• Dodge V10

1 1.37%
  • Ferrari V12

10 13.70%
  • Mazda rotary

12 16.44%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who does it best?

My finger was really gunning for the BMW inline 6, but I settled on the Porsche boxer 6 in the end.

It's just so all-round awesome. If I got this right, its been around for years in anything from a 956 to the 911GT1, Dakar, the 959... That's track, off-road and road.

Its been air-cooled, liquid-cooled, carburetted, fuel-injected, naturally aspirated, turbo-charged, super-charged, duplexed to create the 917's flat 12, been rear-engined, mid-engined and probably front-mid engined as well, and a whole list of other dictionary words I'm not familiar with.

It sounds great, goes great, looks great and if what I hear is true, is bullet-proof.

I voted for the Porsche Flat 6 especially thinking about the 911 GT3, but there's much more to it than that
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

I can't believe that a Honda I4 can sit here with a Ferrari V8 and Porsche flat 6. For starters it sounds crap compared to almost all the others. Then, even though some versions develop 100bhp/L there is a huge lack of low down torque (peaky) which makes these engines useless on roads. That's probably why most other manufacturers avoid going for top end power while sacrificing low end torque.

Anyway for me from the sounds stakes alone it has to be the Ferrari V8 (the one in the F355 tune) even over the V12. I have not driven a Ferrari V8 but I yearn to after hearing them. The noise is totally addictive.

From what I have driven it has to be the Porsche flat 6.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintV View Post
    I can't believe that a Honda I4 can sit here with a Ferrari V8 and Porsche flat 6. For starters it sounds crap compared to almost all the others. Then, even though some versions develop 100bhp/L there is a huge lack of low down torque (peaky) which makes these engines useless on roads. That's probably why most other manufacturers avoid going for top end power while sacrificing low end torque.

Anyway for me from the sounds stakes alone it has to be the Ferrari V8 (the one in the F355 tune) even over the V12. I have not driven a Ferrari V8 but I yearn to after hearing them. The noise is totally addictive.

From what I have driven it has to be the Porsche flat 6.
    interesting post...you sort of dismiss the Honda engine for having over 100 bhp/l, and then you select the Ferrari, which in standard F430 shape, gets 480 bhp out of 4.3 litre. Slightly contradicting I would say. Further to that, having the assistance of a turbo will make many engines with such 100+ bhp/l performance figures, completely road practical....

I would say the 2 TVR AJP6 straight-6 engines mated on a single crankshaft like the one speed 12 accommodated! But since I have no other other option in the poll I will have to go with the american muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by adperrak View Post
    I would say the 2 TVR AJP6 straight-6 engines mated on a single crankshaft like the one speed 12 accommodated! But since I have no other other option in the poll I will have to go with the american muscle.
    An enticing engine.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    interesting post...you sort of dismiss the Honda engine for having over 100 bhp/l, and then you select the Ferrari, which in standard F430 shape, gets 480 bhp out of 4.3 litre. Slightly contradicting I would say. Further to that, having the assistance of a turbo will make many engines with such 100+ bhp/l performance figures, completely road practical....
    Doesn't the Honda VTEC make something close to 120bhp/l in the S2000? It's a great achievement no doubt but I'm more concerned with the entire application and it's end result rather than a set of numbers in isolation.
    The Ferrari V8 has 100bhp/l yes, so what? It sounds a few hundred times better than the Honda 4. Like I said I have nt driven a Ferrari V8. After reading so many reviews it must be one of the best if not the best engine in the world. But from what I have driven (including many Honda 4s) it has to be the Porsche flat 6 for responsiveness, flexibility and noise.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintV View Post
    Doesn't the Honda VTEC make something close to 120bhp/l in the S2000? It's a great achievement no doubt but I'm more concerned with the entire application and it's end result rather than a set of numbers in isolation.
    The Ferrari V8 has 100bhp/l yes, so what? It sounds a few hundred times better than the Honda 4. Like I said I have nt driven a Ferrari V8. After reading so many reviews it must be one of the best if not the best engine in the world. But from what I have driven (including many Honda 4s) it has to be the Porsche flat 6 for responsiveness, flexibility and noise.
    I dont' think there is much difference in the driveability of the Honda or the Ferrari engine. Both have to be revved to get the maximum out of it, and both are relatively docile at lower revs, but with not much power. In short they are both peaky engine, but can both be comfortably driven in day-to-day traffic.

Agreed!

Thread Information