Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Alfa Romeo problem

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy but do Alfa Romeo seriously think they are going to crack the US market in such a way as into increase sales five fold?

Hell, even VW is a bit player in that marketplace. They're setting themselves up for a world of hurt and I'm deeply concerned that attempts to pander to the US market will neuter the brand into obliteration.

I've seen a few MiTo's kicking about my parts...I see a panda, certainly. I guess the problem in Australia (and this goes for the FIAT 500 too) is they are just too gosh darn expensive for what they are.

I mean hell, a FIAT 500 costs nearly $30,000 Australian Dollars.

Also, 14,000th post. woo hoo!
    That's a freaking amount of money!

I guess they are confident that the MiTo will keep the good momentum with the new engines and a recovering market, the Giulietta will definitely help as the didn't sell any 147 or so recently, while the new Giulia (aka 159's replacement) should help too.
    Not saying the target is possible, I think those are barely blanket statements for the average car related magazine reader and investors.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Even with bullish confidence, a FIVE FOLD increase in 5 years?

They'd be able to write how-to books and do lectures for businesses for the rest of their lives if they pulled that off.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

the 159 is a beautiful thing to behold, certainly. the detailing is elegant and the execution bang on, but it's just...I don't know, lacking a little bit of interest. It's too aloof a design. It's like the pretty girl you see in class, who is too pretty to talk to for fear of her rejection. As opposed to previous Alfa's which were achingly pretty and you would risk rejection just to hear her speak...
    The Zen master in me says that the problem lies with YOU, not in girls being too pretty...

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    The Zen master in me says that the problem lies with YOU, not in girls being too pretty...
    But thats just it. There is enough beauty there to create panic and indeed interest, but not enough to overcome that initial fear and replace it with desire.

Zen master should stick to sand raking

It's ok, while IB4R will ponder if it's the irght time or not to make his move, me and Revo will fight to death for the lovely lady. Then we'll kill each other, and IB4R will have the lady all for himself. ****.

Even with bullish confidence, a FIVE FOLD increase in 5 years?

They'd be able to write how-to books and do lectures for businesses for the rest of their lives if they pulled that off.
    "The Alfa Romeo brand is a tough one to pin down... or perhaps it's parent company Fiat that's elusive, or maybe just CEO Sergio Marchionne that refuses to be a fixed target. New Alfa-Abarth-Maserati CEO Harald Wester has said that Alfa's long-term sales target is 500,000 vehicles by 2014. That's a mountainous 400,000-unit increase over 2009 sales,"

Good luck.

Following the girl analogy, Alfa is still an incredibly beautiful girl. But now instead of it's completely beautiful but rather flimsy clothes, she has some shirts and trousers that are much better but which hide everything. And her cool and elegant Dolce & Gabanna sun glasses, which you couldn't see out off, have been replaced by some Porsche Design glasses which are much easier to wear and much more comfortable and useable.

In other words, the passion, beauty and soul is still there. It's just getting covered by a layer of common sense. And in an Alfa, that's a bad thing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would say that with some of their less desirable models, it's more akin to putting lipstick on a pig, ie. starting with some uninspired Fiat platform and trying to Alfa-ize it. If the Giulietta is merely a beautiful girl dressing down that should surely be an easier slope to scale.

I want to suggest a factory tuner to inject some lunacy into Alfas, but I think making an Alfa Alfa-like after the fact is just as bad as diluting one that always has been.

On a side note; Ferrer, what do you consider the definitive post-war Alfa?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I don't think Alfa need a factory tuner, they just need halo varients atop the model stacks. Alfa are Alfa, they're already known for quick little cars. There's talk of Abarth getting involved, I think branding an Alfa as an Abarth is a bad idea, but sharing Abarth knowhow into GTA/QF models makes sense. I do agree that the current models look a bit bulbous from certain angles, but I don't think they look too bad. I prefer the 159/Brera type designs though. To my mind they abandoned it just as they were perfecting it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Following the girl analogy, Alfa is still an incredibly beautiful girl. But now instead of it's completely beautiful but rather flimsy clothes, she has some shirts and trousers that are much better but which hide everything. And her cool and elegant Dolce & Gabanna sun glasses, which you couldn't see out off, have been replaced by some Porsche Design glasses which are much easier to wear and much more comfortable and useable.

