Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2008 ALMS Season

It is reported on Autosport that Gil De Ferran is running his own team this year with a Acura in ALMS, he will be driving as well....

He is not expected to enter until Long Beach in April though....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

American Le Mans Series :: World Class

Peugeot did a 1:42.8...

for reference, 2007 pole was a 1:44.XX
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Curiously no RSR's are testing.
    I haven't seen any 08 RSRs yet. Maybe Porsche isn't done with the redesign?
    Last edited by broken; 01-30-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    PSN: onikron

Apparently no team has took delivery yet.

BMW, M3 RETURNING TO SERIES WITH RAHAL LETTERMAN
    BMW announced at the Chicago Auto Show Wednesday its plan to return to the American Le Mans Series with its next-generation M3 coupe starting late 2008. For this venture, Rahal Letterman Racing will campaign the cars on behalf of BMW Motorsport.

"This is another monumental day for the American Le Mans Series - we have had a phenomenal start to '08 and this big news from BMW adds to our momentum," said Series President and CEO Scott Atherton. "BMW represents one of the cornerstones on which the American Le Mans Series was built and has maintained a loyal following of dedicated owners and fans since that time. We are thrilled to embrace this effort from BMW with Rahal Letterman Racing."

The 2009 season will see Rahal Letterman campaign two M3s for a full-season championship run.

As a result, BMW will compete in a GT2 field that includes efforts from defending class champion Ferrari as well as Aston Martin, Dodge, Ford, Panoz and Porsche. The Series boasts more manufacturers in the single GT2 class than many other motorsports series do in their entire grid.

Scott Atherton: "BMW represents one of the cornerstones on which the American Le Mans Series was built."
    "The American Le Mans Series prides itself on being the ultimate R&D platform for manufacturers from all over the globe," Atherton said. "And now BMW - 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' - joins the most extensive list of world-class manufacturers to recognize the opportunity the Series offers to transfer the technology present on their race cars directly to showrooms and dealerships around the world. I have no doubt that BMW will capitalize on its investment in the American Le Mans Series and see the same rewards our other competing manufacturers have realized."

The return of BMW appropriately coincides with the American Le Mans Series' 10th season of world-class sports car racing. BMW won the first race in the history of the American Le Mans Series as JJ Lehto, Tom Kristensen and Jorg Muller drove a BMW V12 LMR to victory in the 1999 Twelve Hours of Sebring. That same year, BMW became the first team from the American Le Mans Series to win the overall championship at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In all, BMW teams have won 15 times in the series - nine in GT2 and six in LMP1.

"Not only has the American Le Mans Series' fan base increased substantially over the years, but also has BMW's following among its owners and club members," Atherton said. "BMW has some of the most passionate and outspoken fans - trust me, I hear them often... - and I believe we can speak for these fans in saying we are overjoyed that they will be returning to the Series. We share the passion and appreciation they have for world-class sports car racing and competition, and we can't wait to see the new BMW M3 back on the race track."

Bobby Rahal and Rahal Letterman Racing will campaign the new BMW M3 in the American Le Mans Series.
    Wednesday's announcement is the latest in what has been a history-making offseason. In January, the Series revealed a partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Energy and SAE International as it was recognized as the world's first motorsports body to meet the criteria for green racing being developed by these groups. The Series also laid the groundwork for the Green Challenge, a competition that will encourage manufacturers to introduce and develop their "green" technologies. It will debut at Petit Le Mans.

In a related development, the Series also announced in conjunction with the Ethanol Promotion and Information Council (EPIC) that KL Process Design Group will supply cellulosic E85 for 2008. Corvette Racing in GT1 and Drayson Barwell Motorsport in GT2 will campaign the full season on E85.

The Series also will see new entries from Acura, Aston Martin, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford and Porsche for 2008.

The 2008 season opens with the 56th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida on Saturday, March 15. The race will start at 10 a.m. ET and will be broadcast live by SPEED, which will begin its coverage at 9:30 a.m. MotorsTV, Fox Latin America, 7TV in Russia and Greenlight Television will provide international coverage as well. American Le Mans Radio and IMSA's Live Timing & Scoring will be available at americanlemans.com.
    American Le Mans Series :: World Class
    BMW is back in GT2. The new car looks really nice, can anyone get a better pic?
    GT2 is going to be awesome.
    I LIKE CARS

Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 02-06-2008 at 05:04 PM.

OMG the Sebring race clashes with F1 Melbourne... I hope I get to see the race on TV... if they show it here in Oz.

BTW the M3 looks like a normal tuned car with a rollcage and stickers. When the REAL livery comes out I would most likely be awed (please, Rahal that isn't the livery)
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Rahal was running a white RSR last season....lol

I hope their "late" 08 schedule includes Mosport, so I can see this thing....the last M3 GTR was a flame spitting monster...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

New C6.R livery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reminds me of the C5 for no tangible reason...

wooo...black wheels...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information