Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first car =]

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California

Looking for my first car =]

I'm out looking for a real car that I can actually call mine. I have 3000 dollars and can make a loan for a couple more. I've been driving for less than a year so I don't want something overly powerful, so no muscle car guys saying ls1 firebird/camaro. I do know quite a bit about cars and I've driven my fair share of decently quick cars. I want something the will be somewhat reliable, quick, can seat four, not costly on insurance, and can be easily worked on/tuned. I'm planning on taking the car out on track days. I've been looking at mid 90s Subaru Imprezas, BMW 325i (E36), Toyota Corolla SR5 (AE92), Toyota Cressida 1989+. Any suggestions? Help please? lol
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You only get two.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You only get two.
    Yeah that makes sense, ok well if it helps I want something the will get me to 60 in the 7 second range, something that isn't going to break every time I step on the gas, and imagine I have $5000 to toss around.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

something cheap as a runabout until you get more money, imo
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

sentra SE-R, mkIV GTI, E30, civic, older impreza/wrx, FC RX7
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I don't think I've ever heard RX-7s described as reliable.
    Buy something light. A light shitbox can often times be quite fun.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

they are plenty reliable if you drive them the way they are supposed to be driven. there are rules to owning a rotary, and if you follow them, they will last for ages.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    sentra SE-R, mkIV GTI, E30, civic, older impreza/wrx, FC RX7
    How would you say an e30 with a straight 6 or a vr6 mk4 golf is? Have you driven them? The e30 looks damn nice and temping.
    -Jeremy Clarkson

you said you were looking for reliable though
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The 3series isn't that bad on reliability I've seen around here. Not too many young people are driving them, so as a result they haven't been molested lol
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I'd go for the E36 if I were you. Just saying.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

I like the e36 a lot and its a fairly reliable car, and its practical and fast, just the only drawback might be insurance. Its pretty high for new drivers anyways so oh well lol I'll be looking around
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Listen to cmc, not other teenagers. The RX7 is bulletproof if serviced and driven properly... an e36 for cheap will bury you in costs, as at that price deferred maintenance is a given. Older BMWs like the e10 can be had if you look, and are cheaper to run. Alternatively, Civics, Corollas and air-cooled VW's are good choices in your price range. Lots of choices though, search your area Craigslist using price as a filter. Good luck!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Safety is not a concern ? Try crashing an E30 into a modern SUV. There will be nothing left of the E30.. and you.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Listen to cmc, not other teenagers. The RX7 is bulletproof if serviced and driven properly... an e36 for cheap will bury you in costs, as at that price deferred maintenance is a given. Older BMWs like the e10 can be had if you look, and are cheaper to run. Alternatively, Civics, Corollas and air-cooled VW's are good choices in your price range. Lots of choices though, search your area Craigslist using price as a filter. Good luck!
    My first choice on a car I know will be reliable is the Corolla. The rx7 seems like a good choice if I going to run it on the track, but how exactly are they supposed to be driven? I'm pretty sure they can't be thrashed around, most cars can't be and running costs that might be a problem. Do you think a properly tuned Corolla will make a good track car? I can find Corollas in good condition all day for a couple thousand dollars, the only drawback they have engines built for economy and are fwd. My current car is a Corolla, I don't want it anymore since it got t-boned by a ricer Honda. Could a ford focus be an option?
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information