Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota caught out cheating with their new Lexus IS-F racer

Toyota caught out cheating with their new Lexus IS-F racer

Lexus IS-F racer actually a 2004 Opel Vectra DTM car?

Posted Jan 21st 2008 4:57PM by Jonathon Ramsey

Remember that luscious Lexus IS-F racer study that received its fair share of unrequited attention the Tokyo Auto Salon? According to AutoBild, it turns out the car isn't an IS-F racer at all -- well, at least not beyond the hood and fact that it has four doors. The German paper reports that the car is actually a Lexus reskin of a 2004 Opel Vectra DTM racer (above, top). Even the engine is from the Opel DTM car, and not a Toyota V8. This could explain why no one at the Lexus stand at the salon would say a word about the car.

So Lexus might get away with never claiming it was a Lexus... cough, cough... but it's a bit odd that they would let Winding Road get the idea that it's the pet project of the IS-F's chief engineer, designed to show the true potential of Lexus' hot sedan and "something of what a full race IS-F might just feel like." Perhaps what a full-race IS-F might look like. Unless Lexus really intends for a full-race IS-F to feel like a 4-year-old Opel.

Thanks for the tip, Georg!

Lexus IS-F racer actually a 2004 Opel Vectra DTM car? - Autoblog
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Oh please ... this is just pathetic. From the author that is.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Is everyone aware that all cars in the DTM series run the same chassis/floorplan? With the body panels of the car they are supposed to represent drapped over the top?
    So, if this is a proposed study for a future Lexus DTM racer, there is no cheating going on. It uses the control chassis/floorplan, with Lexus bodypanels. As for the engine - so what. Its a design study. I'm sure any real Lexus racer will have a Lexus V8.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    Is everyone aware that all cars in the DTM series run the same chassis/floorplan? With the body panels of the car they are supposed to represent drapped over the top?
    So, if this is a proposed study for a future Lexus DTM racer, there is no cheating going on. It uses the control chassis/floorplan, with Lexus bodypanels. As for the engine - so what. Its a design study. I'm sure any real Lexus racer will have a Lexus V8.
    Everything used apart from the shell was from a 4 year old Opel, the least Lexus could do was credit Opel for developing the car.
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

BAN them from all forms of motorsport

Like MSN said it more a design study, they didnt even race it so how is it cheating ???
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    Everything used apart from the shell was from a 4 year old Opel, the least Lexus could do was credit Opel for developing the car.
    Everything apart from the shell is identical to any other DTM car. Should they thank Audi and Mercedes Benz as well?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I believe the official story is that no one at Lexus said the car was a Lexus engineering job.

so <shrug>
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    um...or everyone else in the series seeing as they're all identical?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Oh please ... this is just pathetic. From the author that is.
    Agreed. Some people just have too much spare time.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

He posted this on another forum as well ... within a few posts the attention was turned to Audi, who actually race an engine that is based off a Mugen (Honda) design.

(Ted Joans)

Recent threads

Toyota caught out cheating with their new Lexus IS-F racer

Ex-head of Mitsubishi convicted for driver death in recall

Toyota Australia reels from second engine blow

TRD Aurion withdrawn from sale

Anyone recognise a theme here?

Jesus dude get a life.

We all have a our faveorites but hell thats takin git a bit too far.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    Living in North America, home of NASCAR (blech!) I don't I have very little exposure to DTM. So I have to ask: is this true? Are the A4s, C Classes, etc really just the same car with different bodies? What about engines?

Also, what series is it where BMW races the 320i so successfully?

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, that is the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Living in North America, home of NASCAR (blech!) I don't I have very little exposure to DTM. So I have to ask: is this true? Are the A4s, C Classes, etc really just the same car with different bodies? What about engines?

It's a silhouette formula meaning that effectively all cars are raced under the same mechanical components with different bodies on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, that is the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)
    It is. Altough the Seats have been close to beating them the last two seasons.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information