Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet (A209) 2005-2007

Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet (A209) 2005-2007

Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet:
    The world’s fastest open-top four-seater

Frankfurt/Main, Sep 14, 2005
    High technology derived from motorsport, the handling dynamism of the racetrack, a sensational visual appearance and the utmost exclusivity – the new Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet is guaranteed to make the hearts of true car lovers beat faster. A limited edition of 100, the CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet is capable of a fulminating performance with its 428-kW/582-hp AMG 5.5-litre, supercharged V8, a newly developed AMG sports suspension, optional sports tyres and aerodynamics refined in the wind tunnel: this high-performance AMG sports car accelerates to 100 km/h in just 4.0 seconds and has a maximum speed of 300 km/h (electronically limited). This makes the new high-performance AMG Cabriolet the world’s fastest open-top four-seater.
    The great demand for the CLK DTM AMG Coupé, which was likewise a limited edition of 100 and rapidly sold out, provided the initial impetus for the development of the powerful high-performance AMG Cabriolet. It was also modelled on the most successful car in the German Touring Car Masters – the racing version of the Mercedes-Benz CLK with which Bernd Schneider was able to win the DTM championship in the 2003 season. The equipment of the CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet also takes its lead from the racetrack: AMG sports bucket seats with leather/Alcantara upholstery guarantee optimal lateral support, while the buckskin-covered, oval AMG racing steering wheel and the AMG instrument cluster with its 360 km/h speedometer scale lend an unmistakable motorsport touch to the interior.

The exterior design of the new CLK DTM AMG already suggests outstanding performance at the level of thoroughbred sports cars, and demonstrates the transfer of top-class technology from the world of motor racing: a deep-drawn front apron with large air inlets, prominently flared wheel arches, 19 and 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels and the diffuser-look rear end with its aerofoil are reminiscent of the successful CLK racing tourers from the DTM. Numerous body components are made from particularly strong and lightweight carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CRP), for example the bonnet, doors, front wings, flared rear wheel arches and aerofoil.

Performance at the level of a super sports car

The Cabriolet is powered by the supercharged AMG eight-cylinder engine, which is familiar from other AMG cars but has been specifically reengineered with modifications to the crankcase, pistons, valve gear, cooling, intake manifold, supercharger and exhaust system. The AMG V8 engine generates a maximum output of 428 kW/582 hp at 6100 rpm from a displacement of 5439 cubic centimetres, while the maximum torque of 800 Newton metres is available at 3500 rpm.

Instant response to movements of the accelerator, a powerful surge of torque, exhilarating liveliness and an unmistakable V8 sound are the particular strengths of this ultra-powerful, supercharged AMG 5.5-litre V8 unit, which gives the new CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet the sort of performance levels found in super sports cars. the 100 km/h mark is reached from standstill in just 4.0 seconds, and the top speed is 300 km/h (electronically limited) – no other open-top four-seater in regular production can match these figures. A racing touch is also provided by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission: the five gears are changed by briefly pulling the shift paddles on the steering wheel, with extremely short shift times guaranteeing a particularly sporty and direct driving experience.

Newly developed torsion suspension, limited-slip differential

The suspension is fully the equal of the high-performance engine. In line with usual motor racing practice, a height-adjustable torsion suspension system is used. The rear axle has been redesigned with completely new spring links and wheel carriers, as well as reinforced drive shafts. The usual rubber elements are replaced by uni-ball joints on both axles to produce outstandingly precise handling. A multi-disc limited slip differential on the rear axle ensures optimal traction, while acceleration skid control (ASR) and the Electronic Stability Program ESP® have been adapted to suit the increased performance potential.

Optional Dunlop sports tyres for particularly good grip

Outstanding road contact is provided by the optional sports tyres by the DTM motorsport partner Dunlop; these size 225/35 R 19 (front) and 285/30 R 20 (rear). These tyres have particularly good grip and are fitted to multi-piece 9 x 19 and 10 x 20-inch AMG twin-spoke light-alloy wheels. These elegant spokes are not only an eye-catching feature, but also ensure effective ventilation of the brakes. Superb deceleration is provided by the newly developed AMG high-performance composite braking system with six-piston fixed callipers at the front and four-piston fixed callipers at the rear.

Functional racing atmosphere in the interior

The interior of the CLK DTM AMG is characterised by a functional motor racing atmosphere, with a judicious touch of the exclusivity expected of a genuine AMG high-performance car. AMG sports bucket seats of ultra-light CRP with leather/ Alcantara upholstery provide the occupants with outstanding lateral support, while the AMG sports steering wheel with its oval rim is covered in high-grip buckskin and gives the driver an excellent feel for the vehicle. Like the instrument cluster, the door linings and other interior components are of lightweight CRP. The silver-coloured shift gate, starter button and four rocker switches are eye-catching features on the redesigned centre console.

Despite a performance potential worthy of the racetrack, the CLK DTM AMG has all the virtues typical of any Mercedes model: everyday suitability, durability, safety, quality and standards of service to satisfy even the most demanding requirements. The fast AMG Coupé is hand-assembled in close cooperation between Mercedes-AMG GmbH and H.W.A. GmbH. The latter is one of the most successful touring car racing teams, and is also responsible for assembly and operation of the current C-Class DTM cars. The first of the limited-edition CLK DTM AMG Cabriolets will be delivered to customers during the first half of 2006. Mercedes-AMG GmbH is responsible for marketing, sales and service.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now thats a nice merc....
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Oh My God...........I love it.

I'd say: Now that's a stupid merc.
    What the hell is a huge wing doing on the back of a cabriolet? That car is horrible and doesn't make much sense to build an extreme performance car in cabriolet shape. It's not either elegant or brutal, but a clumsy mix.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Nice clown car! Mercedes did it once again!!
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

What the hell have soft-tops got to do with DTM? You can't try trading on the cache of the marque's DTM success (one of the most sophisticated TIN-TOP race series) with a cabriolet, it's just nonsense if you ask me. It would be the equivalent of Porsche releasing a 991 GT3 RS soft-top. RACE CARS DON'T HAVE SOFT-TOPS!!!
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 09-15-2005 at 09:33 AM.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

my god i want one

there is something about it thats just
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

I'd say that nobody interested in the CLK DTM as a performance car would buy it as a cabriolet. People that are interested to show off in it would. Most people will regard it as a car out of MAX Tuning, with the according stock motor underneath the hood.

A shame for AMG to be part of this.

It's the ultimate autobahn cruiser!!!
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

The kind of person who would buy a DTM AMG would not want a cabriolet version. The type of person who would buy a CLK cabrio would not buy that 1. Please tell me who this kind of car would appeal to?
    DB9, DBR9 and DBRS9 lover
    UCP's biggest Maserati MC12 fan

DTM and cabriolet - two great ideas that DON'T go great together...

DTM and cabriolet - two great ideas that DON'T go great together...
    Ur right - they are: DTM is great separate, not so sure about the carbrio - lacks the X factor
    DB9, DBR9 and DBRS9 lover
    UCP's biggest Maserati MC12 fan

wtf drop top? wrongness

Please...you know they will sell everyone of them that they make. It might be a marketing ploy with the DTM, but it's a good one at that because of one word: exclusivity. Who would ever think that people would buy a multi-million dollar car...yet there is the Bugatti. Moreso, if Bugatti made a softtop Veyron, they would double the price, and STILL sell everyone of them. I don't think it's a more pointless car then let's say a Hummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    It's the ultimate autobahn cruiser!!!
    or the ultimate car not to wear a wig in
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

Thread Information