In other words, the passion, beauty and soul is still there. It's just getting covered by a layer of common sense. And in an Alfa, that's a bad thing.
    Dolce & Gabbana (even more than D&G) is t be rejected now. She is probably wearing ubiquitous Rayban, but she's still damn hot. Possibly, the fact that she is not wearing super tight clothes or too short shirts and skirts makes her more attractive, because she'd be a common girl for the common dudes like those selfish enthusiasts in internet's forums...
    Alfa has never been a superstar in the last 50 years, she is the damn hot girl next door, the Italian lday who just moved into your foreign town, etc etc
    She's not Maserati, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I want to suggest a factory tuner to inject some lunacy into Alfas, but I think making an Alfa Alfa-like after the fact is just as bad as diluting one that always has been.
    Autodelta? (the uk based tuner I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I don't think Alfa need a factory tuner, they just need halo varients atop the model stacks. Alfa are Alfa, they're already known for quick little cars. There's talk of Abarth getting involved, I think branding an Alfa as an Abarth is a bad idea, but sharing Abarth knowhow into GTA/QF models makes sense. I do agree that the current models look a bit bulbous from certain angles, but I don't think they look too bad. I prefer the 159/Brera type designs though. To my mind they abandoned it just as they were perfecting it.
    The Abarth move involves only bits and bites, not rebadging cars which I agree wouldn't be a wise move. It would also be a purely marketing idea, as sharing the knowhow or whatever else is like knocking the door to the office next to yours, and asking to the dude in that office to tell you were are is the folder with the Abarth data. If you didn't have that folder already in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Dolce & Gabbana (even more than D&G) is t be rejected now. She is probably wearing ubiquitous Rayban, but she's still damn hot. Possibly, the fact that she is not wearing super tight clothes or too short shirts and skirts makes her more attractive, because she'd be a common girl for the common dudes like those selfish enthusiasts in internet's forums...
    Alfa has never been a superstar in the last 50 years, she is the damn hot girl next door, the Italian lday who just moved into your foreign town, etc etc
    She's not Maserati, eventually.
    Alfa Romeo is the type of girl that is aware of trends, but tries not to be too ahead of the curve.

She's distinctly aware and proud of her heritage, but unsure of quite what to do with it. She comes from old money, but she's always tried to be frugal with her funds.

She's attractive to others, but resents being seen for her skin deep appeal, and her close group of friends (owners) know of her deeper ability. She can be quite the party girl when she chooses, but is just as happy with a weekend in the country.

Most recently she's attempted to grow up a little bit in the hopes of being seen more maturely, but this has resulted in an awkward stage where she still wants to be youthful, but adult in her attitude. She's trying to carry off Hugo Boss on a Topshop budget, and she's bound to make a few errors, but when she gets it right, it's magic.

Wow i've overanalysed that, but I think i'm pretty bang on

I just want something hott that moves me when I push it, analysis be damned. If she wants to be moody when I'm watching TV then so be it, but on a glorious day when I want some action then by gum I wants me some.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Alfa Romeo is the type of girl that is aware of trends, but tries not to be too ahead of the curve.

She's distinctly aware and proud of her heritage, but unsure of quite what to do with it. She comes from old money, but she's always tried to be frugal with her funds.

She's attractive to others, but resents being seen for her skin deep appeal, and her close group of friends (owners) know of her deeper ability. She can be quite the party girl when she chooses, but is just as happy with a weekend in the country.

Most recently she's attempted to grow up a little bit in the hopes of being seen more maturely, but this has resulted in an awkward stage where she still wants to be youthful, but adult in her attitude. She's trying to carry off Hugo Boss on a Topshop budget, and she's bound to make a few errors, but when she gets it right, it's magic.

Wow i've overanalysed that, but I think i'm pretty bang on
    Not sure about Hugo Boss, but otherwise yeah, it appears it's her.
    Especially the weekend in the country.

I saw a couple of 8C2900s this weekend. I fail to see how those can be referred to as "girls".
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well maybe people should stop thinking that Alfa Romeo delivers unreliable rusty cars... (ok I agree it's a miracle we found a rust-free Alfasud TI QV)

Clearly the policy led by the firm has failed judging from their history and the success met by BMW, that they are still purchaising...

But the passion is still strong and people are still full of admiration for the cars of the brand. When I take my dad's 159 TI and go in the street I can't count the number of BMW, Audi and Mercedes drivers looking at the car with envy.

As you said, Alfa romeo now releases good and reliable cars, but the fashion moves on the BMs and the Audis is too important for them, and they have to keep the head up mainly with Alfistis, poor stuff...

I'll try to put some photos of my parents' trip in Spa and Monza on the forum soon.

tc

Vincent

Thread Information