Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Classic Australian Muscle Cars Specs & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by mudder View Post
    The attached image (ripped from a local site) shows a car that will probably fetch ZAR 30 000. Aus $ 180 000 (if I have my conversion tables correct).
    Errr, no.

30,000.00 ZAR = 5,088.16 AUD

180,000.00 AUD = 1,067,758.19 ZAR

1 ZAR = 0.169605 AUD
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Errr, no.

30,000.00 ZAR = 5,088.16 AUD

180,000.00 AUD = 1,067,758.19 ZAR

1 ZAR = 0.169605 AUD
    Ah ! Thanks for the correction there...

Bathurst Pics

Hi My Name is Pete

First time posting , I am a Member of various Falcon GT Clubs around Australia as well as being on numerous GT Forums , I am a collector of Aussie Muscle cars between 67 -74 inparticular the venerable Ford Falcon GT .

As I have several different models I am always looking for pics of original GT's either from when first purchased ,Owners proud pics of their cars in the late 60's early 70's as these provide a wealth of detail especialy in the engine departmant of what was where , as many of you know when entering a concourse comp for you car the carrect parts & placement make all the differance between a well presented car to a Fastidously restored car .

Hopefully I can post pics of my GT's , Here are 2 of the cars that I am currently in the process off restoring An 1968 XT GT ex-race car sprints & rallys mainly , & a Early 74 XB GT with Rare option codes if any one has info or pics of these models as well as other GT's before the 70's & 80's phase of modifing & altering from original specs I would love to see some pics also early race shots of GT's racing around the country at various tracks other than the famous NSW Bathurst Track.
    Best regards to all
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Moffat raced the phase three at winton,mallala etc which are very similar to new zealand racetracks,so you cant use the argument of local tracks,the reason the nz chargers won was they were far better sorted out than the equivilent aust chargers,the chargers well and truley out handled the Phase 3 its just that it had a shit load more grunt up the mountain and down conrod.The phase 3 was built for Bathurst!
    Yes this is correct but the reason the falcon got beat 3 times {so every knows} is Moffat was made to use his factory suspension IE the suspension the car left the factory with.This I believe was bilsteen {SPL} not only was Moffat beaten he was out Qualified and never even made a race of it J Richards also drove the car if my info is correct.So dissapointed was Moffat with the handling of falcon he asked for a grudge match with the bilsteen suspension.This was after racing had finished and was accomadated the falcon was reportedly 2 seconds a lap faster and I believe it did win.

this could be dodgy.cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Charger R View Post
    this could be dodgy.cheers
    What you posted is historically accurate, apparently

IIRC Moffat was not aware of New Zealands much stricter 'Showroom Stock' regulations (as opposed to Australia's then 'Improved Production' formula) until he arrived in the country! This obliged a hasty swap back to factory spec and settings for the GT-HO, which hampered the car as it had been carefully optimised for Oz-spec racing

But afterwards the Kiwis kindly allowed Moffat to return the Falcon to its original IP format and race it, and in this subsequent 'demonstration' race he comprehensively blew everybody else into the weeds

I guess you could argue that this last race was an unfair competition. But then again the massive negative camber seen on NZ Chargers and permitted under their local interpretation of 'showroom stock' would afaik never have been allowed in Australia's previous 'Series Production' regs, eg Bathurst 1971

I think thats about the essence of it. I've got a magazine article detailing the above, including Moffat interview .. somewhere

Thread Information