Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes/Porsche museum in Stuttgart

Mercedes/Porsche museum in Stuttgart

We'll be heading for Germany tomorrow to have some vaction. We are going to Badem-Wuerttemberg. And for the first time in the 15 years we go there, we are planning to visit Stuttgart. And of course we all know what makes Stuttgart so famous

So of course I'm trying to convince my parents to go to either the Mercedes-Benz museum or the Porsche museum. So I like to ask people around here what is the best to visit?
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    We'll be heading for Germany tomorrow to have some vaction. We are going to Badem-Wuerttemberg. And for the first time in the 15 years we go there, we are planning to visit Stuttgart. And of course we all know what makes Stuttgart so famous

So of course I'm trying to convince my parents to go to either the Mercedes-Benz museum or the Porsche museum. So I like to ask people around here what is the best to visit?
    the new Mercedes museum will open for the general public in the second half of may only.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I have been to the Mercedes Museum two times, I like it, they have all old cars and I think they have two of their cars that wore in the record book for highest top speed many years ago. I have not been to the porsche museum, but i think it can be fun. What I also can recomend is the big Mercedes Building. They have a replica of the SLR that was made in 1945 as a street car, they also have all new cars in all, with all difrent engines and some old prototypes

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    New Merc-Museum will open in may and new Porsche museum have to be build (will be ready next year or so).

Try to get a factory-tour at Benz and/or Porsche
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Try to get a factory-tour at Benz and/or Porsche
    You have any more info on that?
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

I've seen them both. The porsche museum is just a short hall of cars and racing legends, of course those are worth seeing but it's just not much. The mercedes museum on the other hand will thoroughly impress you. I forgot how many floors it is, but its a beautiful building which will lead you in a spiral from the main floor to the very top, and it's filled with every mercedes of even the slightest historical significance. Both these manufacturers are in the process of building new museums, but seeing as you're probably going before those will be complete I highly recommend you hit the mercedes museum. Prepare to be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    I've seen them both. The porsche museum is just a short hall of cars and racing legends, of course those are worth seeing but it's just not much. The mercedes museum on the other hand will thoroughly impress you. I forgot how many floors it is, but its a beautiful building which will lead you in a spiral from the main floor to the very top, and it's filled with every mercedes of even the slightest historical significance. Both these manufacturers are in the process of building new museums, but seeing as you're probably going before those will be complete I highly recommend you hit the mercedes museum. Prepare to be amazed.
    are you talking about the new Mercedes museum? In that case it is not yet open, but the cars have all been positioned, which would also mean that the old museum is empty....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    are you talking about the new Mercedes museum? In that case it is not yet open, but the cars have all been positioned, which would also mean that the old museum is empty....
    I was talking about the old one, I went in early 2004. So they've emtpied the place out already? That's too bad for our friend.

I couldn't agree more with your quote by Douglas Adams, henk4.

I was talking about the old one, I went in early 2004. So they've emtpied the place out already? That's too bad for our friend.
    we spoke to somebody last week who already had seen the new one, (filled with cars )

we spoke to somebody last week who already had seen the new one, (filled with cars )
    I might go to Germany this summer for my cousin's wedding, if I do I'm definetly having a look.

I might go to Germany this summer for my cousin's wedding, if I do I'm definetly having a look.
    you might also want to stop at the Sinsheim Motor und Technik museum, (Near Heidelberg)

So no Mercedes museum... I also called a friend who has been in the Porsche museum and he told me that that isn't a big deal. We'll probably only check out the city then

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    So no Mercedes museum... I also called a friend who has been in the Porsche museum and he told me that that isn't a big deal. We'll probably only check out the city then
    If you have enough time try to go to Sinsheim. It is "near" Stuttgart and the museum over there is very cool. It is a technician museum with all kind of vehicles for land, air and I think also sea (I don't know exactly if they have boats...). They have an original Concorde and the russian plane which also was faster then sound. And their collection of cars is also very nice.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

you might also want to stop at the Sinsheim Motor und Technik museum, (Near Heidelberg)
    Been there already! I was actually going to recommend it over the merc or porsche museum, but I decided against it since he said he was going to stuttgart. I'm from Germany myself, so I know most of the good spots

Thread Information