Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrysler Cordoba (2nd gen) 1980-1983

There is a Japanese car culture, just by dint of there being so many people in the Tri-State area. You just have to seek it out.

Imports were always slightly less derided in Canada and there is a big scene here. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't agree for 4 months here in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Not a problem, haha. Post as you see fit.
    The funny thing is that these aren't even from the USA, one of them is from Barcelona and the other is from the Netherlands.

Old American cars are hilarious, they tried so hard and also failed so hard. Just curious, do you guys even see these cars Europe? I'm from New York, so the salt is quite inhospitable to cars in general and I literally see none of these cars you guys post about. I've seen older model Toyota Camry (Camries? plurals are confusing), even older Mitsubishi Diamante, Subaru Leones. But never malaise era American cars.
    I have never seen these cars in real life either. But I also think not many came across the pond. Because they were gas guzzlers in general.
    We do see the occasional Eldorado or Caprice also form the malaise era. (nice word: malaise)

But the styling of these land yachts are intriguing me.
    Speaking about it, last week we came across one in a parkinglot. I had to take a picture. My kids had there own thoughts about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    But you see the different now, in the Northeast right? Way less old stuff. The climate is a huge factor for car culture.
    Certainly. Add in New Englander's antipathy towards cars and you have generally cheaper cars because they're cheaper to replace and less-durable goods than they are at home. That and access to subprime credit which gives people the illusion that they can afford a boat; for which, of course they need a truck. Also, Subarus... Down on the Sound there is a vein of Anglophilia which means that nice XJ8s and XJ12s are temptingly-cheap. (So far, I have somehow proven smart enough not to pull the trigger) There's more money down there, so the cars' owners can afford to be a bit more whimsical.

I stumbled upon a lowrider/hydraulics meet the other day, and it was so surprising to see those kinda cars here. I imagine they're common sight in LA.
    They were certainly around when I were a lad. Lowriders were the first cars that made me understand that performance wasn't everything. Back before I could drive, I was a fairly numbers-driven guy, but seeing lowriders glide down the street and dance helped me learn that there's more to cars than numbers. Throw in a growing appreciation of Chicano culture and some homesickness and they're one of my favorite genres of custom.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    I have never seen these cars in real life either. But I also think not many came across the pond. Because they were gas guzzlers in general.
    We do see the occasional Eldorado or Caprice also form the malaise era. (nice word: malaise)

But the styling of these land yachts are intriguing me.
    Speaking about it, last week we came across one in a parkinglot. I had to take a picture. My kids had there own thoughts about it.
    Malaise era is a real thing haha, it even has a Wikipedia page on it.

I remember seeing a Lincoln Continental parked in a lot once and being gobsmacked at how cool it looked. It had so much presence and it was wonderful to see how well it was preserved. No wonder this car was used in the Matrix. It also has suicide doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information