Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I just bought a Triumph Spitfire 1500 for $750.00...

Not really related as this trick usually works on datsuns/nissans, but with the horn and turn signals, find a wiring diagram, trace your grounds and make sure the contacts are in good conditioning, Im sure you've already tried the fuses, But double check, If the steering wheel isn't stock check the boss kit that all the contacts (should be a brass section) is in contact with the wheel for the horn.

EDIT: You seem really eager to pull out the grinder/drill, find a can of rost off (wurst is the company that makes it, or if your feeling patriotic some WD40) and soak the bolts/hinges etc for 20 minutes and try again.. No point doing more damage for the sake of a 20 minute wait.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 01-31-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

The bolts and rivets are old and rusty anyways - was going to replace them regardless.
    Current Projects
    1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

If anyone is able to find a dash top (the vinyl padding above the wooden dash, parallel to the floor) at a reasonable price, I'd very much appreciate it if you could link it. I have been trying to find one for awhile... I eventually found one for about $70.00 but I was too late. Like I said, I would really appreciate it.
    Current Projects

Sour, that is the service interval indicator. BTW do you have a manual for the car? Haynes has one you can order, it covers years 62 to 81. Highly recommended. As for electrical systems, a common cause in these cars is bad grounding, the connections get corroded, get loose, etc... You are about to enter the domain of Lucas, Prince of Darkness. Again, for spitfire questions, go to Triumph Spitfire and GT6 Magazine and Information Warehouse, you can post questions there, lot of very knowledgeable people there.
    My bad on the tall engine misunderstanding.

Regards,

Rjhanse0

Quote Originally Posted by sours View Post
    There is also a plastic assembly under the hood, hooked to the tachometer. I am guessing it is related to the emissions. Any ideas on removing it, or if I am even able to? The last linked picture is a picture of what I am talking about.
    i have no idea what that is, i thought i could help but i don't seem to have anything like it in my engine bay? i might take that pic to my mechanic, i am curious now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Dual Carbs

Sour,
    You mentioned possible switching to dual carb setup.
    Check this site out. Paul Tegler's Triumph Spitfire 1500 Mega Site
    Got a section there on doing the dual carb setup.

Enjoy,

Rjhanse0

My spitfire has the Zenith Stromberg with the hot water automatic choke. How would I go about going over to Dual SU's and K&N's with it?
    Current Projects

You really should pull that engine, strip it down and rebuild it.
    Especially after all that sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    You really should pull that engine, strip it down and rebuild it.
    Especially after all that sitting.
    Sours, if you chose to go that route, consider finding an earlier engine without the emissions stuff to rebuild and modify.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Sours, if you chose to go that route, consider finding an earlier engine without the emissions stuff to rebuild and modify.
    I am going to get this engine going, finish ripping out the whole interior except for a drivers seat, sandblasting it and then doing body work + paint.

I am then going to put it in my garage at my house rather than at a work shop, and start buying interior pieces and piecing it together. I will start fine tuning the engine as well once I get it garaged locally. For now, I am just trying to get the damn thing up on its feet.

Also, Weber or Dual SU's?
    Current Projects

Quote Originally Posted by sours View Post
    I am going to get this engine going, finish ripping out the whole interior except for a drivers seat, sandblasting it and then doing body work + paint.

I am then going to put it in my garage at my house rather than at a work shop, and start buying interior pieces and piecing it together. I will start fine tuning the engine as well once I get it garaged locally. For now, I am just trying to get the damn thing up on its feet.

Also, Weber or Dual SU's?
    haha the interior will be easy

dual SU's imo, when dealing with mini's it's been found that while they don't have the sound of the weber, they have have finer adjustments and generaly give up nothing in all round performance to the weber
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My Stromberg has a hot water choke on it... How would I go about putting in a Weber in it? The Dual SU's are pretty expensive from what I have seen.
    Current Projects

Dual Carbs,

Sours,
    Check this site out: Quantumechanics.Com Also did you check Paul Tegler's site out? Paul Tegler's Triumph Spitfire 1500 Mega Site
    I have posted a whole lot of Triumph sites where you can go to find information. Read back through the postings. The subject matter experts are on those sites. Take advantage of them.
    Please let me know that you have looked thru them.

Regards,

Rjhanse0

Yes, I have looked through them. Not too much on later Californian emissions cars.
    Current Projects

I highly recommend Quantamechanics, used their products before and the guy is really knowledgeable.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information