Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best car EVER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The best car EVER

Which car do you think is the best automobile that ever came to Earth? Feel free to post your views!

Porsche 911. Because no car has ever blended comfort, practicality, looks, reliability and awesome thrills in to one car like it does..

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Porsche 911. Because no car has ever blended comfort, practicality, looks, reliability and awesome thrills in to one car like it does..
    you sound like me!
    toook the words out of my mouth.
    911 is it!

EDIT:
    untill now i would consider the 911 (993) as the one i liked the most, and because it ws the last air cooled 911. however, now i think the 997 is number 1.

so i say 911 (997) as the greatest.
    Last edited by ZeTurbo; 01-26-2005 at 10:19 PM.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    you sound like me!
    toook the words out of my mouth.
    911 is it!

EDIT:
    untill now i would consider the 911 (993) as the one i liked the most, and because it ws the last air cooled 911. however, now i think the 997 is number 1.

so i say 911 (997) as the greatest.
    i think its the 996 gt3 rs, its just the most pure successor to the 2.7 rs ever

EDIT: but yeah, the new carrera s with sport chrono pack, pccb (porsche carbon ceramic brakes), pasm (porsche active suspention maneagement) and all the track goodies it awesome
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

London, UK..but from South Africa originally
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    The Beetle...or as I like to call mine, a Baby Porsche.. if it weren't for beetles, there may not have been Porsches.
    BEETLE - By Everyone's Experience They Last Eternally

Thats a difficult choice, but the original Mustang has to be up there. It was the first real performance car for the masses at a reasonable cost, attractive styling and great potential for self-modification.
    No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar. ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Nella
    The Beetle...or as I like to call mine, a Baby Porsche.. if it weren't for beetles, there may not have been Porsches.
    I agree porsche sure wouldn't be around if it wern't for the beetle, the first 356 was constructed off of a beetle frame.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

The 911 is clearly a superior car. But a precursor, the 356 Super 90 SC is for me the hands-down best all-round "GT" car of its time. It had leather upholstery and all the comforts of home in the cockpit. But the light-weight features included plastic windows with pull-up straps plus aluminum doors, hood and rear deck-lid. The motor was 1585 cc, redlined at about 6500 rpm, with a 4-speed gearbox and disks on all 4 corners.

My own experience with one was co-driving David McClain's #7 car in the 1965 Daytona 2000 Kilometer race, where we finished 11th OA and 1st in Class, 5 laps behind the Cobra of Graham Shaw and Dick Thompson.

Through practice and the race, the car literally ran like a clock, handled like a dream, stopped on a dime, used a couple of quarts of oil and 2 sets of pads, and had never a hiccup. We managed to beat a whole garage-full of heady rolling stock, while tooling along in total comfort...well, pretty good conditions anyhow.

I've raced a Ferrari 250 GTO for 3 years, and owned rear-engined and front-engined road Porsches, but I'd take that cozy, responsive little 90 SC any day!
    Larry

Welcome, Larry, impressive story

a 356 SC is currently being raced in Europe in the Sixties Endurance Series. Owned by Bill Stephens and shared by him and his son Will it is strong participant in this two hour race. The car is of interest because when Bill got it he found out that it was the last factory RHD SC produced.

Porsche 356 SC - Chassis: 131928 - Driver: Bill Stephens / Will Stephens - 2018 Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

well said spastik, I agree 100%

i think its not the porsche, i would prefer to go with some thing like a Mercedes E55 AMG because that is pure luxury ,class, and brute force, i think also its quite affective because it is unsespecting with looks, but has a hidden 5.5 liter , 500bhp engine..
    i would also say that the new aston DB9 would beat off a porsche with a stick...

the ford mustang, revolutionary in the 60s an 70s an still goin strong. I dont see this car losing the throne for a while to come, it shows no sign of ageing. Although the best was arguably the 1967 Mustang GT range and ofcourse the shelby gt500, ford show signs of bringing the mustang back to how we loved it most. Brilliant car

'55 300 slr coupe

MY favorite car company has been and always will be Porsche, just because of their original styling, good sports car practicality, and awesome performance. Yet, I still think that one of the best cars ever would be:

Benz 1955 SL300 Gullwing Coupe
    Gemballa's Porsches, Simply the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by elsamico
    i think its not the porsche, i would prefer to go with some thing like a Mercedes E55 AMG because that is pure luxury ,class, and brute force, i think also its quite affective because it is unsespecting with looks, but has a hidden 5.5 liter , 500bhp engine..
    i would also say that the new aston DB9 would beat off a porsche with a stick...
    E55 just is a bit too subtle. Its the wow factor of the Porsche, the styling that everyone recognises, that makes it such a great car. The greatest car in the world will never be a sedan, its too boring and conventional.

And with the Aston DB9, I don't think so...

Porsche 911 996 Turbo: 0-60 in 3.9 secs, on to a top speed of 189MPH

Aston Martin DB9 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, on to a top speed of 186MPH..

Thread Information