Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is Madness...?!

this is Madness...?!

A friend of mine just bought the new Sony PS3 "slim" with "uncharted 2" with the 250 gb disk at 349 € (plus 20 € for an HDMI cable).
    Is it madness, when for 269 € you can have the top of the line Xbox360 Elite with the "Halo pack" (Halo 3, odst and the beta of "halo reach") ?

I'd have gone for the 360 just because Forza 3 is coming out in 10 days or so while GT5 is unlikely to ever see the light of the bluray laser.
    Or maybe I'd just have waited for the updated Xbox 360 (spring 2010?).

For the record, he didn't give in his old PS2 (slim) or any game, does it make sense?

Opinions thanks
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 10-13-2009 at 11:40 AM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Madness.

While I have not played enough games over the past few years to really know well for myself, there only a few PS3-only games I have enjoyed, primarily MGS4, Little Big Planet and Team Fortress (which should not count). On the other hand, it seems every major release for the 360 (that is not available for PS3) gets me to debate the benefits of getting my 360 fixed and to Ohio again.

As for my friends, only the hardcore PS fans seem to be enjoying the PS3, really. My 360-owning/playing friends are having a much better time, I would say.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    A friend of mine just bought the new Sony PS3 "slim" with "uncharted 2" with the 250 gb disk at 349 € (plus 20 € for an HDMI cable).
    Is it madness, when for 269 € you can have the top of the line Xbox360 Elite with the "Halo pack" (Halo 3, odst and the beta of "halo reach") ?

I'd have gone for the 360 just because Forza 3 is coming out in 10 days or so while GT5 is unlikely to ever see the light of the bluray laser.
    Or maybe I'd just have waited for the updated Xbox 360 (spring 2010?).

For the record, he didn't give in his old PS2 (slim) or any game, does it make sense?

Opinions thanks
    Only the bolded bit is madness
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I bought the PS3 Slim at the current discounted price of $299, and got MGS4 for $25 bucks used.....Depends on what you want out of it, as a BD player its a bargain, as a gaming console its so-so. But as both it's pretty hard to beat, especially if you watch HD stuff on Bluray...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I can see myself paying 300 $, not 350 € though.
    AFAIK 300 $ are worth more than 300 € in their respective countries.

He is really into copying DVDs, while Bluray movies cost about 25-35 €, against a 8-20 € range for DVDs (20 € is for collector's editions with 2 discs and the likes).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post

I'd have gone for the 360 just because Forza 3 is coming out in 10 days....
    My plan exactly. In the UK though its Elite+Halo+another game for £199, bargain. I'm hoping they put Forza in the deal
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Yeah, it really depends on his uses. I would have gone for the PS3. I'm never home to play, so paying for Live is useless for me.

boys ... stop bickering.

THIS is the only MADNESS that ever counted ....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZNSyP9v9M"]YouTube - Madness : Driving In My Car[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doiaKo_AjY4"]YouTube - Madness house of fun music video[/ame]
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-14-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I got the PS3 not too long ago, and that was mainly because of its BD capability. Yes, I watch a lot of movies, and image quality -- although the PS3 output ain't stellar -- is great with BD.

Edit: Forgot my point; it depends on your perspective. If it includes BDs, then the X360 is a no-go. If it's purely gaming, well, an X360 wouldn't look too bad.
    Last edited by Rasmus; 10-14-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Turning money into memories.

Depends on what games you want to play, what your friends are playing (for multistuff) and other assorted whatnottery. I don't have one and I'm unlikely to because there's not enough games on there I want.

worth that price for uncharted 2 alone!

The PS3 has always been more expensive, as it came out more recently and has more expensive technology. Should've seen it before the Slim came out, it was even more expensive
    PS3 owners such as my self are awaiting the day when PS3 games have a big quality difference over the 360, so that we can justify our purchases. Games like Uncharted 2 should help, as will GT5 if we ever get to play it.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    The PS3 has always been more expensive, as it came out more recently and has more expensive technology. Should've seen it before the Slim came out, it was even more expensive
    PS3 owners such as my self are awaiting the day when PS3 games have a big quality difference over the 360, so that we can justify our purchases. Games like Uncharted 2 should help, as will GT5 if we ever get to play it.
    No need to justify your purchase to anyone, I say. If you enjoy playing games on your console of choice it doesn't matter which console is doing better in the market or what gamers think of it or you. JMO.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

GT5 with as much development time as it has had better break serious gaming grounds when it is released..

I do feel like one sometimes must justify a purchase (even if its to yourself). I dont buy games that are not multiplayer, as it is the social aspect of gaming I enjoy - For the most part I dont see as many PS3 users on the playstation network in the scale of the xbox live. However I do not know as many people with PS3's as Xbox's. Perhaps the memebers of UCP can shed some light. How often do you jump on PSN?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I barely ever go on PSN because I'm never playing the PS3 anyway. So the PS3 is the right system for me.

No TV at college + college = no PS3 for me. My dad is usually watching Blurays and the Top Gear that I put on it.

And when I do go home, I do a bit of light gaming, if I even have the time for it.

Thread Information