Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugatti Veyron W16 Engine

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia

Bugatti Veyron W16 Engine

(from Bugatti Press Release) The trials of the fastest road sports car in the world have been successfully completed. One of the most ambitious projects in automobile history is entering its production phase. The first Bugatti Veyron 16.4 cars, built mainly by hand, are already being completed and will be delivered to customers this year.

The sports car, capable of more than 400 km/h, is driven by a 16-cylinder mid-engine, that at 710 mm
    long is no larger than a conventional V12 unit, and due to its lightweight construction weighs only
    about 400 kilos. Its compact dimensions are due to the unique arrangement of its cylinder banks in
    a W configuration. Two VR8 blocks, each with a fifteen degree bank angle, are joined in the crankcase
    to form one engine. Both eight cylinders are set at an angle of ninety degrees to each other and are
    aspirated by a total of four exhaust gas turbochargers. The engine delivers 1001 HP at 6,000 r.p.m.
    and provides a maximum torque of 1250 Newtonmetres at between 2,200 and 5,500 r.p.m.

To apply the power of the 64-valve unit to achieve satisfactory driving dynamics both in everyday traffic
    and on the racetrack, the Bugatti development team of Dr. Franz-Joseph Paefgen and Dr. Wolfgang
    Schreiber has realized a propulsion unit that is without parallel in its complexity. If the extreme
    engine power is a master stroke of genius, its conversion for road use is an equally tough challenge.
    As Dr. Schreiber says “For 1000 HP propulsion power, the system demands approximately 2000 HP
    to be additionally generated as heat energy during combustion. Half in each case is dissipated in
    the exhaust gas and cooling water”.

To do this, the Bugatti engine has two water circuits. The larger of the two with 40 liters of cooling
    water has three coolers in the front section of the car, to keep the engine at operating temperature. The second circuit, called the low-temperature system, has a separate water pump and contains 15 liters of cooling water. These are used to cool, by up to 130 degrees, the charged air, heated during compression in the turbochargers, in two heat exchangers mounted on the engine. The cooled, charged air then passes through two “air manifolds” into the combustion chamber, which it then leaves as exhaust gas at approximately 1,000 degrees. It then passes through the turbines of the exhaust gas turbochargers. This causes the exhaust gas to expand, so that it is cooled by up to about 150 degrees, is then cleaned in the catalyzer and exhausted.

In addition to its unique compactness, the high performance of the power unit is the centrepoint of
    the development. Lightweight materials are used that not only result in a low power-to-weight ratio but
    also particularly provide the spontaneous response of the moving engine-internal masses. In addition
    to piston rods of titanium, the so called “easy runners”, the eight-stage oil pump integrated into
    the crankcase for dry sump lubrication has light aluminum gears. Because the arrangement of the
    16 cylinders ensures extremely quiet running, only a small flywheel is needed. The use of motor sport
    technology is evident not only from the plasma-coated running faces of the cylinders but also by the use of high-strength steel for the shafts and gears in the aluminum crankcase.

Unique in engine design is the integration of knock and misfiring detection in an ion current system.
    Because the multiplicity of cylinders means very quiet running and ensures that the velocity difference
    will be extremely small in the event of a cylinder misfire, cylinder-selective detection by measuring
    rough running is not reliable enough. Therefore, Bugatti Ion Current Sensing (BIS) is used. The ion
    current flowing at each spark plug at the timepoint of ignition is monitored by a separate evaluation
    sensor system. The data obtained is passed to both engine control units. If knocking combustion or
    a misfire is detected, the associated control unit immediately initiates countermeasures, such as
    retardation of the ignition timepoint, shutdown of the cylinder or reduction of the charge pressure.
    According to the head of Bugatti Unit Development Gregor Gries, “The aim of our technology is
    to generate the maximum performance from the engine in a stable, clean manner”.

