Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Problem

This thread is serving as a great example of how childish we can get, sometimes. Someone came here searching for practical help and after 30 posts there are only 3 or 4 trying to help.
    There are better threads to play the comedian.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I have no problems with reverse but I have the exact same problem with first gear...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...t=31290&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    A golden rule for good gearbox-treatment is to never put it in 1st before you stand still. 0 km/h. On syncor-mesh gearboxes.
    That's impossible. For example; I'm driving up a hill and wish to parallel-park on the right, and I want to drive straight in instead of reversing because of traffic. I have to go down to 1st because uphill, you can't go that slowly and use clutch control effectively enough in 2nd.

I don't accept that you're not supposed to downchange into 1st if the car's not stationary...it works perfectly fine in most cars. One thing I'm noticing though is that everyone who's mentioned these problems on UCP recently drives a supermini.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I have that problem but in second, downshifting mostly, only when the speed is really slow can i downshift to second, i'm guessing syncro rings on that one, the other one is the first gear, i only engage it stationary but it doesn't go, a lot of times, it almost has to be forced in, general problem probably is a bad clutch or in need of adjusting.

Any info?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I've arranged a bridge for tomorrow afternoon. I'll dump all the tools I can find into the back of Suzi and have a proper look at it from underneath for the first time. (I' m suspecting that the exhaust might need replacement too soon).

I remember I heard somewhere that once you take the linkages off, you cant put them back on again and need to replace them. Is this correct ? Any tips or tricks that might be useful ? I' ll do it at my uncle's place so i can probably ask him some stuff too, but i dont want to keep him of his own work too much..

Thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    The exact same thing happens in our 206 sometimes, usually when it's cold. Although it can be noticed when it's not engaged properly, the stick is almost there but not quite. When that happens, I just put it on 1. gear, rev it a bit and then put it to the R again, after which it works fine. I never thought of it as a malfunction though, here the temperature often makes trannys a little stiff and - well - it's a french car.
    Just put the lever in neutral and step off the clutch; that should do the trick.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I have no problems with reverse but I have the exact same problem with first gear...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...t=31290&page=2

That's impossible. For example; I'm driving up a hill and wish to parallel-park on the right, and I want to drive straight in instead of reversing because of traffic. I have to go down to 1st because uphill, you can't go that slowly and use clutch control effectively enough in 2nd.

I don't accept that you're not supposed to downchange into 1st if the car's not stationary...it works perfectly fine in most cars. One thing I'm noticing though is that everyone who's mentioned these problems on UCP recently drives a supermini.
    I'm sorry... I forgot the ".."....
    In situations like you talk about here it's probably reasonable... and if the gearbox is good you may do it without problems..
    In fact, maybe many gearboxes nowadays is syncroed in 1st as well, I don't know.. I know mine ain't.. But i have a little diesel and can probably park well in 4th if i wish..

And if you don't "accept" it, it's fine by me.. Do it as much as you want to

Why not just make synchronized shift to first? Didnt' you ever learn to double clutch? Or figure out your exact mph at idle in first, go that speed, and and shift into first. I know this is possible, I''ve gone up and down the gears with no clutch at all, syncroed shifts really aren't that hard once you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Just put the lever in neutral and step off the clutch; that should do the trick.
    Bullseye- Peugeot say you need to stay off the clutch. I've noticed when reversing into the carpark at college- just patience and time

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I'll have to try that once I get to drive again and it doesn't engage properly. It sure would be a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Why not just make synchronized shift to first? Didnt' you ever learn to double clutch? Or figure out your exact mph at idle in first, go that speed, and and shift into first. I know this is possible, I''ve gone up and down the gears with no clutch at all, syncroed shifts really aren't that hard once you get the hang of it.
    My car is a strange one. it idles at 600rpm. Yes, 600.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Our kitcar idles at 312-324 rpm according to the scope

Anyways i did some work on the Alto today. I put it in the air, disconnected the linkage(with some help off WD40), cleaned it all out,greased it and reassembled it. It has been shifting perfect now ! Not only the reverse-problem has been fixed, but also the 1st,2nd and 4th gear. It shifts quite a lot smoother. A trick to remember, as it cost me just 1 euro for three new bolts.

It might need adjusting, thats a really low idle for such a small engine.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

You said your problem was stop and go traffic. Well, as your braking, shift to neutral, and release clutch, as soon as you hit the speed (whatever speed you go in first gear at 600 rpm) just push in the clutch and shift to first, and you should have a perfectly syncroed shift.

Sorry if my explanation was bad its really not hard to do in practice. Alternatively you could learn to double clutch and rev match, or shift without the clutch (neat trick to impress your friends )

Edit: my car idles at between 650 and 750.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    You said your problem was stop and go traffic. Well, as your braking, shift to neutral, and release clutch, as soon as you hit the speed (whatever speed you go in first gear at 600 rpm) just push in the clutch and shift to first, and you should have a perfectly syncroed shift.

Sorry if my explanation was bad its really not hard to do in practice. Alternatively you could learn to double clutch and rev match, or shift without the clutch (neat trick to impress your friends )

Edit: my car idles at between 650 and 750.
    I used your trick too yesterday. I must say it goes much smoother when rolling towards a traffic light. Learning to double clutch is on my wishlist. If my dad has some time, we'll go to a abandoned industrial area and practice around a bit !

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I used your trick too yesterday. I must say it goes much smoother when rolling towards a traffic light. Learning to double clutch is on my wishlist. If my dad has some time, we'll go to a abandoned industrial area and practice around a bit !
    Glad I could be of help Double clutching is not too hard, basically its the same as i described before except with a slight tap on the throttle in neutral. Doing it without the clutch is more difficult, and tough on the transmission, but for me it was worth it to really get a feel for how the engine and transmission work together. You don't really need to go to an isolated spot (unless you live in the city?) any time you've got a bit of distance between the car in front of you you can practice syncroed 3-4-3-4-3-4 shifts all day long.

Driving a with a 16 year old transmission that wasn't even strong enough for the engine when it was brand new and is probably the only bad component on the car... I learned to double clutch fairly quickly

Thread Information