Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharging a Diesel

Supercharging a Diesel

I was just wondering, it is possible to turbocharge a diesel engine but is it possile to supercarge one. I cannot think of anything stopping this but there could be something im missing.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

turbo diesels are much more effiecient. its easier to use a diesels exhaust as opposed to its crankshaft. also diesel's don't have high rpms to spool the supercharger fast
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

almost all large marine diesels have superchargers in addition to superchargers. just helps get enough air in the huge cylinders.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    turbo diesels are much more effiecient. its easier to use a diesels exhaust as opposed to its crankshaft. also diesel's don't have high rpms to spool the supercharger fast
    It's turboes that need to spool...

Centrifugal superchargers also need to spool, but positive displacement such as screw and roots type superchargers dont. I would think that the extra exhaust gases from diesels would put turbos at even more of an advantage over supercharging however.
    I am the Stig

The main reason is that diesels don't rev very high, so it is far more efficient to use a turbo. And what that guy said^^

But it does get me thinking...
    My websites:
    OSx86 Library: http://www.osx86library.com/

a positive displacement supercharger(kennebell, whipple, lynsolm(sp?) twin-screw's come in mind) would probably do well on a diesel, those superchargers usually start spooling sometime after 1k rpm, full boost by ~2krpm on a gasoline engine.

a turbo is more efficient though, specially when truck diesels run 30+ psi stock.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

This is freaky - I was just wondering about this earlier (trying to think of an example of an s'charged diesel car engine), then I log onto UCP and it's at the top of the screen...

...I'm a psychic!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I been driving a Turbo Diesel all day Mazda BT-50 Big Testicals.. ****en thing flys, I hate a diesel engine note but get out and boot it and watch the speed build with ease and feel the belly in the back seat and then watch your fuel gauge do nothing then you understand why they are good..

Hey Henk i loved it especially when i pulled away from a Commodore V6 that was sideways and a Falcon that tried to pass me on the wrong side
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    also diesel's don't have high rpms to spool the supercharger fast
    That's not an issue, a car engine can't spin a supercharger to the ten's of thousands of rpm they spin at. The gearing in the supercharger takes care of that.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    I been driving a Turbo Diesel all day Mazda BT-50 Big Testicals.. ****en thing flys, I hate a diesel engine note but get out and boot it and watch the speed build with ease and feel the belly in the back seat and then watch your fuel gauge do nothing then you understand why they are good..

Hey Henk i loved it especially when i pulled away from a Commodore V6 that was sideways and a Falcon that tried to pass me on the wrong side
    It seems we can welcome a new member to ourr religion In my driving lesson car (2.2 turbo diesel) we were easily able to do the same. I loved the dash to 120 when entering the highway's. Also traffic lights were sooo fun and easy (yea, my instructor did not mind). It could easily drive away in 3rd gear, my current ride or my dad's even has trouble with 2nd (that is without a burnt clutch ).

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    I been driving a Turbo Diesel all day Mazda BT-50 Big Testicals
    no idea what it is...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    It seems we can welcome a new member to ourr religion In my driving lesson car (2.2 turbo diesel) we were easily able to do the same. I loved the dash to 120 when entering the highway's. Also traffic lights were sooo fun and easy (yea, my instructor did not mind). It could easily drive away in 3rd gear, my current ride or my dad's even has trouble with 2nd (that is without a burnt clutch ).
    If i had the money i would buy a Turbo Diesel.. Did your instrutor like you pulling wheelies

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    no idea what it is...
    MAZDA BT-50 B2500 DX details - CarPoint Australia
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I hunt TDI's
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    I hunt TDI's
    not so difficult to find....easy target therefore
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information