Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car ownership, advice welcomed

Car ownership, advice welcomed

I'm a bit in a rush to get a car before this weekend, which is far from great as I'd like to do this with as much pondering as possible.

What I've considered/can afford so far are:

2002 Renault Clio, either the 1.2 or 1.4 petrol engines or the 1.5 diesel engine.
    2006 Renault Clio, only a few of them within my budget (favorite)

Previous gen VW Polo and Seat Ibiza, again with the 1.2 or 1.4 petrol engine, or 1.4 TDI

Previous gen Ford Fiesta, same engines as the Polo

Fiat Panda, basically only the 1.2 petrol engine is available for a reasonable price

Previous gene Nissan Micra, same as the Clios for what regards engines.

These are the main candidates.
    I'd like to ask if any fellow European (meainly) member has any personal experience with them or know something about them to narrow down the selection.

Anything more powerful than 55 kW/ton or more than 70 kW is out, new law for newly licensed drivers (the gf), and also for running costs reasons.

Previous gen Fiat Punto is a no go, just uncomfortable. Would avois also the previous gen Citroen C3, horrible interiors, and Peugeot 206, even worse.

Help.
    Quickly.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

So you need a new car before this friday? Crikey!

I only have personal experience with the Polo 1.4 TDi, of those you mentioned. It was a five door, 70bhp engine with the five speed manual. Not very fun but competent. Engine felt fast for the advertised power (ran up to 160km/h easily) but seriously noisy and harsh.

I've driven the Ibiza as well, with the 101bhp 1.9 TDi, same as the Polo only was much more added punch. Handling pretty much the same, perhaps suspension a bit stiffer but not noticeable enough to be decisive. Also, I've tried the 86bhp 1.4 16v in a newer Ibiza ST. Felt slow and needed to be worked hard to make decent progress. Much more smoother and nicer sounding though.

I'd give the Fiesta a try, personally. Out of the ones you mentioned it seems the most enthusiast oriented. Not sure about the interior quality, though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

What about a Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi?, you'll get a car doing really good milage, and a high resale price!
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

The Peugeot 206 has a history of crappy interior quality, and the overall assembly isn't that good either. Must have something to do with the average 206's owner though.
    HDI models have too many miles too, I've set my standard as under 125.000 km.

I'm considering renting a microcar (Panda, 500 and the likes) for next week, would cost 170 € but also give me more time to come to a decent decision.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

I don't like the quality of VW's ride, stiff and yet not sporty. The Ibiza felt a bit better when I got few rides in one some years ago.
    I actually don't have so many options so it will probably be based on the better offer I'll find. I just want to exclude cars with a known problem and that kind of stuff.

Like crappy seats on the Citroen C2 and C3, or the uncomfortable seats in the previous gen Punto.

I don't know if it is the case with the Fiesta, but Puma's door panels fell off after just 50.000km. So look out for those in Fiestas as well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

This car is supposed to be based on the newer gen, isn't it'?
    The interior quality seems much better on post-2006 models, but they don't come cheap.

I didn't mention the previous gen Opel Corsa. I just dislike it, sad interiors and another pointlessly stiff ride.

I would consider the Seat Ibiza, there are quiete a few of those running around here in Mexico and from what people say, itīs VW quality at a lower price. And the interior isnīt bad at all I think.

I donīt know if my comments help out. Just food for thought.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    I would consider the Seat Ibiza, there are quiete a few of those running around here in Mexico and from what people say, itīs VW quality at a lower price. And the interior isnīt bad at all I think.

I donīt know if my comments help out. Just food for thought.
    It's more than welcomed Taz.

I'm afraid I'll be forced to rent the small car, I can't really see myself finding a car of my linkings and hat fits the requirement in a few days and getting insurance and property done. The problem with renting the car is that it has a 150 km daily cap, and the drive to/from work is 152 km...
    Would have to rely on the day of delivery to lower the daily average.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    It's more than welcomed Taz.

I'm afraid I'll be forced to rent the small car, I can't really see myself finding a car of my linkings and hat fits the requirement in a few days and getting insurance and property done. The problem with renting the car is that it has a 150 km daily cap, and the drive to/from work is 152 km...
    Would have to rely on the day of delivery to lower the daily average.
    Whatīs the hurry of getting the car before the weekend Leon? Hot date?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    Whatīs the hurry of getting the car before the weekend Leon? Hot date?
    Quite the opposite, the gf got a job today, will start on monday. We were already planning to buy a car, I just figured we were getting a bit more time to get things done, and eventually this still excellent news came in a very busy week. Apparently a friend is going to borrow us her car for next week, so we'll have a bit more time to decide.

There are a couple of 2006 Clios that I'd really like to check. Being the newest car in the list, design wise, I'd expect a better quality/safety.

They're all great cars and it really just depends on your priorities. If you were relatively indifferent I'd go for the Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra, Reliability + ease and cheapness or repair if something goes wrong.

It's easy to discount the value of reliability until you're standing on the side of the highway waiting for a tow truck or sitting at the garage as they hand you a long, long list of what needs fixing or replacing; all with ridiculous prices next to each item.

Is it too obvious this is the opinion of someone who has owned Land Rovers? Maybe, I'm just saying take the opportunity to learn from others mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    They're all great cars and it really just depends on your priorities. If you were relatively indifferent I'd go for the Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra, Reliability + ease and cheapness or repair if something goes wrong.

It's easy to discount the value of reliability until you're standing on the side of the highway waiting for a tow truck or sitting at the garage as they hand you a long, long list of what needs fixing or replacing; all with ridiculous prices next to each item.

Is it too obvious this is the opinion of someone who has owned Land Rovers? Maybe, I'm just saying take the opportunity to learn from others mistakes.
    I've actually considered that. I know VAG cars are overall reliable, but often requires little fixes, especially for what regards the lights and sometimes injectors. All DIY works, but they just add up to the overall cost.

If it's for the GF I reckon the Panda. I know my sister likes the idea of rolling in something called a Panda, which is about as ringing an endorsement as a car can get from her. [disclaimer: not really]. Also I kinda like them for some reason.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

She is an automotive engineer.

They can like Pandas. Maybe she can take it apart and improve it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information