Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you like in a picture?

What do you like in a picture?

What things do you like in a picture?
    Action, color, variety? What are you interested in? I would like to know what you like in a photo, so I can take better pictures. Thank You
    Last edited by McReis; 07-23-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    boobies!

Personally I like pictures that make you feel like a moment in time was captured. Not just of an object, but of an object that captures the emotions of an event, or of action happening. The other important thing is good framing, either after the fact with photo editing, or just good photography. Often you see pictures where the action or object is very small with lots of bland space around it. It can work if the scenery helps tell the story, but often its just whitespace, so to speak.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

There are several things that I look in a picture before I decide it cool:

*Clarity, not to clatered or maybe if the clater is in the background and the focus is on the main target no matter of the background/foreground
    *Color, it has to be unique and not bland nor too sharp
    *Composure, interesting angles or shadings and lights

Basicly not your everyday picture...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

First of all originality ! I myself try to be original in my pictures, because everybody could take a picture of for example a nice view. Don't just take standard pictures, but don't be afraid to develop your own style. I kind of like the dark/moody/communist-style I adopted. AFAIK noone does this with the subjects I shoot.

- Using composition techniques you can also accomplish a lot. If you don't master that you can buy a 10.000€ camera and still take crap pictures. When walking somewhere with (or without) my camera I always look around a lot. You can find a lot of original angles if you do so. Say I'm walking through a city centre, my head is constantly moving and my brains running trying to find a good composition. Don't be afraid to try different angles and stuff. I started out with a really crap camera, but I happened to catch some interesting angles and continued with it, having a lot of good times.

Offcourse the technical stuff's need to be right, things like shutter time, DOF and others.

So for me it is mostly technical stuff, originality and composition for the most part. Offcourse feeling is involved too.

That its orginal, or that you dont see it EVERY day. I think thats the biggest problem with pics submitted on here...

You can't really ask this question mate, if you're trying to get better. It's about the scene YOU saw, how YOU visualized your photo and how YOU recorded that with your camera. Read up on photography a bit, the techniques, composition, rule of thirds, exposure, etc etc. Go out, take some photos post them here. We'll all tell you how each one can be improved. If you're struggling for inspiration take a look at some pro's websites
    My other signature has a V12

Quote Originally Posted by Pinin View Post
    You can't really ask this question mate, if you're trying to get better. It's about the scene YOU saw, how YOU visualized your photo and how YOU recorded that with your camera. Read up on photography a bit, the techniques, composition, rule of thirds, exposure, etc etc. Go out, take some photos post them here. We'll all tell you how each one can be improved. If you're struggling for inspiration take a look at some pro's websites
    Just to add, there's a lot to be said for just going out and taking pictures of stuff you like. Don't force yourself to go and try to do arty shit with the statues in the city because you saw it in a book unless taking pics of statues is your thing. Go out, snap away at the things that please you.

Remember: Unless you're a pro, the most important thing is that you like it.

Once you've had chance to learn some cool stuff by trial and error and a bit of light reading (there's tons of stuff on the web. wikipedia's not a bad start, though possibly a bit over-technical) , you'll get a feel for what you're good at and what grabs you. Work with it. Once you've got a bit more experience and and a better understanding, then go try the funky arty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    Don't force yourself to go and try to do arty shit with the statues in the city because you saw it in a book unless taking pics of statues is your thing. Go out, snap away at the things that please you.
    Definatley. Generally, don't try and duplicate a nice photo you saw (at least not at this point). Think what you liked about it - light, angle, composition, shutter speed, dof, etc, and try to use similar techniques in a photo of your own.
    My other signature has a V12

This is some great advice!
    Here is a pic I took a while ago.
    Bunnies are my thing
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a wicked picture

I like colours to be nice. Can't be too bland and lifeless or too sharp like GT1 said (taking the words right out of my mouth).
    Again, originality and personal taste are hugely important. I rarely take wildlife pictures, unless i find a really really nice picture to take. Try to be as interesting as you can, look at pictures you've taken and see how you can improve them, and then when you come to take your next pictures, it will help you take better pics. That's what i've learnt, and that process definitely accelerated a great deal when i got my new camera and started taking pictures much more often.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    boobies!
    I approve of this post.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Why was my post edited? What was removed?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Othr_Canuck View Post
    Good job, I like the one with the side of the building and in the reflection you see the sky... it's pretty cool.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks

Thread Information