Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Name that car 2

Welcome,
    That is the Baldwin Mercury Special, with a flat head V8.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
    Norman Dewis specifically remembers "Wilkie" Wilkinson coming to the Jaguar factroy experimental depatment and picking-up XKD604, loading it onto a trailer towed by his car, and taking it back as a whole car to Ecurie Ecosse. Wilkie said at the time he was not certain whether or not the EE would restore the car for competition use or not. Norman has also commented on Andrew Whyte's note of the disposition to XKD604. Norman specifically discounts that as not true. The car was kept intact and given to EE. Norman said "Andrew was a young apprentice at the time and would not be a good judge of what was going on at the factory at that time, especialy in his (Norman's) experimental department." I would put complete trust in Norman Dewis' recollections as "he was there" (and in charge!) and has specific recollection of the circumstances surrounding XKD604 and it's dispositon.
    Apropos of nothing I seem to recall the owner of this car is a Mr or Dr G(reg) Johnson. It might be that this poster is indeed the owner, whose opinion as posted above might not be altogether surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    Apropos of nothing I seem to recall the owner of this car is a Mr or Dr G(reg) Johnson. It might be that this poster is indeed the owner, whose opinion as posted above might not be altogether surprising.
    Welcome to UCP. (as a poster)
    Do you have reason to believe that the original story regarding the write-off and the subsequent dismantling in the factory is still valid?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I have to say I have no Idea. It could be either a haguar D Type\EType or an early 60's Aston.

A Lotus perhaps, but i'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenkel View Post
    I have to say I have no Idea. It could be either a haguar D Type\EType or an early 60's Aston.

A Lotus perhaps, but i'm not sure.
    the answer is already in the thread, it is a Tojeiro Jaguar. There has been one D-Type fitted with a Dion rear suspension (chassis XKD604) but that has officially been scrapped, but also officially been resurrected. That's what the latter part of the thread is about.

The "poster" in the above reference to the history of XKD604 is the owner (me). However I have been very careful to present only that information for which I have specific documentation to substantiate the presentation. The history and story of XKD604 going intact to Ecurie Ecosse after the Silverstone accident is Norman Dewis' ascertion and information. The story of the car was not mine to originate or substantiate. There was really only one person in charge of xkd604 in 1956 and that was Mr. Dewis. I would have to take his testimony as true and relaiable.

"intact" is a term open to wide interpretation in historical circles.
    it can mean "as a whole, complete" and may well be the case.
    BUT it can also mean "all the bits" and with then mixing with gear at Merchiston Mews then it can be confusing.
    Will ask friend who's uncle was mechanic at the Mews. Not sure if he's still around.

EDIT: Greg ? Have you contacted Graham Gauld scottish journalist for any information ? He wrote the definitive EE history and did have access to all paperwork. Nice guy too
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information