Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Fighters

Mom's a nurse, friend of the family was a medic in the army, most of my friends mom's are nurses (weird), and I have worked with firefighters. Not in anything related to fires, though, it was their second job. I'm not much for helping people so it's not really my thing. Tried being a volunteer firefighter in moscow but they told me they already had enough. College town and women like the uniform, go figure.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I'm volunteer too, but I just got FF1 this summer. It's fairly easy but lots of hours. Where do you run?
    My father used to be the chief of the department so I've been around the place for years and years. I think I know more than most of the rookies coming out of FF1. Do you guys have a drill team? Shit is mad fun and lots of free beer.

Our B truck has a 454 big block and does 0-82 MPH in like 800 feet. It's a hell of a ride.
    Last edited by baddabang; 08-12-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    My father used to be the chief of the department so I've been around the place for years and years. I think I know more than most of the rookies coming out of FF1. Do you guys have a drill team? Shit is mad fun and lots of free beer.

Our B truck has a 454 big block and does 0-82 MPH in like 800 feet. It's a hell of a ride.
    To be honest some of the class is just useless and there's no replacement for experience, but there are also things that I learned that are really relevant. One of the few things I don't like about the fire service is people always want to act like they know more than they do... guys take one class or see one fire and think they're suddenly god's gift to firefighting. That's probably what you're talking about with rookies coming out of FF1.

Nah we don't have a drill team that I know of... sounds like a fun truck but the way some people drive scares the crap out of me no matter what I'm riding

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    To be honest some of the class is just useless and there's no replacement for experience, but there are also things that I learned that are really relevant. One of the few things I don't like about the fire service is people always want to act like they know more than they do... guys take one class or see one fire and think they're suddenly god's gift to firefighting. That's probably what you're talking about with rookies coming out of FF1.

Nah we don't have a drill team that I know of... sounds like a fun truck but the way some people drive scares the crap out of me no matter what I'm riding
    the basic schools are useful for learning how to wear your SCBA, getting the FFE on, and being able to identify a lot of the equipment. there is NO replacement for real life experience, and live training with your specific team.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    oh come on now, there are far better cars to go fast in . pffff a ford crown vic lol.
    im sure they have faster ones in the states then here. there is never a car chase in Redneck Edmonton.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    im sure they have faster ones in the states then here. there is never a car chase in Redneck Edmonton.
    Usually they make for the best chases.

As for our cars being faster, surely the Camaros, Mustangs, and other pursuit specials are faster, but your average copper is in a Crown Vic probably similar to what you canucks are using.
    The damn FBI and NSA took all the Marauders, and like I said, the pursuit specials are pretty few and far between. (see my post in the "'I just saw a...' thread")
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Usually they make for the best chases.

As for our cars being faster, surely the Camaros, Mustangs, and other pursuit specials are faster, but your average copper is in a Crown Vic probably similar to what you canucks are using.
    The damn FBI and NSA took all the Marauders, and like I said, the pursuit specials are pretty few and far between. (see my post in the "'I just saw a...' thread")
    all i ever see thats actiony is usually the sound of the sirens and a Margue gunning it down our pothhole riddled roads. i think the states have exciting things down thar when it comes to car chases.
    PINGAS!!!!

all i ever see thats actiony is usually the sound of the sirens and a Margue gunning it down our pothhole riddled roads. i think the states have exciting things down thar when it comes to car chases.
    In LA it is one of the more popular pastimes, along with stalking celebrities and protesting stuff no one else cares about. Not so much where I live.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Not really. Even out here in the "Wild West"() we don't have that many. I have seen two in person and only a few more on the news. Keep in mind that a country with 300 million people is bound to have more than a country with only 10% of that. That and America has its fair share of nuts, daredevils, and morons. Perhaps our chases are covered better by the media, but sadly not everybody is forced to pull lurid tailslides by the cops every time they get into their car.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    In LA it is one of the more popular pastimes, along with stalking celebrities and protesting stuff no one else cares about. Not so much where I live.
    i think you guys have some cool stuff, like the stores and stuff. we used to have a KMart here, now its gone. not saying that KMart is cool or anything.
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I'm going out to protest that post right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the basic schools are useful for learning how to wear your SCBA, getting the FFE on, and being able to identify a lot of the equipment. there is NO replacement for real life experience, and live training with your specific team.
    Agreed. Although with most volunteer depts, the chances of doing repeated training with your specific team are pretty low... ours is worse than most because we have ~120 members. So while I'll know the people I'm on call with, there's a good chance that I won't have burned with all of them and a very low chance that I've worked with that exact group.

As far as classes go, mine was pretty good I think, we did a lot more hands on a practical stuff than classroom, but I would still say that only 20-20% was actually good practice. I'm hoping that Engine Ops and Truck Ops will be more useful but we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Amberjhons View Post
    Volunteers
    thanks for the input, as far as firefighters vs police, ill admit this may be true.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jezSeQnfCg"]YouTube - The Complete Policeman vs Fireman[/ame]
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    thanks for the input, as far as firefighters vs police, ill admit this may be true.

YouTube - The Complete Policeman vs Fireman
    lol. Awesome.
    Big cities suck

Thread Information