Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classic Australian Muscle Cars Specs & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    You could be right re weight. But as I said - all figures are from Wheels Magazine. Take it up with them....
    Regardless of exactly how heavy it was, the performance figures are still damn impressive, even by todays standards.
    Well the 4 point alloy rool cage the competition hoeys would of added a mild bit of weight but the top lodaer would of shed some more kilos off the car rather then the FMX my fathers XW GT has andalso they hoeys didnt comewith radiosand a few other thing to keep the weight down a mild bit....
    Mostamerican used to think the road warriors car (as the first movie was called in america) was a torino...but they recently found out it was an aussie falcon and we have had alot of them leave our shores because of this....even the english are getting into it getting several falcon from our country...
    The body kit was the same as the concorde falcon pannel van concept in the mid 70s...kits can still be bought brand new you can find them through the websites that motorsport posted....
    The charger while fast was not as fast as the GTHO it was quicker in a straight line and also was slightly more agile but its akylies(spelling?) heel was not the 3 speed gearbox this was proven in 71 with the e49 it was the breaks they didnt fail but they faired much worse then the breaks in the big ford or the over breaked torana....

oh btw if you want some more info on mad max try www.madmaxcars.com.au i think thats the link this is off the top of my head...

its achilles, and year, all of the cars racing from that era wouldve been able to shave a fair few seconds from their lap times with a better set of stoppers. theres a company that is selling front suspension and brake kits for old mustangs and falcons up to the XF and they claim that particular kits will make the car outhandle things like late model HSV's. worth a look i dare say
    I am the Stig

Mostamerican used to think the road warriors car (as the first movie was called in america) was a torino...
    Not quite correct there. The first movie was indeed called Mad Max in the U.S. The second movie was called The Road Warrior, then the third one was called Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

the Night rider's stolen cop car (Mad max)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    Not quite correct there. The first movie was indeed called Mad Max in the U.S. The second movie was called The Road Warrior, then the third one was called Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    allrighty then i lernt something here...the funny thing is the american movies everyones voices where redone other then the singers in the first movies and it is the highest grosing film on the lowest budget! also for australians Peter Brocks (raceing ledgend) brother done alot of the stunt driveing in the movie...

re 1972 R/T E38 R/T E49

the E49 is still the fastest 2 door production 6cyl vehicle produce with standing quarters as stated by numerous articles of the day as 14.4 sec. and some as low as 13.8 sec. Its best at bathurst was a 3rd. placing although its sucess at bathurst was not at its potential in N.Z. on the other hand it won the equivelent to bathurst 7 yrs in a row driven by todd brothers and allan moffart took his bathurst winning phase 111 to try and restore fords as no 1
    could not catch the kiwi chargers and was quoted as saying the todd brothers charger as the fastest chargers in the world
    THE BEST 6CYL. IN THE WORLD IS AUSSIE MADE

Quote Originally Posted by i2s2bme

some BMW fans may find that a little hard to grasp. since the introduction of the XR6T, the E49's Australia's best title has gone from fastest 6 cylinder, to fastest naturally aspirated 6 cylinder and now youve dubbed it fastest 2 door 6 cylinder.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by i2s2bme
    the E49 is still the fastest 2 door production 6cyl vehicle produce with standing quarters as stated by numerous articles of the day as 14.4 sec. and some as low as 13.8 sec. Its best at bathurst was a 3rd. placing although its sucess at bathurst was not at its potential in N.Z. on the other hand it won the equivelent to bathurst 7 yrs in a row driven by todd brothers and allan moffart took his bathurst winning phase 111 to try and restore fords as no 1
    could not catch the kiwi chargers and was quoted as saying the todd brothers charger as the fastest chargers in the world
    Fastest accelerating 6 cylender in the worl into the turbocharge prsche came out....
    Moffat...not moffart....not many things shit me but seemingly mispelling a persons name on purpose does.....
    Also you forgot to mention that he was raceing at your home tracks not his own which his cars where setup for....
    But that said the chergers where good cars and had a good price tag to match (at the time)

what about the lotus?

you haven't mentioned the the lotus cortina/ cortina gt 500.
    these cars beat many of the "muscle cars" of that era
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hachi Roku Owner.

While the Cortina GT and Cortina Lotus are great cars and won the Armstrong 500 at Phillip Island in 1963 and Bathurst 500 in 1964 and 65, I left them out on purpose. They are BRITISH cars, not Australian cars. This thread was about Australian muscle cars.
    But, both the GT and the Lotus were great little cars. Jim Clark drove one on numerous occasions in Europe (particularly in the BTCC) in the mid 60s.
    If you want to start a thread on British performance/muscle cars, then the Cortina GT/Lotus would be one of the greats.

whilst the cortina's outclassed the BMC Mini's, and the Mini's outclassed the XK Falcons, the XR GT was a better ca than the Cortina's. it would be a great car, but t would also be one of the slowest and possible least impressive for those unknown to the car
    I am the Stig

the fords lost their name for performance in australia in the late 80's and the early 90's. now theyre back with the fpv which equals total performance.

I dont know if i would say it exactly like that, but the 2 biggest mistakes Ford has made are pulling support out of local racing in 1973 and dropping the V8 in 1982. They did go back on these decisions by reintroducing the V8 in 1992 and puttingg back their support for V8 Supercars in 1998.
    I am the Stig

A slight modification to your post fpv they still sold falcons with v8s untill 84 they stopped production in mid 83 if i rember correctly i had the full run down in the first issue of street machine my father owns...

ive seen it heaps of times that they stopped making them for the Falcon in 82, so perhaps there was enough stockpile left to last till 84 or 84 etc. i know though theres a 72-82 ford v8 club and i can only imagine those years are intended so that its the locally made V8's in the club
    I am the Stig

Thread Information