Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 / 2011 Formula 1 Silly Season

No, Ferrari forced Sauber to call their engine "Petronas" back in the days, and I think they did something similar with other teams.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    while i completely agree with you, Infiniti doesn't put their name on anything in the engine bay of their own cars. so why would they start with an F1 car?
    Because the whole point of the exercise is to change the marketing plan. If Infiniti isn't careful Hyundai will surpass them in the luxury market. Hell, even Audi has had a resurgence during Infiniti's tenure.

BFF and I mean forever!

BFF and I mean forever!

:-)

^^^

According to PlanetF1, the Infiniti deal regards both the engines and the money:

Quote Originally Posted by PLF1
    Red Bull claimed the double last season, powered by Renault and opted to extend their deal with the French carmaker.

However, this year the engines will no longer be called 'Renault'. Instead, they will be renamed 'Infinitis'.

According to the BBC, the deal is expected to boost Red Bull's coffers "by at least £7m", which equates to "about 4-5% of their total budget" as they will be receiving the engines for free.

The deal is intended to boost Infiniti - the premium brand of Nissan, which is part-owned by Renault - name on the global stage.
    On the other hand if you read what Infiniti has to say it appears it's just a sponsorship and that possibly in two years (2013) it could become something more:

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Europe
    Infiniti, the global luxury automotive brand from Japan, announced today a marketing agreement with Formula One World Champions, Red Bull RacingRenault, covering the 2011 and 2012 F1 seasons. Leveraging the co-operative power of the Renault-Nissan Alliance, a unique triumvirate has been created with Red Bull Racing, focused on high-profile marketing and technical activities around Formula One.

As part of the agreement, Infiniti will have a high-profile branding presence on the racing car, drivers’ clothing and related team uniforms and equipment. In addition to the branding and marketing relationship, Infiniti will work with Renault to forge future technical collaboration with Red Bull Racing. The Red Bull Racing team will continue to utilise the Renault F1 engines in 2011 and 2012 that powered them to their maiden Formula One World Championships last season.

Commenting on this historic announcement for Infiniti, Andy Palmer, Senior Vice President, Infiniti said: “Over the mid-term, Infiniti will be simultaneously expanding its global presence and broadening its product range. Given these twin ambitions, it is clear that Formula One offers us an unrivalled global communications platform, complementing Infiniti’s ethos of Inspired Performance. We are excited to have the opportunity to enter Formula One together with a world-class team like Red Bull Racing Renault.”

Red Bull Racing’s Team Principal Christian Horner, who was instrumental in pulling the agreement together, said: “Red Bull has always taken a different approach, so when the

Infiniti executives outlined their innovative plan to us we were very open to working with them. Coming off the back of our 2010 Drivers’ and Constructors’ World Championships, we feel even more excited to be starting the 2011 season with a new and committed partner like Infiniti.”

Bernard Rey, President of Renault Sport F1 further endorsed the new deal: “While Renault is rightfully very proud of our achievements within Formula One, we know the future is about collaboration. To have a talented and committed Alliance partner like Infiniti is very welcome as we set out on the current and future challenges in Formula One. So it is with great pleasure that I would like to welcome Andy Palmer and his entire team in our Formula One adventure, and I look forward to starting the 2011 season together as Alliance partners.”

I doubt Carlos Ghosn will like the idea of having 2 in-house F1 engine program. Though with the coming rule to move to small turbo-charged engine, it might be right up Nissan's alley...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The engine rule change would probably be a good time for a re-branding.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

"Let it Rain!"

"Let it Rain!"

Bernie is simply getting old. And losing his marbles. What would the consequences be if someone were to get injured under this plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Because the whole point of the exercise is to change the marketing plan. If Infiniti isn't careful Hyundai will surpass them in the luxury market. Hell, even Audi has had a resurgence during Infiniti's tenure.
    check out the current article on auto extremist mentions a lot of what you just said.

[i tried to find a permalink, but alas was unable to.]
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

He puts a finer point on it...more than what I pieced together surfing around...as well he should with his industry experience.

BTW, here's a branded Indy car engine and they also have engines in Daytona Prototypes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yeah, Infiniti and Oldsmobile engines. very silly. but then again that's indy cars for ya.

i didn't think they currently had any engines in GrandAm. there has been talk of a G35/37 GT car, but that remains to be seen. i'm hopeful for that though, it would be nice to see them race against the RX-8.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Yeah, the G35 in Grand Am was suppose to show up a couple years ago IIRC.

Would be good to see it in there.

Thing is the they are not "rebranding" those. Nissan/Infiniti is the same for all intents and purpose. Rebranding a Renault though I think is what they are objecting to....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Well, the ownership mix is kind of funky....Renault owns 44% of Nissan....Nissan owns 15% of Renault....judging from that I'd think Renault has the marketing position in the whole matter. They have a conundrum in trying to rise more than one of their ships under one ploy.

Just some elaboration on the "Let it Rain" comment by Ringle:

"With the new season just three weeks away, Ecclestone has also proposed the introduction of a controversial computer-generated sprinkler system to spice up boring races with artificial rain.

At some time during the race it will be raining, maybe rain more than once. It's a bit more than a sprinkler system.

We always have thoughts to do what we can to keep people entertained, we're in the entertainment business."

Hey, Bernie sounds like he's opening up to new ideas; good on you bernie...reading on:

Ecclestone was also critical of the new moveable rear wing that has been introduced in a bid to improve overtaking.

"I don't support it at all," he complained. "It's unnecessary and will lead to more and more protests and upheaval. I don't see how it can operate properly."

WTF BERNIE

So, F1 was just another racing category, something done for the sake of it.
    Then people liked it and started following races also on TV.
    So they turned F1 in an entertainment circus.
    Eventually, people grow bored with it.

How about just plain racing?

Thread Information