Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monaro could continue

Monaro could continue

http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor...2570060008263D

Monaro not dead - yet! Select a

Rip-snorter: VZ Monaro will not be discontinued when VE Commodore hits showrooms early next year.

Monaro will continue on sale alongside next-gen VE Commodore - for the time being

By JOHN MELLOR 19 May 2005

advertisement NEWS that General Motors had postponed the Zeta rear-drive architecture has given heart to Monaro aficionados that a replacement for the current VZ-based coupe might be built on the forthcoming VE series Commodore platform.

The thinking was that under the Zeta program, Pontiac was going to design its own version of the Monaro-based GTO and build it in the United States.

Holden could then import the car to Australia as a Monaro under the free-trade agreement with the US.

But the cloud over the Zeta program has given new heart for those who would like to see the Monaro based on the VE Commodore.

That’s the scuttlebutt.

In an exclusive interview with GoAuto, Holden chairman and managing director, Denny Mooney, said discussion about the next Pontiac GTO being built in the US was just speculation.

"People were jumping the gun on that. We had not made those decisions," Mr Mooney said.

So what is going on?

Monaro has a future, but not necessarily on the VE Commodore platform.

Holden officials are saying that the Monaro – and the Pontiac GTO – built on a VZ Commodore platform will continue.

Holden executive director of engineering, Tony Hyde, said that Monaro had a finite life but the current shell would continue for Pontiac for as long as Pontiac could justify a business case for it.

He said Monaro would continue to be made after the VE architecture was launched as a sedan and wagon next year because it took a time-line of about six years to engineer and introduce all the variants on the Commodore architecture.

When the VT was launched in 1997, it was a sedan and a wagon. In 1999, the long-wheelbase models were added, followed by the Ute in 2000, the Monaro in 2001 and later the crew-cab, chassis-cab and Adventra AWD.

This means that Holden will make both the VE Commodore wagon and sedan alongside the remaining VZ models.

"We have no choice but to do this on a rolling process. Whatever models still make business sense at that time will be included in the rolling process," Mr Hyde said.

So if you want Holden to build Monaros on the VE platform, you’d better keep buying them.
    The line about it taking 6 years to get all models online is complete BS. It may have taken 6 years to do it, but only cause thats how Holden done it. They couldve just as easily done it at 97 with the VT or 1999-2000 with the ute and LWB's, had they thought the market needed the product.
    I am the Stig

Heres America happening...I suppose this is what happend with the Crown Vic 30 or so years ago...

I think the CV is a different story though, the police, taxi and fleet markets in the US took a huge interest in it so Ford kept it going for as long as there was a business case. Now they can sell them for as cheap as chips.

Keeping the Monaro going on the old platform though will just reinforce how much more enhanced the VE is compared to the VT-VZ chassis, so i dunno how long Holden will be able to keep up the Monaros sales
    I am the Stig

Yeah it seems kind of stupid. Would it be too exspensive to make some subtle changes to the Monaro body at put it over VE Mechanicals?

Depends what you mean by VE mechanicals i suppose. Theres suspected new drivetrains etc like the 5 speed auto to become standard and a 6 speed auto to become available, so i suppose provided they still fit in the VZ's transmission tunnel, i dont see why not. If they kept the VZ's mechanicals going, they'd lose even more sales to the likes of the SS, Calais and Clubsport.

Some relief for Holden i suppose will be Ford will still be soldiering on with the BA for a few years until their new car is ready towards 2007-2008, so theres at least 1 year for Holden to try gather sales with supposedly a superior chassis.
    I am the Stig

