Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Depressing Automotive Conversation Ever

I don't think CG's posts are meant to make sense. I think they are just meant to boost post counts.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I don't think CG's posts are meant to make sense. I think they are just meant to boost post counts.
    If that's the case, I must be one low-ranking forum member - Barely 2,000 posts in 5 years...tsk, tsk.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    If that's the case, I must be one low-ranking forum member - Barely 2,000 posts in 5 years...tsk, tsk.
    That's twice as good as me

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Read that twice...still don't get it. Do explain.
    The bad part being the guy prefering the hybrid over his SLS. And the good part being a bit funny. Got it?
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    The bad part being the guy prefering the hybrid over his SLS. And the good part being a bit funny. Got it?
    I now understand that "the good" was meant to mean that the situation is funny, which I'd definitely agree with, but how I was supposed to figure that out I don't know!

- Maybe he enjoys driving the Prius more because he gets attantion from hot liberal chicks that don't mind a threeway (and can fit them in the car)! I guess we'll never know.

on a more serious note, what is it about the Prius, is it the car itself we don't like, or the people who drive them, or the more general idea that this is foreboding the future (distant?) where cars as we now know them, will be confined to musea?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I can't honestly find something innerly wrong with the Prius. It may not be dead cheap, but even its competition isn't as cheap as we'd like.
    Also, the simpler and less expensive Insight, which relatively to its technology and to the Prius is also more frugal, isn't exactly a success, especially with buyers also considering more expensive versions of it. So price is definitely not the point there.

If we have to consider its buyers, well, many brands out there are in a similar situation, so if I have to try to appreciate a BMW or Mini for what it really is, so it should be with the Prius.

It may not be what an enthusiast dreams of, but that's the case also with a lot of its competitors, and considering who it is amied at, it may also be a better product than say a Fiat Bravo or a Citroen C4.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I can kind of relate. Kind of.

When my Falcon was registered, i still preferred driving my Pulsar. Why? The Pulsar was manual for one, but you had to work alot harder to drive it. The Falcon was a numb car to drive normally. You breathe on the throttle and its doing 60km/h before you know it. Wheres the fun there. The Pulsar driven normally is already in 4th gear at 60km/h.

This guy couldve had any other econobox POS and compared to an SLS it couldve easiliy been more rewarding to drive to and from work.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    on a more serious note, what is it about the Prius, is it the car itself we don't like,
    Personally, I dislike cars that have no personality. - I feel that cars shouldn't simply become appliances like dishwashers or vacuum cleaners...and that's not just because I'm a car enthusiast.

Think about it this way: To the average person, using the dishwasher or vacuum cleaner is a menial chore. They want to get it done as soon as possible in order to get on with doing something more interesting or satisfying. If we allow attitudes towards motoring to become similar, the standard of driving throughout the World will nosedive, leading to wreck and ruin on the roads. As it stands, every day I already find myself having to allow for or predict the actions of brainless idiots commuting to and from work with their car in gear but their brain in neutral.

Quite frankly, the thought of a disinterested idiot in something like a Chrysler Voyager (over 2 tons of metal) with minimal driving skills and little regard for what they are doing scares the s*** out of me.

or the more general idea that this is foreboding the future (distant?) where cars as we now know them, will be confined to musea?
    The future of driving as we know it is a very complicated subject. - There are many variables not limited to political desires, social & public attitudes etc. that will determine the future of motoring depending on the country in which you live.

Personally as a citizen of the United Kingdom, I think that the E.U. has done us no favours (I would happily see the UK leave the United States of Europe ) with it's punitive and poorly though-out laws relating to driving. In the UK, we don't need things such as daytime running lights (they are simply ridiculous on a bright summer day): If a driver cannot be trusted to determine when lights are needed, they shouldn't be driving at all.

or the people who drive them
    Relating to the Prius, I think it's this attitude that causes most people to dislike them. The Prius has become a symbol of all that is bad about the current dubious craze to be seen to be doing something about the state of our Planet (whether this was Toyota's intention or not is open to discussion). A proportion of the owners are shout neurotic nonsense so loudly that they cause anyone with any common sense to realise that they're talking rubbish and resent them for trying to force their whims and desires on the rest of society.

