Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ^ i'll link you to that WW1 ace who would only use 3-5 bullets for each kill. can't remember his name atm.
    That's because they had issues with shooting off their own props. Using fewer bullets minimized the possibility of the timing belt failing or something similar and shooting yourself down.

Know a guy that restores old planes and he recently did a WW1 era plane complete with the traditional sealant for the fabric of the body (basically thermite.) He says once a fire starts on that cloth, nothing will put it out.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Had an interesting last kill tonight before shutting it down. Playing on the training mode I set up a match with me in a bomber (trying to practice my gunner station skills) vs a pair of 109s. I had gotten pretty shot up before I downed the first target, and was watching the remaining plane make a wide circle about to get around behind me for another run. I started pumping out shells from my rear gunner's chair and suddenly noticed the 109's prop stop turning (must have put a shell through the engine). I watch him slowly decend to the ground......and land it.........no power. I was impressed. So much so, that I flew low overhead and drop a few bombs on him to congratulate him on his cool under fire.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Had an interesting last kill tonight before shutting it down. Playing on the training mode I set up a match with me in a bomber (trying to practice my gunner station skills) vs a pair of 109s. I had gotten pretty shot up before I downed the first target, and was watching the remaining plane make a wide circle about to get around behind me for another run. I started pumping out shells from my rear gunner's chair and suddenly noticed the 109's prop stop turning (must have put a shell through the engine). I watch him slowly decend to the ground......and land it.........no power. I was impressed. So much so, that I flew low overhead and drop a few bombs on him to congratulate him on his cool under fire.
    How nice of you.

It is damn impressive! I set-up a training match against 16 BF-109s earlier with veteran pilots...I don't think I fared too badly - ran-out of ammo with my first Hurricane so I deliberately crashed it into a 109 (head on), but finished the match with my second, making my kill/death ratio 8/1.

I am still stuck on the "Fox Hunt" mission though - I STILL can't find the 109's I'm supposed to shoot down after bombing all the German warships. Where did you find them?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    It is damn impressive! I set-up a training match against 16 BF-109s earlier with veteran pilots...I don't think I fared too badly - ran-out of ammo with my first Hurricane so I deliberately crashed it into a 109 (head on), but finished the match with my second, making my kill/death ratio 8/1.

I am still stuck on the "Fox Hunt" mission though - I STILL can't find the 109's I'm supposed to shoot down after bombing all the German warships. Where did you find them?
    After finishing off the last 3 destroyers the 109's you're supposed to shoot down should be all around you. Are there any enemy planes around when you're attacking the warships? What difficulty are you playing on? I just gave it a whirl on Arcade and everything went as it was supposed to.

After finishing off the last 3 destroyers the 109's you're supposed to shoot down should be all around you. Are there any enemy planes around when you're attacking the warships? What difficulty are you playing on? I just gave it a whirl on Arcade and everything went as it was supposed to.
    I'm also playing on Arcade at the moment,

After destroying the first 2 ships, you get redirected to have a go at the 3 German destroyers. At this point, there were some 109s flying around so I (or my wingmen) shot them all down before finishing-off the destroyers.

The game then told me to shoot down some German fighters, except there are none left to destroy...

...on my second playthrough, I left the 109s alone, intending to shoot them down after bombing the shipping...except my wingmen took them all out before I was finished with the destroyers - the end result was the same: No 109s to destroy at the end of the mission.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Have you tried landing at the destination airfield? I read in another forum that some guys were having this same problem but were able to get a mission completion by going to the landing strip. Also, you must have much better wingmen than I.......I managed to shoot down nearly twice as many 109's as the rest of my squadron combined.

Seriously though, you should still have some 109's left after bombing the warships. If not, I'd try making a landing at the airfield to see if that helps.

I find it quite exciting....especially compared to all the relatively dull WWII flight games that have come onto the scene in recent years.
    there havent been many , not even half a dozen!

the WW2 CFS genre is a small , starved market . IL2 has been its backbone ever since november 2000

if you like this watered down console version , you will be blowen away by the PC replacement to IL2:1946 . . . . . coming out late 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    there havent been many , not even half a dozen!

the WW2 CFS genre is a small , starved market . IL2 has been its backbone ever since november 2000

if you like this watered down console version , you will be blowen away by the PC replacement to IL2:1946 . . . . . coming out late 2010
    Thank you for that correction and your all so brilliant insight. What would we do without you?

well its not like you were posting & knowing what you were on about eh

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    well its not like you were posting & knowing what you were on about eh
    Well, yes......actually I did know what I was talking about. The last few WWII based flight games I played on a console were dull and uninteresting. Just because I didn't rattle off a list 10 games long doesn't make my opinion any less valid. This game (IL-2 BoP) is heads and shoulders above any other WWII flight game I've played on a console. Now maybe it's not the big bucket of awesome that flight games on the PC are, but it wipes the floor with all console competition.

And back on topic, I think they've released an update patch for this game sometime in the last week or two. I noticed the P-51D no longer handles like it's toting a dead elephant in the undercarriage. The plane was practically unflyable in the Realistic and Simulation modes before. Much better now.

Thread Information