Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliability + French? Nah...

Reliability + French? Nah...

I don't know if any of you watched Top Gear last night, but it seems all of the cars in 10 least reliable were French.

What I don't get is how the French cars always seem to be bad, either in terms of build quality, reliability or depreciation...

Anyone with experiences of bad French cars?

We had a new Citroen XM Estate 2.0L from 1993-1995, the interior door handles continously fell out/off and after rain, the back and boot were like a swimming pool but the 1990 Peugeot 205 1.1 Style 3dr we ran from 1991 - 2003 ran like a dream, apart from batteries dying and a sticky throttle.

My friend Dan had a 2000 Megane Sport for 4yrs, bits fell off it all the time but then they got a 2002 Laguna Estate 1.9dci which over the past 6mnths has been costing them over £500 each month to repair because it keeps going wrong. It failed it's MOT last year and the other day the turbo ripped itself apart from the inside and embedded itself in the intercooler, thus killing the car.

Leave your experiences of French cars here, thank you.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

We had a Renault 11 GTL from 1986 to 1999. Did over 200,000km, most reliable car we ever had.

My aunt has had a Renault Scenic 1.6 Mk I from 1998. Currently at 53,000km, no problems either.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The Peugeot's been mighty fine, the engine management burp aside. Enjoyable car to drive and own, to be honest!

To me, all European makes are more or less the same. Over here in Asia, we get loads of cheap Jap cars, not those highly engineered ones like Avensis, Altezza or whatever, but cheap, simple Jap cars WHICH ARE AMAZINGLY RELIABLE. We had a 1991 Corolla, and it ran till 2005 with nothing failed except chipped air con vents (hence cant control air flow)

Well, to make it fair for the French, we had a 1997 Renault Scenic. It's awesomely comfortable, very good FC, and despite the impossibly weak air con, nothing seems to fail; well, those "i-suppose-they're-comfortable" materials like soft touch plastics and such does erode themselves like nobody's business, all in all, it's still running healthily.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Well, we have had Renaults for years and never any problem with them...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    The Peugeot's been mighty fine, the engine management burp aside. Enjoyable car to drive and own, to be honest!
    I'll go with that but raise you a broken radiator after 6 months
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

This is what I don't get, other than the problems with my friends and our old Citroen, enveryone seem to be fine, so why are they the bottom of reliability surveys?

The only problems my grandparents in England have had with their Peugeot 106 has been the steering locks getting stuck and their old 205 just had a dodgey alternator. Yet to encounter any problems with my grandparents in France's Peugeot Partner Combi...

Wern't there problems with Peugeots bursting into flames last year somewhere?

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    This is what I don't get, other than the problems with my friends and our old Citroen, enveryone seem to be fine, so why are they the bottom of reliability surveys?
    Actually the Top Gear survey is a satisfaction survey, which apart from reliability takes into account other aspects.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Peugeot 206 HDi 2.0 for 5 years and 100.000kms. Zero problems.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

20 years of Citroen driving by my dad and never ever a real problem. Once a small bug in the ECU of our Xsara, regarding the fuel meter. Fixed with a software patch 3 months later.

I have seen a 1 year,2 month old Alfa 156 that went straight to the scrap yard. The chassis was rotten through completely.

The reliabilty problems of the French cars are mostly caused by the MASSIVE electronics failures on the Renaults. The PSA's are by my knowledge not especially prone to failure compared to the other brands.

So Tom, is this going how you expected it to?

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    So Tom, is this going how you expected it to?
    I was expecting to find out about other people experiences of French cars thank you! Just so you know, I love French cars! Peugeot 206, 207, 1007, 107 Sport XS, 307, 407SW, 407Coupe... Citroen C4Coupe, C6, C4 Picasso in green... and the whole Renault range, INCLUDING THE VANS!!

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I have seen a 1 year,2 month old Alfa 156 that went straight to the scrap yard. The chassis was rotten through completely.
    I've seen a 33 years old Alfa Romeo Alfasud. In pristine condition.

Your point is?

Don't believe that even if someone bets his neck.
    Even our old 164 has a galvanized body that didn't rust. The car was stolen and stood more than one year on a wet place where the sun didn't shine ever. When we got it back the car was not only has good as new as it started 1st time.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I've seen a 33 years old Alfa Romeo Alfasud. In pristine condition.

Your point is?
    His point is: weather sucks!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

20 years of Citroen driving by my dad and never ever a real problem. Once a small bug in the ECU of our Xsara, regarding the fuel meter. Fixed with a software patch 3 months later.

The reliabilty problems of the French cars are mostly caused by the MASSIVE electronics failures on the Renaults. The PSA's are by my knowledge not especially prone to failure compared to the other brands.
    Why is it that everything you have is the better?
    Why is it that everything you say is the better?
    Do you think you are better than us?

I am on my third Renault, and we have had 7 Renaults in the past 15 years in my family. From Clio to Espace. And I can't say that we have had any problems with Renaults, other than wear and tear. Except for an ECU problem on the last Espace I had, which also was fixed with a re-map.

I think there is also one thing in this world that many consumers tend to forget. You need to TAKE CARE of things you have and use, for it to last as long as possible.

How much experience have YOU with Renaults drakkie?
    Or can you direct me to written articles, or other facts that can claim MASSIVE electronics failures on Renaults?

Thread Information