Thread: Ford Fiesta Pikes Peak 2009

Ford Fiesta Pikes Peak 2009

Ford Fiesta Pikes Peak

The Olsbergs/MSE Team have been very busy with the preparations for the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb 2009.

The cars are for the moment airborne, but on a plane towards USA, this after some intense days of testing. The test was performed on different surfaces from a race-track to gravel roads just to prepare for the different conditions they will face on the mountain.

Pikes Peak International Hillclimb is one of the oldest and most legendary motorsports events in the world. The race is run on a 12.42 mile course with 156 turns that begins at 9,390 feet and finishes at the 14,110 foot summit of America’s Mountain; Pikes Peak! This puts stress on both man and machinery as the air get thinner as higher they reach; making engines loosing power and it just get harder to breathe. So this is a challenge with out anything like it around the globe.

The two Olsbergs/MSE Ford Fiestas are based on the Div 1 Rallycross Ford Fiesta 2009 Andreas Eriksson use in the European Rallycross Championship but with a number of modifications.

The power output is increased to an impressive 850 + Bhp from the Div1 cars 600 and delivering a monstrous level of 900 + Nm of torque, this thanks to a larger Turbo without any restrictor. But the most significant changes on the car is the massive Aero-package with a carbon fibre splitter in front and a huge rear wing. This to create loads of down force to keep the Fiesta on track. It was necessary to fit and extra fuel-cell for the extra fuel needed. The PPIHC cars has a modified exhaust system with any noise restraints so you can imagine how it sounds on full throttle in action, its awesome on 9000 Rpm.

Both Andreas Eriksson and Marcus Grönholm enjoyed to cars very much, and Marcus comments after his first laps on the race track was; -I like this car, a lot. It handles very very well, it has a precise steering just how I like it and it has plenty of power. Maybe I would prefer little more torque on the lower revs but I have to floor it. Well it feels really good, as this new gearbox and linkage it’s delicate so I’m pretty convinced this will be good, Marcus ends.

Before Andreas and Marcus do catch the plane to US Andreas will take on the competition in ERC at the Höljes track in Sweden. He will have company in the paddock in Höljes by the Norwegian WRC star Henning Solberg who will do his ERC come back in his MSE Div1 Ford Fiesta.

The race to the clouds at Pikes Peak will go off on the 19: Th of July.

http://teamrs.aeston.no/?vis=nyhet&id=4814
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hq8NsdpKk"]YouTube - Ford unveils new Rally Fiesta for Pikes Peak International Hill Climb[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uZT0vSdGmg"]YouTube - Ford Fiesta Pikes Peak Day 4 Practice[/ame]
    Last edited by carreragt10; 07-19-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

lets face it. thats not a ford fiesta. its a ford fiesta *shell* containing a beast of a machine. they just use the fact that its a fiesta in order to promote it. this is as far as you could get from a ford fiesta

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    I just read that it finished a run with a rear tyre on fire.....damn.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

... it has a big rear spoiler...

nono.

I should say HUGE.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    lets face it. thats not a ford fiesta. its a ford fiesta *shell* containing a beast of a machine. they just use the fact that its a fiesta in order to promote it. this is as far as you could get from a ford fiesta
    And thats different from all the other type of racing because.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

And don't forget that of the two cars that started the climb only one made it to the end. Not in one piece as it started because it blew up the turbo but never the less it's no small deed for a car that thad no previous experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenkel View Post
    And don't forget that of the two cars that started the climb only one made it to the end. Not in one piece as it started because it blew up the turbo but never the less it's no small deed for a car that thad no previous experience.
    wasn't it used on rallycross already?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    They are using it on the X Games 15 rallycross track as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    the rallycross fiestas have nearly 1000 BHP and accelerate to 100 km/h in about 2 seconds
    12 cylinders or walk!

Thread Information