Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Driver in Your Nation, and your Favourite Driver

Best Driver in Your Nation, and your Favourite Driver

This is just a thread I created thinking about drivers from different nations - I hope it stirs some debate and discussion. Select who you think is the best driver(s) from your nation, and include your favourite driver regardless of nation as well.

My nation being Canada, I'd have to say that Gilles Villeneuve is probably the best driver this country has ever seen and is my favourite driver. Gilles tenacity, aggressive driving nature, and results in a car that wasn't as good as the competition are what make him a personal favourite.

His son Jacques gets honourable mention for actually managing to win an F1 WDC, winning the Indianapolis 500, and winning a Cart championship.

Little known Canadian racing fact: John Duff (originally born in China) won the 1924 24 Hours of Le Mans (the second running of the race) In a Bentley 3-Litre Sport. He raced the Bentley after personally appealing to W.O. Bentley in 1923 to run a Bentley at Le Mans. In fact, Duff was the first entrant in the first Le Mans in 1923, but he only managed 4th place in that race. Cool story though!

My favourite current driver is Kimi Raikonnen.

Now what do you guys have to say?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 11-17-2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: fixed a gap

At the moment, couldn't tell u, but
    All Time - Peter Brock (RIP)
    Rally - Chris Atkinson
    A1 - Will Power
    Nascar - Marcos Ambrose ( i think)

and current is Gronholm
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Hmm ... too difficult to pick
    Innes Ireland, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, McNish, Franchitti, Dumfries, Coulthard (just squeezing in)
    Jimmy McRae, COLIN McRae, Louse-Aitken Walker
    Bob McIntyre - first ever 100mph lap of the IoM TT course

DIfficult. I'm tied on Jim and Jackie in racing as they each faced adversity, were tenacious and astoundingly natural racers across multiple disciplines.
    Colin HAS to have it in rallying

Current driver ...
    Controversially Dario Franchitti, didn't hit the pinnacle he deserved perhaps but shown himself a capable driver in US race disciplines. Mainly coz looking forward to seeing how he does in NASCAR. He'll be at home "rubbing" having driven aroudn our streets
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Controversially Dario Franchitti, didn't hit the pinnacle he deserved perhaps but shown himself a capable driver iCAR. He'll be at home "rubbing" having driven aroudn our streets
    Dario did a great this season in Indy Car and I'm surprised that he is leaving for NASCAR. Do you happen to know why he decided to do that? Is there more money in it or something? Got any ideas?

Well, he's always said he raced for the challenge. I did read an article while he was thinking of the move him say that NASCAR would be different for him.
    But - he's a Scot - he was on annual contracts and NASCAR was offering a multi-year deal. he's "getting on" so ... yeah I think it's money
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    and current is Gronholm
    did he move to Australia?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Jeroen Bleekemolen.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    My nation being Canada, I'd have to say that Gilles Villeneuve is probably the best driver this country has ever seen and is my favourite driver. Gilles tenacity, aggressive driving nature, and results in a car that wasn't as good as the competition are what make him a personal favourite.

His son Jacques gets honourable mention for actually managing to win an F1 WDC, winning the Indianapolis 500, and winning a Cart championship.
    QFT.

5 characters minimum.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

The best portugese driver must be Pedro Lamy. He had a brif stint in Formula 1 during the nineties starting over 30 grandprix. Since then he moved to Fia GT where he has won a few races and class wins at Le Mans. He is currently one of the drivers of the peogeot 908 in the european le mans series.

My Favorite driver at the moment must be... raikonen. im just so happy he finally clinched an F1 title after so many years of frustration at McLren.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Ron Fellows could also be considered the best Canadian driver, did lots of great work for the Corvettes at Le Mans.

Im not sure of my favourite drvier now but if I had to pick one it'd be Mcnish.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Jeroen Bleekemolen.
    Robert Doornbos is much better.

By my country, actual time: Pedro Lamy
    By my country, all times: Nicha Cabral

All the world, actual time*: Michael Scumacher (yes, I know is retired but remember this week, in Barcelona...)
    All the world, all times: Gilles Villeneuve

* if my vote is not correct, he go direct to Kimi Raikonnen
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

Quote Originally Posted by ribatejo69 View Post
    By my country, actual time: Pedro Lamy
    By my country, all times: Nicha Cabral

All the world, actual time*: Michael Scumacher (yes, I know is retired but remember this week, in Barcelona...)
    All the world, all times: Gilles Villeneuve

* if my vote is not correct, he go direct to Kimi Raikonnen
    nicha cabral? he only completed like 5 frmula 1 races... what else did he do, i only seem to see that as major acomplishements after a quick google...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

i expected villenueve to be posted by i guy who has him in his avatar

the best driver will be undoubtly robert kubica, probably of all times, maybe sobieslaw zasada achieved somewhat similar prestige

sadly, i don't like any drivers from my country - zasada's old and grumpy, kubica's just a machine that doesn't talk logically (like more human stig), and rally drivers like kosciuszko, holowczyc or kulig are just average but treat themself as kind of legends and stuff, and that's enough not to like them. from all the drivers - that'll be raikkonen as for now
    12 cylinders or walk!

Formula 1 : Jack Brabham
    Touring Cars: Peter Brock

UCP: Clutch Monkey
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thread Information