That may explain why I prefer my mother's Stilo over my father's Croma, but possibly among the best cars I've happened to drive is my aunt's Nissan Micra/March K11C.

Personally, I dislike cars that have no personality. - I feel that cars shouldn't simply become appliances like dishwashers or vacuum cleaners...and that's not just because I'm a car enthusiast.

Think about it this way: To the average person, using the dishwasher or vacuum cleaner is a menial chore. They want to get it done as soon as possible in order to get on with doing something more interesting or satisfying. If we allow attitudes towards motoring to become similar, the standard of driving throughout the World will nosedive, leading to wreck and ruin on the roads. As it stands, every day I already find myself having to allow for or predict the actions of brainless idiots commuting to and from work with their car in gear but their brain in neutral.

Quite frankly, the thought of a disinterested idiot in something like a Chrysler Voyager (over 2 tons of metal) with minimal driving skills and little regard for what they are doing scares the s*** out of me.
    I believe it's already too late for that.
    Right after cars became a mass product, people started using them as appliances. The only thing that will keep companies trying or saying they are trying to make cars more interesting is that male subjects tends to manifest their hormones' situation trough cars.

Other than that I think most drivers don't care about their cars if not for a trend factor. Enthusiasts are, by definition, a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I can kind of relate. Kind of.

When my Falcon was registered, i still preferred driving my Pulsar. Why? The Pulsar was manual for one, but you had to work alot harder to drive it. The Falcon was a numb car to drive normally. You breathe on the throttle and its doing 60km/h before you know it. Wheres the fun there. The Pulsar driven normally is already in 4th gear at 60km/h.
    I think that says more about the Ford than it does the Pulsar. Possibly that it's not been designed as a serious "driver's" car, rather something that owners can brag about to their mates at the bar. If it's the kind of car where the designers prioritised huge trendy wheels over a limited slip diff, you know where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    This guy couldve had any other econobox POS and compared to an SLS it couldve easiliy been more rewarding to drive to and from work.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    That may explain why I prefer my mother's Stilo over my father's Croma
    Just because a car's small and cheap, it doesn't mean that it can't be fun. - Actually, some of the best experiences can be had in cars that most would consider to be s**tboxes.

- If you own a nice car for example, you tend to be cautious about doing anything that could possibly damage it. This makes you overly paranoid about it and that's not fun. If however you own an old banger, you can beat on it and laugh about it, because one more scratch won't matter.

but possibly among the best cars I've happened to drive is my aunt's Nissan Micra/March K11C.
    I'm sorry, but despite what I just said above, that is truly tragic.
    Last edited by Clivey; 08-07-2010 at 11:19 AM.

That last quote is mine!
    The Micra is awesome, really. Low, reactive, frugal. WIN.

Also, my point on the Stilo, is that it is a very very average car, with questionable choices when it comes to the design. The Croma has a more powerful engine, six gears, but its suspensions tends to "protect" the car a bit too much, it's a safe setup which influences quite substantially the dynamics. Also,t he steering is a bit cold, disconnected, mainly because of the Opel's mechanism I suspect, other Fiats don't behave that way.

Another awesome car is the original Fiat Panda, no doubt on that.
    Surely I'd enjoy that car over many other more powerful modern cars. Except for the air conditioning.

That last quote is mine!
    Yes, so it was (sorry, I pasted-in the wrong text whilst) - now edited.

The Micra is awesome, really. Low, reactive, frugal. WIN.
    Micra? Reactive? Whatever you've been taking, I'll have some!

Also, my point on the Stilo, is that it is a very very average car, with questionable choices when it comes to the design. The Croma has a more powerful engine, six gears, but its suspensions tends to "protect" the car a bit too much, it's a safe setup which influences quite substantially the dynamics. Also,t he steering is a bit cold, disconnected, mainly because of the Opel's mechanism I suspect, other Fiats don't behave that way.

Another awesome car is the original Fiat Panda, no doubt on that.
    Surely I'd enjoy that car over many other more powerful modern cars. Except for the air conditioning.
    This is exactly what I meant when I mentioned cars becoming appliances. It's a travesty that the cheapest "enthusiast's" car (that's NOT a supermini), at least in the UK, is the Mazda MX-5 1.8 at over seventeen grand!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Ok... Not really.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information