial inspections are showing unexpected signs of wear in the transmission; raising fears that the GT-R is not as flawless as we’d all hoped.

Perhaps if it were a more expensive car, the gearbox would be less likely to shoot out random cogs and cut your leg off at the knee. Not that it’s going to do that.

MCR’s inspection has lead them to conclude that the transmission’s lifespan—at least if used as heavily as they do—may be no longer than 12 months if the engine’s power is tweaked. Of course, with the V-Spec model on the way, we may soon see a stronger gearbox available.
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    MCR’s inspection has lead them to conclude that the transmission’s lifespan—at least if used as heavily as they do—may be no longer than 12 months if the engine’s power is tweaked.
    so basically it wears out faster when power is upped and you often run it hard?

Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

That's sad to hear... I've always loved the these.

[B][U] raising fears that the GT-R is not as flawless as we’d all hoped.
    this post coming from you it looks like this is exactly what you hoped for....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You've had a little too much of the anti-skyline kool aid monaro. I don't like the car either but this is pushing it.

Well, it seems to me that they reported the obvious....

What power levels are they referring to? Are they referring to 100% track use? 50 - 50 road race?

They should be more specific in their claims.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

As Clutch Says.

So a car made to run at higher power than standard, Driven hard by a tuning company, with NO upgrade made to stock systems, runs out quickly?

Let's see how well a Holden clutch does when you up the power and drive it's nuts off for a year.......

As for the GT-R being flawless.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

brb, gonna twin turbo a coupe 4 for the lulz. it won't break, amirite
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

April 28th, 2008

MCR’s inspection has lead them to conclude that the transmission’s lifespan—at least if used as heavily as they do—may be no longer than 12 months if the engine’s power is tweaked. Of course, with the V-Spec model on the way, we may soon see a stronger gearbox available.
    Nissan engineered this car with in an inch of its life and did everything in their power to make it a world-beater. It can't take anymore power? Surprise, surprise.

I always thought the car's flaw was it's complete lack of elegance. No?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I don't remember anyone calling this car flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I don't remember anyone calling this car flawless.
    Not really but some people object to the mass awe this car attracts. Most magazines had articles how it could beet a 997 turbo, Z06 da de da which didnt help.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Not really but some people object to the mass awe this car attracts. Most magazines had articles how it could beet a 997 turbo, Z06 da de da which didnt help.
    religious fanatics never think very straight....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It just lapped the Nordschleiffed in 7:29 with stock tires.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Fail. That is, you, MonaroCounty fails.

No shit, sherlock, all drivetrains have a limit.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Yeah, there is no such thing as a flawless car.

BTW i think gtr's are pretty ugly, but they look hot in that 3/4 rear view.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Thread Information