Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinting windows

Tinting windows

I have seen it done on a Benz. The windows where sprayed with some kind of solution (could of been water for all I know) and than the film was applied with the windows rolled all the way up and some kind of tool was used to push the film up in any edges. I don't really remember if they rolled the windows down but I think they did.
    I didn't like the way it was done since it was a Benz. It was kind of cruel and the guy was spraying the solution all over the car doors.

Anyone ever tinted windows before? I'm thinking about tinting the windows on my car. I can get that done for $350 but that's too much so I want to tint them myself. I have seen the do it yourself tints. They got a lot of air pockets hahaha

i know a quy that does it.....i couldnt tell you how though. all i can do is advize you that if you ever have tinted windows DO NOT USE WINDOW CLEANER ON THEM.

it will turn them from black to purple
    pondering things

They use water with a litle bit of soap in to prevent the film to stick to the glas emidiately.. then you can adjust it perfect, and use a squisee to guide all the water away from under the film.. also a advantage with water apliance is that you reduce the chance of getting air bubbles..
    if you want the best result of tinting.. take the doors apart and take out the glass.. much easier to aplay..

Quote Originally Posted by targa

it will turn them from black to purple
    that only happens when you buy really cheap tint.....ive had my tint for a year now and washed it many times...and its fine

although...factory dark tint(if they offer it for your car) is much better, because it will never scratch or bubble
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

just dont use window cleaner than contains AMMONIA

Don't use window cleaner anyway. All you need is a damp cloth and a chamois or something to dry them with and you'll never need window cleaner again, regardless of whether or not you have tint anyway.

I had it done on my car, actually my parents did it for my birthday. Just ask the questions.

How is it done with a factory tint? Anybody know? I assume they tint the windows before they go in the doors.
    Do they use special tools? If so what tools?

Here's a kit
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance
    Last edited by QBridge; 08-07-2005 at 09:24 PM.

'real' tinted windows are made by making the glass different.

IMHO any 'add-on' tint it cheap.
    ( The exceptions I'm OK with is if the owern has imported a car from the climes of say Sctoaldn to say Colorado ! Tint is useful there - and pretty pointless here . Doesnt' stop the ricers adding these "cheap" films )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Is there a place to buy factory tinted windows?

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    Is there a place to buy factory tinted windows?
    factory ?

Where are you located ???

please PLEASE put location in your profile if you want answers to questions like that - a message to ALL, not just you QBridge
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm in Atlanta GA in the US.
    How much would it cost to buy 1 factory tinted window?

I'm in Atlanta GA in the US.
    How much would it cost to buy 1 factory tinted window?
    Too many dependancies. Think about it -- Ford Focus will be a couple of hundred bucks, a merc will be more. A Ferrari will be extortion !

Why not just call your local dealer, ask for the parts department and get a price for your car.

I have seen it done on a Benz. The windows where sprayed with some kind of solution (could of been water for all I know) and than the film was applied with the windows rolled all the way up and some kind of tool was used to push the film up in any edges. I don't really remember if they rolled the windows down but I think they did.
    I didn't like the way it was done since it was a Benz. It was kind of cruel and the guy was spraying the solution all over the car doors.

Anyone ever tinted windows before? I'm thinking about tinting the windows on my car. I can get that done for $350 but that's too much so I want to tint them myself. I have seen the do it yourself tints. They got a lot of air pockets hahaha
    I got my tint done for $100
    I have never heard of tint that costs more then $260
    unless it was something like V-kool which costs i think about $400

As a regular pedestrian and cyclist I regularly come across situation where I have priority over a car, but given the "underlying" position that you are in you like to make sure that the driver of the car will yield. You need eye-contact for that or at least you would like to see any gestures. Unfortunately rather often these days that is not possible because of darkened door windows or sometimes even windshields. If you need to protect your eyes use sunglasses and don't pretend that you are a member of the mob.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information