Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the stage set for a Porsche F1 team?

Is the stage set for a Porsche F1 team?

well, over the past years Porsche has been sponsoring the American television showings of formula one. though they have not, to the best of my knowledge, had a team racing. now, with the production of the Carrera GT, they have a production V10 engine.

i think, though i have not read or searched anything on the matter, that porsche is setting up for a Formula one team debut(i think its a debut, i dont think they have had a F1 team)

has anyone elso come to this conclusion? or has anyone read of Porsche's intention to race in F1?
    pondering things

If they did, they'd obviously be going out to match Ferrari and i dont know if they could afford such a thing. They'd need a few years to establish themselves in the category before being competitive, much like what Toyota's going through now and what BAR previously went through, it would require alot of money every year. Maybe something more viable would be to become an engine supplier and maybe hook up with Sauber
    I am the Stig

I don't think Porsche have enough money at the moment. And besides, with F1 in a bit of a rough spot now isn't exactly the perfect time to join..

They work pretty close with VAG, like with the Cayenne/Toureg, so IF they were to enter, would it surprise anyone if it was with VAG funding?
    I am the Stig

wouldnt surprise me, but as VAG doesnt make as much money as they used to, they are not gonna fund it.They fired thousands of workers in germany,to save costs.Why start an expensive F1 team then ?

Porsche has had an F1 team tough, in the eighties, early nineties, if im not mistaking..

Well i think the F1 link does alot more for manufacturers such as Ferrari, BMW and Mercedes benz as it does for like Honda, Renault and Toyota, so there'd be benefits for Porsche to get back in IMO. If VAG helped Porsche get in, even as an engine supplier, there'd be the VAG link alongside BMW and MB and the Porsche link with Ferrari. Interesting thought
    I am the Stig

at first ferrari started producing road cars to actually finance their racing teams in the early days of ferrari. and im sure Porsche has alot of money cause their sales have gone up amazingly in the past few years. so i think they can afford to make an F1 team and i think they should .. it would be pretty cool.. same Goes For Lamborghini i think they should make one too...
    Raging Bull

I'd not put money on it.
    Designing an F1 winning car isn't just about money.
    Look at BMW investement in new aero designer and computer time and wind tunnel to produce a "better" front nose. Nobody else copied it - and you can be certain they'll have tested it. So BMW screwed up thinking money and computers made a difference.
    There is another side to F1 and it's experience.
    THAT is why Ferrari are still winning, yeah they thro shedloads f money - but so do others ( esp. if you take driver salary out of the equation ). Ferrari have knowledge thtat they use to evolve their designs. So they start 2005 with the 2004 car - NOT because they can't build a new car, becase they get the performance they need
    Porsceh couldn't hope to do that for a number of years.
    Don't see them squandering their $$$ from the Cayenne on F1 when they can sponsor the TV shows in the US and get as much exposure - and with NO risk of being last on the grid (Ford )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Didn't no they sponsored anyone?
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Why does Porsche using a V10 engine, originally destined for a cancelled sportscar (LMP or GTS) project), translate into an F1 team?

Don't forget that the rules state a 3-litre V10, not 5.7-litres as in the CGT engine.

Also, and perhaps more crucially, 2005 is the last year of V10s, they will be using V8s after that. Unless Porsche are entering this year, which they aren't, it would be a bit pointless developing a V10 if you can't use it.

It wouldn't even be any good as a marketing tie-in:
    "Our brand new supercar has a V10 engine, just like our F1 car would have had, if it didn't have a V8." I can't imagine that tagline selling many cars.

I think that if they canceled another major motorsports project, they aren't about to embark on another even more expensive one.

There is the possibility of a GTS CGT, even if it is developed by a private team, but an F1 team seems very unlikely to me.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    well, over the past years Porsche has been sponsoring the American television showings of formula one. though they have not, to the best of my knowledge, had a team racing. now, with the production of the Carrera GT, they have a production V10 engine.

i think, though i have not read or searched anything on the matter, that porsche is setting up for a Formula one team debut(i think its a debut, i dont think they have had a F1 team)

has anyone elso come to this conclusion? or has anyone read of Porsche's intention to race in F1?
    they had an F1 car in the 50's or 60's they had an article in excellence

the V10 is muuuch to large to put into an F1 car, but i think it would be awesome if porsche returned to Le Mans instead of F1
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

they could use the cayenne V8

Quote Originally Posted by dimlight
    they could use the cayenne V8
    No, no they couldn't.

Everyone else is busy building high-tech 2.4-litre V8 designed to produce 700bhp reliably over several race weekends.

You think Porsche would use a big, heavy, 340bhp 4.5-litre V8 (no turbos allowed) from an SUV?
    Thanks for all the fish

Even if Porsche wanted to use a big heavy lump of Cayenne V8, the rules wouldn't allow it. I did hear a rumour of Porsche reviving the 928, or at least using that V8 in a sports saloon. That was a while ago though, and nothing seems to have come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Why does Porsche using a V10 engine, originally destined for a cancelled sportscar (LMP or GTS) project), translate into an F1 team?

Don't forget that the rules state a 3-litre V10, not 5.7-litres as in the CGT engine.
    well, i figure that they need experiance working with a larger engine. i imagine there would be some different mechanics in a V10 than a flat 6. i imagine they would use the V10 of the CGT to gain the experiance needed to run an F1 team. just what i pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    If VAG helped Porsche get in, even as an engine supplier, there'd be the VAG link alongside BMW and MB and the Porsche link with Ferrari. Interesting thought
    i think vagina everytime i see VAG
    pondering things

Thread Information