Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Turbo Jenken's FD

Thanks, Street Port With 3MM Apex Seals are $3500 if rotor housings are good. If not the housings are 650 a piece.

Pettit Racing

good to hear you got it back and running, saw a pair of sweet FD's today..the more on the road on the better!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Pine tree-1, Mazda-0

I got out of the car grinning, because I am happy to be alive! The accident really put my life in perspective for me. Prier to the accident I imagined loosing my car would be as traumatic as loosing a friend or family member. Its just a car, It will not be my last RX7 and certainly not my last sportscar.

Thursday night I was on my way to Augusta Georgia for one of my best friends weddings. I had been looking forward to driving my FD across Georgia for weeks. I was looking forward to the 5 hour drive so much that I ignored better judgment and drove the FD even though there was a 50% chance of rain. The first 4 1/2 hours of the trip were country roads and the weather wasn't a problem. Just before I got to I-20 for the last 30 min, the bottom fell out.

I was turning onto the on ramp in the hard rain when the back end broke free. I remember admiring the balance of the car as I corrected. Unfortunately I corrected too much , and exited the road back end first. I completed my 360' spin during the 3.5 meter decent into a row of pine trees. After the frontal impact I spun 180' in the opposite direction before coming to a stop.

I'm at odds with the insurance company right now because they want to declare her totaled and give me about 60% of the cars market value. On the other hand the body shop told me that they could replace the entire front end of the car with new parts for about what my insurance company wants to total the car for. The bodyshop said they have a machine which uses lasers to align the frame and suspension, and that it would actually be straighter than before the accident. Neither option is perfect, but I'd rather take my chances on the repair than only have enough cash to buy a project car.

My accedent happened about 30 hrs before my birthday.
    I only sustaind a few bruises and suffered a splitting headache the next day.

The damage:
    Attached Images Attached Images

hard luck! accidents suck! Great your OK but its the hastle of insurance and repairs now. Hope it goes as well as it can though.
    autozine.org

Thank you, Its nobody's fault but mine, so its hard to get real upset over the situation. I'm just glad to be here with intact mind and body.
    Last edited by Turbo.Jenkens; 05-20-2008 at 02:00 PM.

That sucks dude....It was a lovely car.

I'd be concerned with a new front end if the Chassis is bent. even with a laser alignment it will still not be 100%, despite what they said.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    I'm at odds with the insurance company right now because they want to declare her totaled and give me about 60% of the cars market value.
    What did you insure it for? Agreed value or Market value?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Dude that's terrible. If you can't fix it and decide to buy another FD, keep this as your parts car. I'm debating buying a run down VR4 that i can use as my parts car.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Well, glad to hear that you're okay.

Things are looking up. It turns out the adjuster is an enthusiast, and he has really been working hard to make things right. Faxed him all my recites today, well at least the big ones. He told me since the work done at Pettit was under warranty there was a good chance he could add the price of the engine rebuild to the value of my car.

I also talked to Cam today and he said he could rebuild it for about 40% less than anyone else because he already has most of the parts.

My options are looking better than yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have any spare cash right now because I'm entering a real estate venture (even let my premium subscription expire.)

Worst case senario they'll give me enough for a rough 944t or 300zxtt. In that case I'll probably do without a sportscar for a year or more and then find a nice RX-7. Even my worst case senario isn't that bad, again I'm just glad to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    What did you insure it for? Agreed value or Market value?
    My insurance company automatically insured it for the N.A.D.A. value. I had an idea that due to the collectible nature of the car it would be worth more than it was insured for, but I didn't realize how drastic the difference would be. My policy is lapsing in a month and I had plans to have it appraised and insured for a higher value. Procrastination = FAIL

bad luck mate, at least your in one peice
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Well, Its been a boring summer without my baby. I finally came to a compromise with the insurance company. The rebuild has turned out to be more expensive and take longer than expected, but if everything turns out well it will be worth it. The frame rail, front fascia, AC compressor, radiator, and power steering pump are new. The oil cooler and all the little things not mentioned are used parts. I don't want to be too optimistic (to avoid catastrophic disappointment) but I have full faith that if anyone can make her drive like new again its Pettit Racing. I would be picking her up next week, but because of complications with work I will have to wait until the 13th.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Thank you,

Will definitely get around to the suspension, but its pretty far back on the list. I plan on steel braided brake lines new pads and drilled rotors before x-mas. And at some point these rims:

sweet @ss wheels!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thread Information