Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VW twincharging

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    iwould do it, but its like 6 grand, youhave to do it in COlorado or PA, and it is certain to tear up the rest of your drive line
    Better sell the Mini and buy a used 911 then... That's what I'd do at least...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

nah, i aim to get the wife a new car soon... wait a few years, then get myself a caterham.

i hate porsches anyway
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

nah, i aim to get the wife a new car soon... wait a few years, then get myself a caterham.

i hate porsches anyway
    Pass the Mini to the wife... and then get yourself a Caterham CSR 260...
    Visca Catalunya!

it'll be a few before i can afford the 70k to buy one though... thats just shy of 2 years income for me... plus we are gonna be having kids in the next few years, and the mini is les than ideal for that.

it'll be a few before i can afford the 70k to buy one though... thats just shy of 2 years income for me... plus we are gonna be having kids in the next few years, and the mini is les than ideal for that.
    Aps I see. Do you plan on buying a people carrier or something?
    Visca Catalunya!

my wife loves nissan.. she drives a frontier now. she is into the maxima, but she has been talking a lot lately about the wrx stationwagon, or the legacy outback. although i think i woudl prefer the legacy gt to the outback. but it will be her car. i just want a car that i wouldnt mind driving as well.

my wife loves nissan.. she drives a frontier now. she is into the maxima, but she has been talking a lot lately about the wrx stationwagon, or the legacy outback. although i think i woudl prefer the legacy gt to the outback. but it will be her car. i just want a car that i wouldnt mind driving as well.
    Out of those I'd say a Legacy 3.0 Spec-B estate. And now we should go back on topic...
    Visca Catalunya!

right... so does anybody else know of other twincharging systems?

Lotus had an F1 car using both super- and turbo-chargers, but I don't know if they raced it before forced induction was banned. Can't think of any others off-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BjD
    Lotus had an F1 car using both super- and turbo-chargers, but I don't know if they raced it before forced induction was banned. Can't think of any others off-hand.
    Lancia had it in a road car much before Volkswagen. The Lancia Delta S4 Stradale.
    Visca Catalunya!

umm, no. they hook the stock Supercharger into the aftermarket Turbocharger, then into the intake manifold... therefore: Twincharge
    not the same kind of twin charging, since that is neither sequential (like the vw) nor parrellel (like most twin turbo V engines)

it's one forced induction device feeding into another one, you cant turn one off and switch to the other, iirc this setup makes sense for turbo's but if its combining a belt fed supercharger with a t/c then the s/c might become a bottleneck for performance

this is all speculation however and i'm pretty sure they can get it to work, i just dont see any "extra" performance gained by using this method

thanks for all the posts.

could you elaborate on that? I am sure turbocharging was only allowed during the 3-litre period of F1, from 1966-1988, but I have no recollection of any such engine. Lotus always used engines made by others... .Lotus used the Renault turbo engine which was clearly a twin turbo, and not a combi of the SC and exhaust turbo.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    could you elaborate on that? I am sure turbocharging was only allowed during the 3-litre period of F1, from 1966-1988, but I have no recollection of any such engine. Lotus always used engines made by others... .Lotus used the Renault turbo engine which was clearly a twin turbo, and not a combi of the SC and exhaust turbo.
    Yeh. In the first year of uni we had a series of lectures from guys in the industry, one of them had a couple of slides on the twincharging system. I thought it was Lotus who presented it, but if as you say Renault made the engine it may have been in thier presentation (it was a few years ago ).

From memory, it used a supercharger feeding two turbos, one for each bank. I don't know if there was valves or such like to switch between the two as in the VW system. I know it didn't race much, if at all, due to a change in the rules.

Thinking more about it, did they ever allow superchargers in F1? Maybe the system was intended for another racing series... Shame they didn't let us have a copy of the slides, then I may make more sense

Yeh. In the first year of uni we had a series of lectures from guys in the industry, one of them had a couple of slides on the twincharging system. I thought it was Lotus who presented it, but if as you say Renault made the engine it may have been in thier presentation (it was a few years ago ).

From memory, it used a supercharger feeding two turbos, one for each bank. I don't know if there was valves or such like to switch between the two as in the VW system. I know it didn't race much, if at all, due to a change in the rules.

Thinking more about it, did they ever allow superchargers in F1? Maybe the system was intended for another racing series... Shame they didn't let us have a copy of the slides, then I may make more sense
    the renaukt engine was a V6 with a turbo for each cylinder bank. I think superchargers were allowed, but as they are less effective than turbo chargers were not applied.
    The Lancia S4 used as supercharger for the low revs until the exhaust pressure was large enough to apply the turbo charger. I never heard of any F1 engine that did the same.

There are many twin turbo engines, but mostly because of the V-layout of the engine. Notable exceptions are now the BMW I-6 535d engine and the 530 petrol engine. Also PSA has now introduced a twin turbo I-4 for the Peugeot 407 and 607 as well as the Citroen C5 and C6.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information