Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Awards 2009: Car of the Decade [Nominations]

I think that you should chose specifically what model of car it was.

coolie nominated the G, but what generation of G specifically?

I think the Prius should count, as long as it's the second or third generation being nominated.

I think we should use model/generation/years to further refine people's choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think the Prius should count, as long as it's the second or third generation being nominated.
    Second gen is definitely bang on as it was introduced and sold in that decade. It was also the car that popularised hybrids and technology.

Agreed with Revo there many wortyh cars. Disagree though that people vote with their wallets though, because some cars that are worthy of a COTD nomination are unattainable for most wallets or sometimes overlooked or not available. And those are still game changers.

My list should include cars like Honda FCX Clarity, Toyota Prius, Bugatti Veyron, Nissan GT-R, Toyota iQ, Tata Nano, Volkswagen Phaeton, the New Mini Mk I or the BMW 7-Series E65.

(And those are not my nominees, yet. I'll wait some more)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the phaeton? really? that was a complete non-car. none sold, it was a badge engineered A8, and it had completely derivative styling. how would that fit on the list at all?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the phaeton? really? that was a complete non-car. none sold, it was a badge engineered A8, and it had completely derivative styling. how would that fit on the list at all?
    It wasn't at all. Its platform was completely bespoke for it, later shared with the junior Bentleys.

In many ways it's a bit like the Veyron, only a lot more underrated. It was the car the Ferdinand Piech wanted to gift the world for his retirement. And as a result it was, and is, and engineering masterpiece. He listed 10 or so requirements, and half of the engineering team resigned, saying the were just impossible.

I know it's been a complete flop, but that's just because people are such badge snobs. As a car, it's excellent.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Pagani Zonda - Introduced at the Geneva Auto Show in 1999, not sure when the first one was delivered.. Most of its models where introduced in the 2000s though (C12S, F, Cinque Roadster, etc..) It deserves to be on the COTD list imo.

Bugatti Veyron for being the over engineered monster that broke the one tonne.

Lamborghini Murcielago in any guise because it is, to me at least, the definitive super car of the decade.

And maybe some other one I'll think of later

Something that defines a decade of excess, failure, environmental awareness and the shortcomings of an American system in deep crisis.

The Hummer H2.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Cadillac CTS (no explanation needed)
    BMW 3 Series (As previously stated, everyone w/ some money to spend has one)
    Toyota Camry (reliability, and sheer popularity)

(In no order)
    1. Nissan (R35) GT-R = For being even better than expected (even after such a long wait), and for setting a new bench mark for rivals like the 911 Turbo.

2. Toyota Prius = For being the first (truly) mass-market hybrid. It may not be the smartest, best looking, or even greenest car available in the segment....but every other car apes it. (New Insight anyone?)

3. Porsche Cayenne (all generations) = For being desirable even though its ugly. Car fans want a Turbo for the speed, soccer moms want a 'Porsche SUV', so win-win. And it sold like half-price cigarettes too. (Im sure many of you will disagree, but after thinking for a while I cant think of a car that has changed so many opinions...or sold like it.)

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post

Lamborghini Murcielago in any guise because it is, to me at least, the definitive super car of the decade.
    That was tied for me with the Cayenne. I agree 100%

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Mini Cooper S

Porsche Cayenne Turbo (post facelift)

Runners Up: Toyota Prius, BMW 335d, Audi R8
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Pagani Zonda - Introduced at the Geneva Auto Show in 1999, not sure when the first one was delivered.. Most of its models where introduced in the 2000s though (C12S, F, Cinque Roadster, etc..) It deserves to be on the COTD list imo.
    Thank you for nominating that; it was going straight to the top of my list, so I've still got 3 left.

Presumably the 8C Spider comes under "Alfa Romeo 8C", so i'll omit that.

Mk5 Golf GTi - An amazing car. It's good looking, brilliant to drive, reliable (well, my brother's has been), practical, quick and most of all, it took VW back to the top of the hot hatch pile, with the Focus ST.

Mercedes CLS - Beautiful car, inside and out. Instantly recognisable without being in-your-face. I haven't had the pleasure of driving one, but have heard it's bloody good. Has inspired many firms to try out something similar themselves (Passat CC and the forthcoming Audi A7)

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 - Now, the previous Gallardo was certainly special, but Lamborghini kicked it up a notch with the LP560-4, with much more aggressive bodywork and increased power output. It's been quite the success for Lambo as well, which always helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    The first Zonda (C12) to be delivered to a customer was chassis #3, a yellow car, and should have been delivered in the year 2000, or late 1999 at best.
    It was spotted at the factory while being finished together with chassis #8, the first Zonda S 7.0 car, which was unveiled that same year.
    The very first Zonda, chassis #1, was crash tested in 1998 at the Mira testing Facilities, for the record.

KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

New mini. For making small hot in the US again.
    Chrysler 300/300C. Outdated now but was the most award winning car ever in north america (helped it edge out the CTS and 3 series for me)
    430 Scuderia. Cause do want.

Would have added the Elise for being fast fun and effecient, but it hasn't had major updates in this decade, has it?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Something that defines a decade of excess, failure, environmental awareness and the shortcomings of an American system in deep crisis.

The Hummer H2.
    I lolwut... but you are absolutely dead on. What could be more appropriate as COTD for the USA?

For the ROW it'll take some further thought...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information