Page 58 of 101 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Modified torque converters and fluid valve bodies, gear cutting, bearings and fluids specific for application.
    I was hoping for something a bit more granular than this. How does a higher stall torque converter or modified valve bodies protect an automatic transmission?
    "Conventional racecar design theory does not apply when you go supersonic."

As any engineer knows, protection isn't always prophylactic and how the transmission is utilized (abused or not) can help. Coolers are obviously a plus for extreme use and environments. Not sure what you mean by "granular", but to revisit your question the same thing that damages manual transmissions can kill autoboxes: gear wear, bearing failure and heat.

So the modifications are similar. External coolers, bearing and gear design, etc.
    Torque converters aren't just modified for stall speed, but also weight and capacity.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

How much of a difference do modern tires make on an old car?

It wouldn't be advisable, no?

Modern tyres one old cars can potentially cause issues around drivetrain components that aren't designed to cope with the additional adhesion provided by new tyres. So you gotta be careful with that. If not being pushed to limits it's not designed to reach though it should be fine.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

also old performance cars factor the tyrewall compliance in to the suspension design. So new tyres can screw the handling. Michelin made old tyre size for matra bagheera as new low profile were dangerous when pushing hard
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

As any engineer knows, protection isn't always prophylactic and how the transmission is utilized (abused or not) can help. Coolers are obviously a plus for extreme use and environments. Not sure what you mean by "granular", but to revisit your question the same thing that damages manual transmissions can kill autoboxes: gear wear, bearing failure and heat.
    I just purchased my first "performance" vehicle with an automatic, a forester xt with the 4eat. On the rx-7 the only problems with the manual transmission are primarily due to drivetrain movement (worn mounts) or instantaneous torque loading (highly modified cars launching at a drag strip).

By granular I mean what are the main things that break, and what can be done to "harden" them.

I'm aware that just about every sporty all wheel drive has drivetrain issues, and I want to mitigate them before I break my new car.

So the modifications are similar. External coolers, bearing and gear design, etc.
    Torque converters aren't just modified for stall speed, but also weight and capacity.
    Valve bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    How much of a difference do modern tires make on an old car?

It wouldn't be advisable, no?
    I've never heard that this was a problem. With late model cars vs modern cars you can usually pick up a few tenths of a G in steady state cornering. A change of tires can make a great deal of difference in a cars handling behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBoost View Post
    I just purchased my first "performance" vehicle with an automatic, a forester xt with the 4eat.
    If you going to do some engine work this article may be of interest to you, if you weren't already aware of the similarities with the STI:

Building Your Own Subaru Forester STI - Modified Magazine
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Yeah, I'm looking at some mild work. Keeping the stock injectors and ignition system. vf43, equal length headers, divorced catted downpipe, catback, and new tmic.

Should be good for 300-350 hp/tq and surprising most anything at a light. Trouble is they make that torque so low and have so much grip, I don't want to put my car out of commission.

So here is what I believe to be a 1986 BMW K1200. It's engine is what intrigues me - at first, I thought it may be a flat-8, but I am not inclined to think that is the case anymore.

Is it longitudinally mounted (car speak) and canted at a 90 degree angle?

EDIT: I guess a pic would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Is it longitudinally mounted (car speak) and canted at a 90 degree angle?
    Yes it is.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Sure it's not a K100?

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_K100]BMW K100 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

There's a fellachap at work with a new K1300R. I think I like it..
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That motor looks like the older cousin of what they are using now in the K1200 RS, which was the same engine they use in Formula BMW cars....its a inline 4 lying on its side...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    That motor looks like the older cousin of what they are using now in the K1200 RS, which was the same engine they use in Formula BMW cars....its a inline 4 lying on its side...
    Well, no it isn't. Partly because the K1200RS doesn't exist anymore (they're on the 1300 now), but when the 1200 came out the motor was changed so now it's across the frame and not flat, just heavily inclined.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Well 1200 exists when the Formula BMW car came out (2002 IIRC)....

I am not versed in their bike model lineup though, but it was off this bike:
    BMW of Santa Cruz County - 2003 K1200GT
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

yes. As said it's a 4 cylinder laid on it's side. Earned the nickname "brick"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information