Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus IS-F (XE20) 2007-2012

Lexus IS-F (XE20) 2007-2012

Lexus Unveils Two High-Performance Vehicles at the 2007 North American International Auto Show
    01/08/2007 Detroit
    January 8, 2007 - Detroit - Lexus unveiled the IS-F high-performance luxury sedan and the LF-A sports-car concept at a press conference today at the 2007 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit.
    The all-new 2008 IS-F high-performance luxury sedan will deliver more than 400 horsepower from a 5.0-liter V8 engine when it goes into production. The LF-A supercar concept is equipped with a V10 engine that produces more than 500 horsepower. Together, the two exciting new cars make a dramatic statement of Lexus performance.
    The IS-F and LF-A are very different vehicles, yet they share the same DNA, design philosophy, and heritage. Prominent in both vehicles, the "F" designation was first conceived nearly 20 years ago with a project internally coded "Circle-F," with the "F" standing for "flagship." This was the original code for what became the Lexus Division. The Circle-F designation further evolved into the code name Flagship One, or F1, and the first F1 concept developed into Lexus' first vehicle, the LS. Since then, the "F" code has come to signify a special vehicle program within Lexus that falls outside the normal engineering and development process.
    "Lexus has long been perceived as the maker of mainstream luxury vehicles, but the unveiling of the IS-F and LF-A not only changes this perception, it also introduces a new Lexus marque," said Bob Carter, Lexus Division group vice president and general manager. "The 'F' shared by both vehicles is the signature for a new high-performance marque conceived by an engineering team that dared to turn their dream of 'a Lexus like no other' into a reality."

IS-F Performance Sedan

Much of the development of the new IS-F took place at Fuji Speedway and the Higashi-Fuji Technical Center in Japan. The IS-F is based on the proven rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS, which is equipped with a double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension. As well as the IS performs, Lexus engineers demanded much more of the all-new IS-F. The result is a performance tuned 5.0-liter V8 engine, topped with specially engineered heads fed by a two-stage intake system, that produces 400-plus horsepower and more than 350 ft.-lbs. of torque. The all-new IS-F is equipped with engine-oil and transmission-fluid coolers for high-speed performance and a cylinder head-scavenging oil pump for high g-force driving.
    The IS-F engine is mated to the world's first eight-speed direct sport-shift transmission. A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed that allows for a direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears. In Drive mode, the IS-F transmission performs with great smoothness, and the torque converter allows for great launch ability for fast standing-start acceleration that will register a zero-to-60 time in less than 4.9 seconds.
    This unique transmission also features an advanced Manual mode. A pair of paddles located within a fingertip's reach behind the steering wheel enables the driver to make ultra-fast up-shift gear changes within a tenth of a second. Downshifts are accompanied by automated and incredibly precise throttle blips to match engine RPM to vehicle speed.
    The impressive acceleration achieved by the IS-F requires it be equipped with heavy-duty Brembo brakes designed to the specifications of the Lexus engineering team. Huge, 14.2-inch cross-drilled front discs are gripped by rigid, powerful six-piston aluminum calipers, while 13.6-inch rear cross-drilled discs feature two-piston calipers. High-friction brake pads are equipped on all four wheels. The brakes are finished with the Lexus name displayed on the calipers, a first for a Lexus production vehicle.
    The IS-F features custom-designed 19-inch forged alloy wheels as standard. The wheels were built to Lexus specifications by BBS and are surrounded by high-performance sport tires.
    The attention to performance also extends to a modified suspension that lowers the entire car by more than a half-inch when compared to the base IS, and one full inch when compared to IS models equipped with 18-inch wheels. This specially modified suspension allows for an exciting and energetic drive, whether on a race track or the streets.
    The IS-F features an all-new three-mode version of Lexus' Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system. In addition to the Normal mode, the new VDIM features a Sport mode that allows the driver to push the car even further before its braking-, throttle- and steering-control systems kick in. The third VDIM system mode is Off, which allows the driver to push the IS-F to its ultimate level of handling performance.
    The attention to performance is complemented by modified styling cues that differentiate the IS-F from the standard IS. Lexus engineers provided the IS-F with a dual-exhaust system and quad-tail pipes, wider front fenders, and a larger grille and rear spoiler. Both the hood and lower intake were enlarged to accommodate and cool the V8 engine.
    Like the exterior, the interior of the IS-F receives unique styling with aluminized composite trim and special surface treatments. The instrument panel includes an oil-temperature gauge and shift indicator-lights, while the "F" logo is showcased on the steering wheel and rear-center console.
    In addition to the usual Lexus standards of comfort and convenience, the interior of the IS-F features specially shaped and trimmed seats, which hold the driver comfortably and securely in place. The special sport seats are available in black or a unique high-contrast white and black trim.
    "The intent of creating the IS-F was not to be a competitor to other performance-sport sedans," said Carter. "Rather, the goal was to create a true performance sedan in a uniquely Lexus way-one that is totally authentic with a unique interpretation of raw driving thrill at all speeds and provides a whole new definition of 'usable power.'"
    The IS-F will arrive at Lexus dealerships in early 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Lexus IS-F Preliminary Specifications

Powertrain
    Engine: 5.0 Liter V8

Estimated Horsepower: More than 400

Estimated Torque: More than 350 lb.-ft.

