Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-inventing Lotus

Re-inventing Lotus

This is an article I spoted on Car & Driver:

Having attracted our attention with a smattering of brand-new variants of the Elise and Exige S at the 2007 L.A. auto show, Lotus’s affable chief vehicle engineer, Roger Becker, gave us a rare glimpse into the short- and long-term future of one of our favorite purveyors of sporty automobiles.

“Project Eagle”
    In late 2008 or early 2009, Lotus will introduce a coupe that Becker calls “Project Eagle.” With two-plus-two or two-plus-zero seating and a V-6 engine, Project Eagle (we love the name—please, please, please don’t change it, Lotus) will represent the next rung up on the ladder from the Elise/Exige S. Becker did not say where the engine will be located, although we expect it will be behind the driver, in spite of the difficulties of packaging two-plus-two seating in a rear- or mid-engine car. Lotus did say, however, that the car would have a six-year life cycle before a full model change.

2011 Esprit
    Two years after Project Eagle, we’ll see the long-awaited Esprit replacement, which will use Project Eagle’s platform while wearing “a whole new body.” Lotus would not divulge any powertrain details on this one, but we expect it to be a really fast, V-8–powered, two-seat, mid-engine sexpot, as was the last Esprit sold here in 2004. In other words, it should offer Ferrari F430 coupe and Lamborghini Gallardo coupe levels of performance without the $200,000 price tag.

New Elise/Exige
    In 2012, Lotus will introduce a redesigned version of the beloved Elise/Exige, “a car that will go on forever,” according to Becker. Other than saying it would continue being a featherweight with a mid-mounted four-cylinder engine, he would not elaborate further. No worries. As long as we know it’ll “go on forever,” we’re happy.

Who else thought they saw Reventon in the title
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Wow, seems like a good game plan for the future. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store.

Quote Originally Posted by werty View Post
    Who else thought they saw Reventon in the title
    Look down one post on the most recent posts list......
    You can call me scott.

in my preyers the Eagle is just an Elise with slightly better interior materials and easier to get in an out of.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    in my preyers the Eagle is just an Elise with slightly better interior materials and easier to get in an out of.
    You've got the Europa for that.

The Eagle will be quite different from the Elise if it's going to have 6 cylinder power and four seats.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You've got the Europa for that.
    Well unfortunately for us Yanks, we don't get the Europa. Our choices are between the Elise and her sister the Exige.

Here's hoping Lotus expands it's US line up <crossing fingers>.

Good to hear their preparing for the future and even better still they are keeping their cars light weight and plenty of fun.

My father says hell disown me if i buy a pommy car but I may just risk it for an exige S
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Filovirus View Post
    Well unfortunately for us Yanks, we don't get the Europa. Our choices are between the Elise and her sister the Exige.

Here's hoping Lotus expands it's US line up <crossing fingers>.
    Also the Europa is not much easier to get in and out of. And it doesn't have the option of being able to take the top off.

Also the Europa is not much easier to get in and out of.
    Wow, you've driven the Europa too. You certainly have an exciting job driving all these rare sports cars.

And it doesn't have the option of being able to take the top off.
    And the Eagle does?

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Wow, you've driven the Europa too. You certainly have an exciting job driving all these rare sports cars.

And the Eagle does?
    I've sat in the Europa, but I haven't driven it.

If the Eagle was easy to get in and out of I'd accept a coupe.
    Last edited by NicFromLA; 12-13-2007 at 08:07 AM.

I've sat in the Europa, but I haven't driven it.
    I apologise, there really was no reason for my earlier comment.

Whereabouts did you find a Europa, if you don't mind me asking?

As for the Eagle;

Spied: Lotus supercar

This, according to those who know (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, etc), is it, and not, as is implied by the caption, the new Esprit.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 12-13-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    I apologise, there really was no reason for my earlier comment.

Whereabouts did you find a Europa, if you don't mind me asking?
    I would imagine at this year's Geneva Motor Show, where he accepted the Louis Vuitton Award on behalf of his father ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I would imagine at this year's Geneva Motor Show, where he accepted the Louis Vuitton Award on behalf of his father ...
    This remark actually reminded me of something - I'm pretty sure there was a Momo Mirage thread somewhere on the forum (or at least a post). I think I even contributed to it. However, search results show nothing. Could anyone help me find it? Or is it just my imagination
    Last edited by go.pawel; 12-14-2007 at 03:50 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    This remark actually reminded me of something - I'm pretty sure there was a Momo Mirage thread somewhere on the forum (or at least a post). I think I even contributed to it. However, search results show nothing. Could anyone help me find it? Or is it just my imagination
    It might just be your imagination. I think he still has two of them, but one is not fully functioning. Would love to shoot one of them one day.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information