Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Vette C6 SHOCKER!!!

'Vette C6 SHOCKER!!!

Gang,

Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8 - Yahoo! Autos

Corvette is going to a turbo DOHC V8, just over 3 litres. You read that correctly: DUEL OVERHEAD CAMS!!!
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

This is a blasphemy! The marvel of the corvette is its impeccable torque! That lazy power is just not the same as in these high revving european cars. The corvette has always been about torque. It just will not be the same. GM has shot themselves in the foot. I will guarantee you this thing is doomed to failure. It will sell way too few numbers. I am afraid we have seen the death of the corvette
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

It'll still have the LS series, I've no doubt that the little one is for yurpeens while youse lot get your pushrod lumps. GM aren't that dumb.. right?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I doubt this.....

The american car crowd is very hard to please.....ESPECIALLY those vette guys
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

1. Small displacement V8, yes!

2. High revving, YESS!!!!!!

3. Turbo.... just as long as it doesn't take away from what is guaranteed to be a beautiful noise. It most likely will though, in which case I'm not happy.

I am skeptical. One of the reasons why the Corvette is profitable for GM to make is because they just mix and match from the GM parts bin.
    A high-revving three liter V8 wouldn't have much of a place in the rest of their lineup, so they would have to fork out a lot of dough to design one.

This rumor is pure BS. The GM guys have to love it... or they set a trap for a rat. Either way this story doesn't pass the sniff test.

How many high reving turbo engines are on the market? Not many. Typically turbo and high reving aren't paired up. You don't need a 10k red line to get 400hp out of 3L.

Why would GM create an small displacement V8 just for the Corvette that has no more power than the standard V8? The LT5 (the C4 ZR1 motor) was a special motor for the top of the line Corvette. It produced more power than the standard engine. Why bother creating a specialty motor given the very high cost of creating the motor just to produce the same power as the current base engine?

This story is pure BS.

Obviously this story was supposed to break 4/1/11.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    This rumor is pure BS. The GM guys have to love it... or they set a trap for a rat. Either way this story doesn't pass the sniff test.

How many high reving turbo engines are on the market? Not many. Typically turbo and high reving aren't paired up. You don't need a 10k red line to get 400hp out of 3L.

Why would GM create an small displacement V8 just for the Corvette that has no more power than the standard V8? The LT5 (the C4 ZR1 motor) was a special motor for the top of the line Corvette. It produced more power than the standard engine. Why bother creating a specialty motor given the very high cost of creating the motor just to produce the same power as the current base engine?

This story is pure BS.
    Fuel economy.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Fuel economy.
    Ain't going to happen with that motor. High rev'ing motors are not great for mileage. Almost everything you do to make a motor work well at high RPM hurts at low RPM. Fuel economy explains the 5.5L DI engine, not a 10k 3L V8 turbo.

no big deal

"Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists."
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    "Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists."
    So you just when bankrupt and had to saved, and I can imagine the managing board's meeting...

"I know, what we should do our take a niche, low volume(ish) sportscar and make it the same, but then just develop a catastophically expensive engine that isn't as powerful as the standard car and that no one will actually want to buy.

Great idea! Let's do it!"
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The engine would be shared through the Caddy V series as well, apparently. Something about being more high tech. 3 litres seems a little.. small though, especially given the V series would be up against the 4.4TTish M5 and 5.5TT Mercs. Maybe for whatever is supposed to compete with the M3 it could work, or they'll do it in a few different sizes. What confused me was this bit:

The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.
    Undersquare generally doesn't equal high revs, especially when FI'd... or am I missing something?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The engine would be shared through the Caddy V series as well, apparently. Something about being more high tech. 3 litres seems a little.. small though, especially given the V series would be up against the 4.4TTish M5 and 5.5TT Mercs. Maybe for whatever is supposed to compete with the M3 it could work, or they'll do it in a few different sizes. What confused me was this bit:

Undersquare generally doesn't equal high revs, especially when FI'd... or am I missing something?
    First response on the article:
    This article is wrong. Ferraris and Lamborghinis do not have small bores and long stroked. They have huge bores and short strokes. That's how they develope so much horsepower at extremely high RPM's.

so I guess you caught it!
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

im genuinely surprised that Chevrolet would undertake making an F40 equivalent engine

the Mclaren MP4 has shown what modern tech can do for a smaller engine

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    although under & oversquare both have their advantages - neither are restricted to working solely at certian RPM's

especially when FI'ed

Thread Information