Sounds like my friend mooney is up to his old tricks... Whos on first whats on second i dont know whos on third.
    Talk about spinning some shit, If he and GM didnt say that the Monaro would be built in the US off our zeta then i'll go HE!. Cause thats a bloody lie. All i see from him is arse licking and it's the wrong arse his licking, His job is here and he should do it here and better or i would fire his arse.
    But some say the VZ Monaro can sit with the VE much like the VN-VS utes did with the VS-VT Sedans.
    And i think it might be allright to hang on to that old style of round shape that made the VT good looking. Can they stick the VE Rear under the Monaro with 5 speed and Gen4. And give it a little more SSX style It will need a new suspension and i like the idea of something smaller and really differnt in looks to the sedans. Maybe the Monaro could have a larger wheelbase but be about the same in dimensions. Maybe some real flared guards for AWD. But one thing is for sure it's got to have a refresh in some way under or above
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Some people are thinking the VE's will come with the LS4, rather than the LS2 or LS1 which of course is essentially the LS2, but only 5.3L. HSV still want exclusitivity of the LS2 and the 6L nameplate, and with the LS1 being wound out, Holden are being left in a similar situation to what Ford were in with the last of the 302's.

Most people seem under the impression the VE will have the VZ still, so im sure that if they have to have ~4 years of VZ based models still going against the VE's, they'll manage. Look back at the V car and it was 2002 when the VY came out, and the 5 years of previous production didnt stray too far from the origina 1997 VT theme. But yeah, i suppose theres no point doing that if it cant stay competitive, which means the mechanicals need to keep up.
    I am the Stig

I think alot of people would have it going on like it is now with external upgrades. As long as they get 285kw new 6 speed and auto with a new rear and suspension set up

Wonder if holden can dig into there bag of tricks maybe get some LS2 parts for the LS1 and give it 275kw.

well i dont think the LS1 and LS2 are that compatible really, like sure the LS1 you could fit LS6 parts and Holden started fitting LS6 intakes i think it was, i dont think its that easy on the LS1 without like swapping heads etc.
    I am the Stig

Maybe they need to find out what HSV did when they had 260kw on the LS1. HSV has been good at just playing around and getting more power without doing a LS1 callway. That 285 was allright for a Computer tunned engine. Maybe thats what holden needs to give HSV VE Series 1 with LS2. Then maybe the rest Calais Berlina statesman could go LS4 245kw??

Well the 260kw engine had a different cam and exhaust tune, the 285kw motor had the extractors, bigger throttle body and CAI remember. They really picked up on some aftermarket ideas with their tune, which isnt always a bad thing as its harder to find bolt on gains through the engine, your pretty restricted to say diff gears and an edit.
    I am the Stig

The original Monaro only saw light of day because a group of Holden designers did it mainly in their spare time as a hobby. Development costs were therfore very low. It was quite a coup (e)! The fact that it has gone on to be the success it has as a credit to Holden and the team who designed it. The problem now is that a new Monaro on the new chassis will have to be a two door coupe of whatever the new Commodore design is. It will attract full development costs and have a much more difficult business case to defend. Perhaps they could ask Simcoe to come back and spend a few nights around beer and pizzas again!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Depends what you mean by VE mechanicals i suppose. Theres suspected new drivetrains etc like the 5 speed auto to become standard and a 6 speed auto to become available, so i suppose provided they still fit in the VZ's transmission tunnel, i dont see why not. If they kept the VZ's mechanicals going, they'd lose even more sales to the likes of the SS, Calais and Clubsport.

Some relief for Holden i suppose will be Ford will still be soldiering on with the BA for a few years until their new car is ready towards 2007-2008, so theres at least 1 year for Holden to try gather sales with supposedly a superior chassis.
    I'm happy for Ford to put in a extra year or so if its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    The original Monaro only saw light of day because a group of Holden designers did it mainly in their spare time as a hobby. Development costs were therfore very low. It was quite a coup (e)! The fact that it has gone on to be the success it has as a credit to Holden and the team who designed it. The problem now is that a new Monaro on the new chassis will have to be a two door coupe of whatever the new Commodore design is. It will attract full development costs and have a much more difficult business case to defend. Perhaps they could ask Simcoe to come back and spend a few nights around beer and pizzas again!
    As long as the final product isnt a combination of the 2
    I am the Stig

Some are saying the Torana front would look good with a newish rear,
    I wonder what happend to that rear that holden first showed when the VZ Monaro was first seen, the rear was slighty differnt around the boot. I'll look around for the pics that could be VZII

Thread Information