Transmission: Eight-speed direct paddle sport shift gear box

Brakes
    Large diameter cross-drilled discs
    Front/Rear: 14.2 inches/13.6 inches

Opposed aluminum calipers
    Front/Rear: Six piston/two piston

Wheels
    Forged aluminum wheels
    Front: 225/40R19 (19 x8)
    Rear: 255/35R19 (19 x 9)

Performance
    0-60 MPH Acceleration: Under 4.9 seconds

Fuel Economy: TBD

Emissions Rating: ULEV II

Dimensions (inches)
    Overall Length: 183.5

Overall Width: 71.5

Overall Height: 55.5

Wheelbase: 107.5

Lexus IS-F #3

Lexus IS-F #4

Lexus IS-F #5

Lexus IS-F #6

Lexus IS-F #7

Lexus IS-F #8

very nice. thanks man.

Is-it just me or this car looks positively cartoon-like? I think they have butchered the L-finesse design philosophy with a blunt and gaping air dam, front-fender extractor... Now the front end looks overly heavy compared to the rear end... I'm really disappointed in this design, I was expecting something much more subtle from Lexus...

Woah...
    I agree with hchanhle, they most certainly could've been a bit more subtle than that. The hood look huge too, not as graceful as the 6cyl model. And yes, I do realize that there is a V8 under there.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

That looks totally awesome. Love the exhausts, the engine, the look and the car in general. Just wow!

*adds to Dream Car list*

It's got a bit of a strange hood tumor, but I like the way it looks.

I like how it doesn't look like it's trying to be German. Looks a hell of a lot better than the Kia M5.

Edit: Needs a proper stick though.

Quote Originally Posted by hchanhle
    Is-it just me or this car looks positively cartoon-like? I think they have butchered the L-finesse design philosophy with a blunt and gaping air dam, front-fender extractor... Now the front end looks overly heavy compared to the rear end... I'm really disappointed in this design, I was expecting something much more subtle from Lexus...
    I agree completely, it's totally overdone.

EDIT And it only comes as an automatic...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

January 11, 2008 – Torrance, CA - Lexus today announced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the all-new 2008 IS F high-performance sport sedan. The IS F is the first production model to wear the new “F” badge and is the fastest Lexus production car ever built. The 2008 IS F launches onto the market carrying a base MSRP of $56,000.

The 2008 Lexus IS F is exclusively powered by a performance-tuned 5.0-liter V8 engine producing 416 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 371 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 5,200 rpm. With the implementation of a dual air intake system, high-flow cylinder heads with titanium intake valves designed by Yamaha, Variable Valve Timing with intelligence and Electrically controlled intake cam (VVT-iE) and other technological advancements, the engine outputs 83.2 hp per liter allowing the IS F to accelerate from 0 to 60 in a blistering 4.6 seconds and achieve a maximum track speed of 170 mph.

The IS F 5.0-liter engine is mated to the world's first eight-speed Sport Direct-Shift automatic transmission with a quick and direct special lock up clutch and a control system that enables ultra-quick manual upshifts (0.1 seconds) and blips the throttle for precision downshifts. The driver can shift manually using either the console shifter or steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters when driving in either Drive mode (D) or Manual mode (M). The new transmission blends the performance characteristics of an automated manual-type transmission with the smoothness and refinement of a planetary-type automatic transmission, allowing the driver to choose between ultra-quick manual shifts for spirited performance driving and smooth automatic shifts when convenience and comfort are the top priorities.

Tested and tuned on some of the world's most challenging racetracks including Nurburgring Nordschleife and Fuji Speedway, the IS F has been designed for ultimate performance. Although using the basic double-wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear suspension configurations of the standard IS platform, the IS F benefits from a multitude of track-proven modifications that include increased spring and damper rates as well as larger-diameter stabilizer bars. The IS F also sits an inch lower and features suspension bushings and a calibrated Electric Power Steering (EPS) system tuned for a more direct feel.
    In addition to the finely tuned suspension, a specially calibrated version of the advanced Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system is equipped to provide superior handling dynamics and traction control. The IS F is also outfitted with a heavy-duty Brembo® brake system designed to the specifications of the Lexus engineering team. The 14.2-inch ventilated, drilled front rotors are gripped by rigid, powerful six-piston aluminum calipers, while the 13.6-inch ventilated, drilled rear rotors use two-piston calipers.

With new and distinctive high-performance design features, the IS F is set apart from standard Lexus models. The IS F exterior styling has a muscular stance with front fascia, hood, fenders, underbody and rear spoiler all shaped to optimize airflow management and give the IS F a signature look. Unique “F” badges composed of silver, blue and black are located on both front fenders followed by a third badge on the trunk lid. Four exhaust diffusers, stacked two per side in a vertical arrangement, are integrated into the rear bumper and leave a lasting sporty impression. The IS F continues to differentiate itself from its siblings with its 19-inch forged-alloy wheels produced by BBS® that feature a distinct dark-gray finish.

Standard amenities include heated, leather-trimmed 10-way power front sport seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, a pollen filter and smog detector; power moonroof with one-touch open/close and seven open-position settings; power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; three-position memory function for front seats, steering wheel and mirrors; all power windows with automatic up/down operation with jam protection; an auto-dimming rear-view mirror with HomeLink® programmable garage door opener, SmartAccess keyless entry and push-button start, Lexus Premium Audio System with six-disc in-dash CD changer, automated rain-sensing wipers and heated auto-dimming outside mirrors with integrated puddle lamps. Options include a DVD Navigational System with backup camera, 14-speaker Mark Levinson® Surround Sound Audio System, Intuitive Park Assist, Pre-Collision System, and headlamp washers.

MSRP does not include a delivery, processing and handling fee of $765.
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Thread Information