The power generated in the engine is transferred to the flange-mounted direct manual gearbox (DSG).
    The torque and speed is then transmitted, through the gearing of seven forward and one reverse gear,
    via a universal drive to the front axle gearbox and via a second universal drive, along the right side of
    the engine to the rear axle gearbox. Both the DSG and both axle gearbox housings are of lightweight
    aluminum construction. The drive power is distributed to the front and rear axles by means of a Haldex
    coupling, an actively-controlled multi-disk, inter-axle lock directly connected to the front axle gearbox.
    The following front axle differential distributes the power to both front wheels. In the rear axle differential
    the power is distributed to the rear wheels via a bevel gear and a further differential. In addition, an
    actively-controlled, hydraulically-actuated, multi-disk differential lock is installed here. When necessary, it prevents speed differences between the rear wheels and ensures optimum directional stability when accelerating and when cornering under load. All load distribution functions are completely automatic and are undetected by the driver.

The Bugatti marque has since earliest times been regarded as a central force in the advancement of
    automobile development by innovative solutions. A position deservedly maintained by the first
    high-performance sports car of the modern Bugatti.
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

What a fricken beast The turbos dont look too big tho, get some form of boost controll on there and up the boost to 20psi of so any you'd be looking at 1400hp

64 valve!!! mine only has 8! lol
    Last edited by 85RX7; 10-19-2005 at 01:01 AM.
    Self confessed boost junkie:)
    84' Nissan N12 EXA, E15ET turbo.....with upgraded turbo:)
    UCP's biggest Afro on a white man!!!

i like the original "lamborghini"idea of putting th gearbox at the drivers side f the engine,and then using a shaft through the engine to power the rear wheels.

Unlike all the critics say this car is phonemanol *spelling?* I think this car will be a pure super car. W16 is two V8's right?
    All bowlers need a 'Hammond Step-up'

"Do you think we'll actually find a communist Car that we actually like?" - James May

Quote Originally Posted by kentuki
    Unlike all the critics say this car is phonemanol *spelling?* I think this car will be a pure super car. W16 is two V8's right?
    It says it right here:
    Its compact dimensions are due to the unique arrangement of its cylinder banks in
    a W configuration. Two VR8 blocks, each with a fifteen degree bank angle, are joined in the crankcase
    to form one engine.
    Oh, and it's phenomenal .

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    Oh, and it's phenomenal .
    Thanks to the new UCP update there is now a built in spell checker.
    Look at the top right of the reply box and you'll see ABC and a tick.
    Voila, no more spelling problems
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Thanks to the new UCP update there is now a built in spell checker.
    Look at the top right of the reply box and you'll see ABC and a tick.
    Voila, no more spelling problems
    why do you manage to always being served. I am sure it must have been put there specially for you. In this reply I clicked on ABC and I got a pop-up blocker standing in the way.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

HA HA ive just read the first drive of the bugatti in autocar the guy said the cars amazing drives amazingly can do anything

but at the end of the article he said that its too clinical too engineered so it misses the point of being a super car and involving u

but it still is a very competent car
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

lets leee if the car has wat it takes to be a SuperCar......

Quote Originally Posted by nisham
    lets leee if the car has wat it takes to be a SuperCar......
    I don't think it has what it takes.

Care to explain?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the engine, I want to know how two Vs beside eachother can rotate a single crankshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Care to explain?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the engine, I want to know how two Vs beside eachother can rotate a single crankshaft?
    Same as the W8 but longer.
    Here are some images from the W8.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...3&d=1122592514

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...8&d=1122594077

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...5&d=1122593732

Here's a cut through of the W16
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...2&d=1105557717
    Last edited by 90ft; 12-13-2005 at 01:56 AM.

Im so much in awe of this machine...now that its finally being tested in the main-stream by people like Autocar and TopGear, it just compounds my feeling of utter reverance of the thing... i love it to bits, im kinda glad i wont get to drive it otherwise Id be even more gutted that I cant afford it like JC said.....
    Porsche!

A few pics I picked up recently. Apologies if these are already on UCP. not all these are entirely engine but are technical all the same. spot the W18 (i dont want any omg1100!winnar expressions - it was 3 inline 6s to one crankshaft that was dropped), perhaps someone can shed some light on the car in question however.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (104.1 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (115.8 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (126.6 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (123.9 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (122.3 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (114.3 KB, 15 views)
    autozine.org

---->
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (112.8 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (123.5 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (111.5 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (113.5 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (118.0 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg 12.jpg (112.5 KB, 18 views)
    autozine.org

Thread Information