Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: She's big, blue and European - Now with added Fisetness

I ain't a big fan of Bimmers either, but that's excellent, congrats on your purchase. Enjoy it!!! Lovely motor

Nice to see her in your hands Daan. For me, dark blue has always been the color for BMW's, and the wheels are amazing IMO, so I like you ride a lot!

Congratulations on the purchase mate.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

quite possibly the ultimate driving machine.
    autozine.org

Love it. Will probably have to come over and steal it since boy racers have taken a shine over here to putting hideous chrome wheels on Beemers of that vintage and then thrashing the shit out of them. Sigh...

that's a sweet first car. hopefully your luck with it will be better than IB4R's luck with his BMW..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Its tail happy in the wet? and your the one driving it?
    Must be something wrong here
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    And I wouldn't have it any other way.

My very own 1988 E34 BMW 535i Executive with 5 speed manual.

E39 M-sport M5 wheels, Atlantisblau exterior and dark blue interior. She's a month older than I am.

Picked her up today, and despite being a bit tail happy in the wet, she's a brilliant drive.

Better shoot include Egg Nog test will follow, please excuse the piss poor pic of today.
    Damn Sauc3, I thought you were older!

Very nice car for someone of a similar age to me...and manual! Wow!

Can we have some more piccies yet? Pretty please...?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Very nice car. I actually love those wheels - they suit it perfectly.
    Good E34 BMWs are getting hard to find. They were a great car when new and are bordering on classic status now.
    Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh next time I'm in Melbourne.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I'm most envious. That is a sweet ride.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Deserves to be POTD
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

^ agreed.
    next ucp meet up will be sweet.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

nice new car
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Deserves to be POTD
    No WAY
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Wow, nice! The E34 is probably one of the best-proportioned saloons ever. Also a fantastic car to drive, you've got the best engine for it too! (M5 aside... )

Being the receiver of critical acclaim amongst her peers has been a great boost for SS535, she's been going from strength to strength after a rather haphazardous first year.

Is it practical?

Yes. Quite. The boot has swallowed entire bikes, half a canoe, 5 large game boars and two twelfths of an Airbus A330 landing gear's support structure. I'd say I could fit 1 Reginald and 2 Clutches (ref: TGWPE) in the boot alone, with another 4 spare seats in the cockpit (some will have you believe 3 & 1/2, but I believe that getting cosy allows for so much more bodies to be transported.
    This is of course if they're whole, cut into smaller pieces the space is more than abundant and I haven't had more than 6 in there at one time cleverly arranged, but I daresday around 12 dismembered could fit in. Large plastic tarpaulins are a must for this kind of cargo though.

Is it economical?

No. My 'average' (4 month or so) is 13.9l/100km. My right and left foot combination have let me down somewhat, and it appears to manage a 9-10l/100km on the highways thanks to the fantastic 'insta consumption' gauge of the '80s. The less cops the better the fuel mileage of course, although it attracts no attention whatsoever as compared to Japanese vehicles, so it's very inconspicuous.

Is it fun to drive?

Absolutely! It pulls fantastically (7.1 seconds to 100km/h which is fantastic for the weight and year of the car, not to mention accelerating away from awkward glances as the contents of your rear seat begin seeping out from under the doors. I seem to have attracted some door-sill rust this way unfortunately...), and has the tendency to surprise dick-weeds in their Holdens and Fords that think the proper hand positions for driving are 12 and hand-out-the-window. It's held it's own against SS and XR8s.
    It actually quite likes the twisty roads as well for the weight of the thing, and the 'local' (1 hour or more away) driving roads just disappear under the car. The best burial grounds are in this area so they've been traversed regularly.

Will it break down all the time?

Yes.

Is it easy to park?

It's relatively square, so in a sense yes. It's also rather large, and the rear bumper sticks out a slight bit more from the boot lid, so it makes for hazardous reverse parallel parking near motorbikes as witnessed by a horrified but eventually relieved scooter owner a mere 2 days ago. Turning circle is pretty good and it's very consistent which I've noticed can be dodgy in other cars.

What if I go to a Shopping Centre and get chased by baddies in a Corvette?

Because of my 'janitorial' work it has on a number of occasions seen the inside of various shopping centres and arcades. It performs relatively well due to a somewhat generous turning circle and intuitive controls, but has problems when it comes to sharp turns on slippery tiles like the ones found within Myer department stores, where the power and RWD mix make for a frantic environment. It handles beautifully on the lush carpeting of movie cinema foyers, where the Corvette normally just tears up the carpet.

Is it green?

Only after an excursion in large paddocks for undisclosed reasons. And after a trip to the green paint factory to disguise the identity.

Can I afford it?

Yes! At first. Then no! A bit later on. When the repair bills hit you. Several times over.

What If I'm asked to take part in a beach assault with the Royal Marines?

This would be the car to take the troops in on and the casualties back in little little pieces. It handles altercations with Poles relatively well, so attacking the Polish would be ideal.

Thread Information