Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin (not so) suprising new car

I don't know, it just looks like the child of a V8 Vantage and a DBS with ugly rims and a spoiler...AM can come up with better stuff than this.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    The DB9 is a bit nose heavy. The Vantage is perfectly balanced. If you drop the thing that makes the DB9 nose heavy in a car that's already perfectly balanced, well it doesn't take Gordon Murrey to tell you what's going to happen.
    You got to drive a DB9 to compare it too as well?!

They certainly treated you well.

Did you take any pictures of this exclusive world-first group test of the Vantage RS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If that's the case then it's quite different to this.
    Quite different; this one is modern so needs to be slated as repetitive, unimaginative tat, the other old, so has to be revered as a pinnacle of engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Quite different; this one is modern so needs to be slated as repetitive, unimaginative tat, the other old, so has to be revered as a pinnacle of engineering.
    Yes, whatever you say.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You got to drive a DB9 to compare it too as well?!

They certainly treated you well.

Did you take any pictures of this exclusive world-first group test of the Vantage RS?

I wasn't at the launch of the Vantage RS. UCP is the first I've heard of it. I drove the DB9 about a year ago and the V8 about nine months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I wasn't at the launch of the Vantage RS. UCP is the first I've heard of it. I drove the DB9 about a year ago and the V8 about nine months ago.
    And for henk;

Don't you think it is a bit premature and judgemental to be complaining that the balance of the car is "ruined" solely on the basis that it has a bigger engine, regardless of what cars you have driven before?

Was the M3 "ruined" by having a V8 installed rather than the 4cyl in the 31Ci? Would you be able to tell how the M3 drives from having driven a 318Ci?

I apologise for making this comment in a clumsy, idiotic way; I dig myself into these holes.

And for Ferrer -

The DB2 was a development of the DB1, the DB mk III a development of the DB2, the DB5 a development of the DB4, the DB6 a development of the DB5, the V8 a development of the DBS, the V8 Vantage a development of the Virage, the DB7 V12 a development of the 6cyl, the DBS and Rapide are developments of the DB9 and now the RS is a development of the Vantage.

Why is the RS the only one that deserves snide comments about photocopiers, and the implication that all Aston Martin do is swap engines about when that is basically all the company has done for the last 80 years?

That the DB5 was a development bed for the V8 Marek engine and the RS is a concept does not negate the many similarities between the one-off, engine-swap specials - Aston could have chosen to make the DB5 V8 a "concept", create new bodywork, fancy wheels and paint it blue, but they chose not too for practical reasons, just as the RS is not a radical, all-new car for other, equally valid and equally practical reasons.

And for henk;

Don't you think it is a bit premature and judgemental to be complaining that the balance of the car is "ruined" solely on the basis that it has a bigger engine, regardless of what cars you have driven before?

Was the M3 "ruined" by having a V8 installed rather than the 4cyl in the 31Ci? Would you be able to tell how the M3 drives from having driven a 318Ci?
    The M3 was ruined cause it got big to the point that a V8 doesn't unsettle the car's balance. But for me, it ruined the M3 to the point that it is not an M3 anymore. The new M3 replicates the numbers of the E39 M5: 400bhp for 1800kgs. That's not evolution, from my point of view.

Here we are dealing with the fact that it is a V12. But would it be the exact same engine from the DB9?
    I like the idea of a V12 cause it's noble kind of engine. But to suit the V8 properly, it needs to be light and high-revving.
    Last edited by McReis; 12-13-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

That the DB5 was a development bed for the V8 Marek engine and the RS is a concept does not negate the many similarities between the one-off, engine-swap specials - Aston could have chosen to make the DB5 V8 a "concept", create new bodywork, fancy wheels and paint it blue, but they chose not too for practical reasons, just as the RS is not a radical, all-new car for other, equally valid and equally practical reasons.
    I personally think it does. Especially when there are rumours that this might into production (as is).

One more thing. The first post was made with irony and humour in mind. I'm sorry if you didn't get it.
    Visca Catalunya!

And for henk;
    and for Coventry: please reply to a private message with a private message.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm sorry if you didn't get it.
    I'm sorry in general.

I can do no right by anyone, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    The M3 was ruined
    Well, that is not really what I was trying to get at.

Whilst I admit that I have not driven any Aston Martins, and I am open to the notion that putting the V12 in the Vantage may upset the balance of the car, I do not think that the mere fact that a new engine is used is sufficient evidence to believe it will be true.

I was trying to use the BMW as an analogy - many companies put bigger, "high-performance" engines in their different models, and they always make other changes to the car to make sure the handling is a suitable match to the "high performance" image.

I don't see why Aston Martin would be any different - if they are putting a V12 in the car, then to me it is logical that they must be making suitable adjustments to ensure the rest of the car lives up to the "RS" moniker. I don't believe they would deliberately set out to "ruin" any of their cars.

Although, some of the elements of the styling of both this and the DBS seem perfectly suited to proving that belief wrong.

I'm sorry in general.

I can do no right by anyone, it seems.
    Don't worry your knowledge and point of view is appreciated.

It's just that sometimes you come across as a little arrogant without noticing it probably. No offense taken I hope.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's just that sometimes you come across as a little arrogant
    Only a little?

I must try harder!

The new M3 replicates the numbers of the E39 M5: 400bhp for 1800kgs.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCP Page on the E92 M3
    Weight 1655 kilo / 3648.7 lbs

And I've yet to read a review that has had a negative thing to say about the way the new M3 drives.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post

And I've yet to read a review that has had a negative thing to say about the way the new M3 drives.
    That is not the point. I don't think the car is bad. Actually Ibelieve it's near perfection. It's just not what an M3 should be anymore, cause it has gained a weight, a size and an engine that are way over what it should have to be a nice agile car.
    I keep my hopes on the series 1.

You are right about the car weight. Yet, 1655 is a lot.

I also agree that AM would not just dump a V12 on the Vantage and let it understeer it's way around corners. But Aston has made some foolish options in the past and, some say, with the DBS too. Lets hope this one works.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I just don't get the point of dropping a V12 onto a Vantage. They've got the DB9, and since it will be similary priced it will be a loser as well. Aston Martin is just looking for more sales. Will it be having the same engine as the DB9 or will it be tweaked because that will make a difference. If it isn't there's no point buying this V12 Vantage. I mean, the DB9 has around 450hp and that's pretty good. I'd say the V8 has around 350 and I'd say that's enough. But as you guys said it would be good as a lighter car. Maybe this is a pointer that they're dropping the V8 Vantage?
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

That is not the point. I don't think the car is bad. Actually Ibelieve it's near perfection. It's just not what an M3 should be anymore, cause it has gained a weight, a size and an engine that are way over what it should have to be a nice agile car.
    I keep my hopes on the series 1.

You are right about the car weight. Yet, 1655 is a lot.

I also agree that AM would not just dump a V12 on the Vantage and let it understeer it's way around corners. But Aston has made some foolish options in the past and, some say, with the DBS too. Lets hope this one works.
    It'll probably be heavy and understeer, but why judge it before it's even out yet?

No one's even reviewed it, iirc.

Thread Information