Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The fight for Chrysler

The fight for Chrysler

A new candidate has reportedly entered the market: Hyundai. The Koreans are allegedly interested in the Jeep part of Chrysler...upon the publication of the rumours the share value of Hyundai dropped considerably....
    On another note, Renault/Nissan might be interested in RAM part....while also Viper could be sold separately (no potential buyers named as yet) VW is named as a candidate to take over the MPV section...

So Chrysler can keep the 300 range and the Sebring while Dodge is left with Avenger and the Caliber..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

thats really interesting. hard to imagine a company parcelled up quite like that. is there any other instance where a single car was sold off from a lrger company as its own brand? the only one i can think of is the jeep from AMC, and im not even really sure about that.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    thats really interesting. hard to imagine a company parcelled up quite like that. is there any other instance where a single car was sold off from a lrger company as its own brand? the only one i can think of is the jeep from AMC, and im not even really sure about that.
    didn't BMW sell Landrover to Ford?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I heard rumours for Viper being bought by someone but I think it was all speculation - as I recall it was a performance modification company like Saleen or some other company of that ilk.

Unrelated: Saleen is tyring to sell itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Unrelated: Saleen is tyring to sell itself.
    You make it sound like you'll see it hanging around on dodgy street corners..
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    A new candidate has reportedly entered the market: Hyundai. The Koreans are allegedly interested in the Jeep part of Chrysler...upon the publication of the rumours the share value of Hyundai dropped considerably....
    On another note, Renault/Nissan might be interested in RAM part....while also Viper could be sold separately (no potential buyers named as yet) VW is named as a candidate to take over the MPV section...

So Chrysler can keep the 300 range and the Sebring while Dodge is left with Avenger and the Caliber..
    It's sad to see Chrysler in such a bad state. It's always been my favourite american car maker.

Then again we could buy the remains of Chrysler and turn into our own UCP car manufacturer or something.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    You make it sound like you'll see it hanging around on dodgy street corners..
    Maybe that will be their strategy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's sad to see Chrysler in such a bad state. It's always been my favourite american car maker.

Then again we could buy the remains of Chrysler and turn into our own UCP car manufacturer or something.
    search back for the ucp supercar, and you'll see what a bad idea that would be.

Wow, I didn't know they can just take specific models, such as the Viper only.

So they technically can't make more models then other than the Viper, right?

And why does Hyundai want it anyway? It's not like their SUV offerings are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, I didn't know they can just take specific models, such as the Viper only.

So they technically can't make more models then other than the Viper, right?

And why does Hyundai want it anyway? It's not like their SUV offerings are horrible.
    well, they would do with the Viper what GM has considered doing with the corvette in europe. dissociate it with the parent brand (Dodge or Chevy, respectively), and make it its own brand that is in a higher strata than the parent brand, so you dont have a viper next to a caliber and a corvette next to a matiz.

this does a few things. it allows you to lower the standards of your lower market segement cars without damageing the reputation of the halo cars. and it also gives you more development freedom with not having to conform to corporate styling, etc.

i think it woudl be effective for an emerging market that doesnt already hold the traditions of a brand to a particular car, or as a way for the car to re-invent itself with a new look or ethos. like cher. or it could expand the model into an entire series of cars, such as a viper sedan, or a 4 cyl viper miata hunter. the ideas are limitless. but is truely sad that the corporations that have survived since the teens are being dissolved right before our eyes.

Right. I'm buying everything related to Hemi if they go under.

Hemi from the late 1950's to the early 1970's that is.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Right. I'm buying everything related to Hemi if they go under.

Hemi from the late 1950's to the early 1970's that is.
    You have million billion moneys?
    Crhysler hasn't made much that I've really like in the past few years (ACR excluded), but I'd rather they didnt sell themselves
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    You have million billion moneys?
    Crhysler hasn't made much that I've really like in the past few years (ACR excluded), but I'd rather they didnt sell themselves
    Me neither, nor GM actually.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

well, they would do with the Viper what GM has considered doing with the corvette in europe. dissociate it with the parent brand (Dodge or Chevy, respectively), and make it its own brand that is in a higher strata than the parent brand, so you dont have a viper next to a caliber and a corvette next to a matiz.

this does a few things. it allows you to lower the standards of your lower market segement cars without damageing the reputation of the halo cars. and it also gives you more development freedom with not having to conform to corporate styling, etc.

i think it woudl be effective for an emerging market that doesnt already hold the traditions of a brand to a particular car, or as a way for the car to re-invent itself with a new look or ethos. like cher. or it could expand the model into an entire series of cars, such as a viper sedan, or a 4 cyl viper miata hunter. the ideas are limitless. but is truely sad that the corporations that have survived since the teens are being dissolved right before our eyes.
    True, it makes sense from that standpoint. But not calling it a Dodge Viper would be a bit weird. It doesn't make it sound attainable anymore if you change the brand name, do you understand? For many people, it's always been known as the Dodge Viper.

Hummer.

Thread Information