Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of Gas.

88.4 this morning. Continue to go down please.

k thx.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Diesel is under €1 again and petrol around €1.10. Can't give you the exact numbers since I never bother to actually look at the price. You have to fill up either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Diesel is under €1 again and petrol around €1.10. Can't give you the exact numbers since I never bother to actually look at the price. You have to fill up either way.
    Hmmm, so it the norm for diesel to be cheaper than petrol in other countries? Over here diesel has always been around 10% or so more expensive than petrol. I've often thought about going for a diesel car, but you need to do a lot of mileage to reap the monetary benefits of the extra mpg of a diesel.

Petrol is down to 91.9p per litre at my local supermarket. Any threat of the price hitting bottom and bouncing up again is currently being offset by some cut-throat competition between the major supermarket chains.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

95 petrol is now 0,95€/l to be exact.

Filled up the Mini. God, I love this car...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Hmmm, so it the norm for diesel to be cheaper than petrol in other countries? Over here diesel has always been around 10% or so more expensive than petrol. I've often thought about going for a diesel car, but you need to do a lot of mileage to reap the monetary benefits of the extra mpg of a diesel.

Petrol is down to 91.9p per litre at my local supermarket. Any threat of the price hitting bottom and bouncing up again is currently being offset by some cut-throat competition between the major supermarket chains.
    Here diesel has always been ~25% cheaper than gasoline, but then about a year and a little more ago it overtook gasoline and hasn't come back down to below the price of gasoline yet. A diesel car would have to get fantastic mileage right now because gasoline starts at about $1.80 per gallon all the way up to $2.15 a gallon, but diesel is still up near $3. So it would have to get nearly 50% better mileage compared to a comparable petrol powered car.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Here diesel has always been ~25% cheaper than gasoline, but then about a year and a little more ago it overtook gasoline and hasn't come back down to below the price of gasoline yet. A diesel car would have to get fantastic mileage right now because gasoline starts at about $1.80 per gallon all the way up to $2.15 a gallon, but diesel is still up near $3. So it would have to get nearly 50% better mileage compared to a comparable petrol powered car.
    not so difficult considering the average mileage of american cars
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    not so difficult considering the average mileage of american cars
    I figured that was coming. Consider a Jetta 2.0T compared to a Jetta TDI, for instance, neither is an American car. There are no American diesel cars, just diesel trucks.

I figured that was coming. Consider a Jetta 2.0T compared to a Jetta TDI, for instance, neither is an American car. There are no American diesel cars, just diesel trucks.
    out of curiosity, which is the smaller diesel American engine?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    out of curiosity, which is the smaller diesel American engine?
    Smaller of what? There are only a handful of American diesel engines, the smallest of which I know of is a 6.XL, GM planned to produce a 4.5L, but that might have been scratched because of their current condition.

Smaller of what? There are only a handful of American diesel engines, the smallest of which I know of is a 6.XL, GM planned to produce a 4.5L, but that might have been scratched because of their current condition.
    wops, I meant "smallest"

thanks btw

MY memory is a bit foggy here, but I think diesel went past gas somtime in the 90s over here.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Yeah, ever since the lower sulfer content rules came into effect diesel's been more expensive, and that's probably not going to change since our refineries are making so much more gas than diesel.

The problem is that the vast majority of refineries are for producing petrol.
    Bringing on new diesel refineries or converting petrol ones is very VERY expensive.
    As demand for diesel climbed in Europe because of tax breaks then the law of supply and demand kicked in and production couldn't' meet demand and so prices went up !! ( and governments dropped tax breaks )
    With oil back down at $60/barrel there won't be any investment in new infrastructure so demand will keep prices high and delay the US from matching the petrol infrastructure.

I reckon diesel is going to be one of those short-term gains that will slowly evaporate (!) as new technologies come available.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

besides, diesel was made up with product waste from petrol refinement, now it needs to be itself refined to match the quality requested by new engines and emission levels.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    MY memory is a bit foggy here, but I think diesel went past gas somtime in the 90s over here.
    Not here at least, I remember it being $0.30-0.40 less per gallon just a few years ago. Possibly because of our proximity to the refineries?

Thread Information