Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Indy 500

Yes sir.

My problem is that I don't find a whole lot in IRL entertaining other than the storylines. As has been mentioned, even the road courses seldom bring good racing (F1 has it more often in my opinion) and the oval racing isn't as closely contested for as much of the race as you see in NASCAR. Plus I find it almost sacrilege to have open wheeled cars on ovals, excluding the little sprint cars.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Yes sir.

My problem is that I don't find a whole lot in IRL entertaining other than the storylines. As has been mentioned, even the road courses seldom bring good racing (F1 has it more often in my opinion) and the oval racing isn't as closely contested for as much of the race as you see in NASCAR. Plus I find it almost sacrilege to have open wheeled cars on ovals, excluding the little sprint cars.
    No problems, just that I did not feel like reading about a peripheral aspect of the race in all of those posts.
    I agree with you on the Indy racers itself. Nevertheless, the Indy 500 is something special, and while the action may not be permanent, it a still a nice event in terms of who is doing what and why. In this respect it is comparable to the upcoming LeMans 24 Hours, which also does not see much of real close racing, and for longer times can simply be boring but the tension remains in the air for 24 hours.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Johnny Mowlem was on the Eurosport UK team covering it and they commented at the wrap up how much better IRL was getting after the champ car break-away/return and that with more road circuits than ovals it was a really great series.
    Time to find the IRL broadcasts I think

I agree with you Pieter. If we had Le Mans 24h every month we'd complain about how borign it was too I do believe SOME motorsport events are only good when experienced live and in person though. I thnk the Indy 500 is one of those. For me Le Mans and IoM TT fall into that. I don't even watch any race highlights from the latter if I'm not there.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Le Mans and Indy are really great parallels. they are some of the only races where there are teams that only seek to compete in that one race. i guess IoM as well, but that's bikes, and bikes don't count. for these events it isnt so much about the competition, it is more about the spectacle. it is why indy continues to be the largest single day sporting event in the world, and why epople flock from all over the world to go to LM. People don't care about the racing, it is for the experience and the history. Indy has long since stopped being relevant to the international racing scene. and certainly is miles away from being the technological developing ground it was originally designed to be (4wd turbine power anyone?).

but we still watch it. and we all want to go to it at some point, because of the mystique, pageantry, splendor and historical significance. sometimes the racing is good, other times it isn't, but it doesn't really matter does it?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Volunteered for this when it came to my city. I don't think volunteering is my thing. But I'm definetly going there to buy a $30.00 car shirt when it comes here again.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information